Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,475 times

Advertisements

hI i WILL be in Atlanta for the weekend and staying at the Hyatt Regency on 265 Peachtree St NE, Are there any cool dive bars or pubs near the hotel to throw down some beers? We are mid 30's into punk indie hip hop old school hip hop rockabilly etc..... Any help would be greatly appreciated. The bar doesnt have to have live music, I prefer it didnt. Just cool people cool atmosphere. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
I think the name.of it is Meegah's one block away on Peachtree St

Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
I'll be honest (and some people might jump on me for saying this), but if downtown has a cool local bar scene, I've yet to find it. Many places will be full of tourists (no offense, you seem cool), sports fans, and expense account people.

If you want a more memorable, local, and low-to-the-ground experience, head to Little Five Points, which is Atlanta's traditional counterculture enclave. Go to Five Points MARTA station and take the Green or Blue Line three stops to the east (Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station), and Little Five is a pleasant, fifteen-minute walk from there. I'd recommend The Porter Beer Bar, which is thought to be one of the best in the city and regularly cracks lists of top beer bars in the country. There's also Corner Tavern (more of a dive bar feel) and Wrecking Bar, a brewpub, nearby. (Note: these are all 100% microbrew focused...fans of light beer should beware.)

It's a little bit more effort, but way better than drinking with Raiders fans at some place downtown.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
^^Meehan's Irish Pub. (oops, that was in response to Tony)

Sidebar is nearby. It's sort of a sports bar. There's also Gibney's Pub at Peachtree Center.

And don't forget Trader Vic's at the Hilton.

There isn't really a dive bar in downtown.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

If you want a more memorable, local, and low-to-the-ground experience, head to Little Five Points, which is Atlanta's traditional counterculture enclave. Go to Five Points MARTA station and take the Green or Blue Line three stops to the east (Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station), and Little Five is a pleasant, fifteen-minute walk from there. I'd recommend The Porter Beer Bar, which is thought to be one of the best in the city and regularly cracks lists of top beer bars in the country. There's also Corner Tavern (more of a dive bar feel) and Wrecking Bar, a brewpub, nearby. (Note: these are all 100% microbrew focused...fans of light beer should beware.)

It's a little bit more effort, but way better than drinking with Raiders fans at some place downtown.
Little Five Points is a good suggestion. Just make sure you know that Five Points and Little Five Points are NOT the same place. If you're go to Little Five Points, El Myr is about as divey and punk as it gets. If you want Rockabilly, go to the Star Bar. Really, those are the only two bars in Little Five that are anything like dives. Euclid Avenue Yacht Club, too, I guess. Wrecking Bar is sort of a yuppie place. Probably not your scene.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,475 times
How much would a cab be to little five points? Is there enough bars there to bar hop? I'm from NYC so I know what it's like to enter the wrong bar. I just don't want to end up in thug club or redneck rodeo lol.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM

112 posts, read 171,457 times
Tonight you want to go to Elliott Street Pub in Castleberry Hill. Total dive bar, and they are having an iron pour tonight in conjunction with the Art Stroll - tons of people. Side Bar, previously mentioned, is closer to the Hyatt and full of locals only.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydiggity225 View Post
How much would a cab be to little five points? Is there enough bars there to bar hop? I'm from NYC so I know what it's like to enter the wrong bar. I just don't want to end up in thug club or redneck rodeo lol.
$10-$15, depending on how many people and whether it's night. It's only a couple miles.

Yes, you can bar hop in Little 5.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,456 times
You might try East Atlanta Village. It's nothing like NYC but has a number of bars to crawl.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
You want the Midway Pub or the Earl in East Atlanta.

And then the Clermont Lounge.

Look those places up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: