Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,600,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No but I drive past it every day so its just seems weird that you missed it with the sign on the left side before PIB, the exit only signs at GM Plant and Buford Highway.

It's 7 lanes, 3 go straight and 2 each for 85 North or South so its puzzling that you could miss it with all the signs.
Try it at night and then come back and tell me how easy it is. I drive past it two or three times a week during the day. It's a totally different animal at night. I got on at PIB. When you have 85 going in two different directions, Chamblee-Tucker AND 285 WITH oncoming traffic, it's very eady to miss. And try being on top of SJ in the dark, pretty damned scary as well.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,664,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Try it at night and then come back and tell me how easy it is. I drive past it two or three times a week during the day. It's a totally different animal at night. I got on at PIB. When you have 85 going in two different directions, Chamblee-Tucker AND 285 WITH oncoming traffic, it's very eady to miss. And try being on top of SJ in the dark, pretty damned scary as well.
I work overnight so it was dark when I checked this am before sunrise. It is very lit by the GM Plant.

ETA: You edited while I was posting. If you got on at PIB, I'm even more shocked that you missed it but you did so, I don't know.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,281,437 times
Dude I don't care who you are, I honestly don't. You came at me negative first, so I'm gonna come right back to you with the same fierce energy and then some.

And you don't determine who wins and loses in this game...neither do I. Only Time and human destiny will unfold the ultimate outcome. Always has been the case, always will be the case.

So please feel free to revel in your own false righteousness. I insist on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
So you admit you were wrong? Good for you. Your Rush Limbaugh comment proves you haven't a clue about me or ANYTHING to do with this subject. You can "push back" as long as you want, march with Louis Farrakhan in the streets and start a new race war if you want ... BUT YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE. Because at the end of the day ... YOUR FACTS ARE 100% WRONG!

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-11-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,817,309 times
i am a fan of streetlights, although i can't say i care for the sodium vapour lights. i miss the days when atlanta's streets were a soft bluish-green from the glow of mercury vapour lights:

the sodium vapour lights used now have a harsh daytime-desert glow.

however, despite that, i do feel that many freeways are lit unnecessarily. there's no reason to light up freeways without complicated intersections, no pedestrian walkways or cyclists.

however, i am diametrically opposed to those who say that streetlights are not necessary at all‚ that i believe is crazy— roads are not only built for cars, they're built for pedestrians, cyclists, etc., and streetlights for roads that accomodate these alternative forms of transportation ensure the safety of these individuals not only crime-wise but also to make sure they don't get run over! so, no, headlights are not an alternative to streetlights. that is a very narrow-minded view that only takes in mind the existence of cars on a road.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Are the Atlanta Expressways So Dark?-240549_282069965236609_1044573639_o.jpg  

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM

3,692 posts, read 5,934,858 times
FWIW I'm looking out the window at the downtown connector right now and the high masts are all lit.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
I agree. Moving from LA to here, the whole area is just dark. In LA, it's just lights, lights, and lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i am a fan of streetlights, although i can't say i care for the sodium vapour lights. i miss the days when atlanta's streets were a soft bluish-green from the glow of mercury vapour lights:

the sodium vapour lights used now have a harsh daytime-desert glow.

however, despite that, i do feel that many freeways are lit unnecessarily. there's no reason to light up freeways without complicated intersections, no pedestrian walkways or cyclists.

however, i am diametrically opposed to those who say that streetlights are not necessary at all‚ that i believe is crazy— roads are not only built for cars, they're built for pedestrians, cyclists, etc., and streetlights for roads that accomodate these alternative forms of transportation ensure the safety of these individuals not only crime-wise but also to make sure they don't get run over! so, no, headlights are not an alternative to streetlights. that is a very narrow-minded view that only takes in mind the existence of cars on a road.
Wow, that picture of Atlanta back then is amazing. Atlanta looks very dense. Manhattanish....to say the least.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,905,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali 2 Tha South n Back View Post
Even California freeway systems are safer to drive at night in the urban regions than in Atlanta, despite limiting their lighting to exit and entrance ramps. Also bright road reflectors and lights from elevated suburbs compensate for it too.
I've driven Atlanta freeways but not late at night, so I can't comment too much on them but freeways in LA are like you say only lit on exit and entrance ramps. Usually just a couple of lights on each side. What really keeps our freeways lit is that there are always lots of cars on them even late at night. However if you drive on freeways out here very late at night - like maybe 2am to 4am - they can indeed be very dark if you're not around other cars.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,664,529 times
I guess, I pissed off the Baltimore/DC Welcoming Committee with my comment

Quote:
You're out of your mind. Baltimore/DC is VERY well lit up on ALL highways. Name one that doesn't have lights on it. Not 695, not 95, not 495. Just because ATL sux doesn't mean you can trash other cities.
CHART On The Web

Go to 95/route 100...pitch black... 95 and Waterloo Rd/Rt17, pitch black, it's even dark in the city limits near Canton Avenue and the West side of the Beltway (695 not 495) ...well lit, my ass....

Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Dude I don't care who you are, I honestly don't. You came at me negative first, so I'm gonna come right back to you with the same fierce energy and then some.

And you don't determine who wins and loses in this game...neither do I. Only Time and human destiny will unfold the ultimate outcome. Always has been the case, always will be the case.

So please feel free to revel in your own false righteousness. I insist on it.
I didn't "come at you" AS -- I came at the ridiculous propensity of FAR FAR too many people in the Atlanta forums to blame everything that's wrong with the city on the state of Georgia. I am from Atlanta, have lived out of state, and now live in Savannah, and know as well as anybody how completely ridiculous it is to indict the whole state of Georgia for something that, at the heart, is 100 percent a local issue. Living in Savannah, I have seen first-hand how any community in this state can rise above the "backward, redneck, bubba mentality" that so many people like to label the South with and become a true beacon for enlightenment, progress and culture. Savannah recently was named one of the 10 top cities to visit IN THE WORLD -- so obviously, there's so statewide "plot" to discredit and disparage Atlanta or any other corner of Georgia. It is what you make it. And the ultimate responsibility for Atlanta's expressways not being lit at night falls solely on ... THE CITY OF ATLANTA!

The fact that I obviously hit a sore spot with you proves that I'm right. Suck it up and move on. And see what's outside the Perimeter why don't you? Georgia is a great state that doesn't deserve your crap.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,817,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I would say that it is Georgia that chooses to have a backwards and dangerous infrastructure.

Atlanta is merely the victim of this traditional gouging of its till for the sake of the rest of the state.
i have to disagree there— the DOT does an excellent job of building roads, they are very high quality and last for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta