Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I don't think this is much of a concern. UGA's part time business school is what, the 4th best in the metro area? Terry is what, a distant 3rd best business program in the state? I don't think they are a threat to anyone given their steady decline in the rankings.
They are here and have been here for a while. They are attracting students and the UGA name, regardless of the rankings, is a pull. UGA probably won't affect GT as much as GSU and KSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Tech's average freshman SAT scores might drop. Last year it was reported as 1378 but the BOR report puts it as more like 1350. The BOR now has two figures, a SER SAT score and an IPEDS SAT score. I have no idea what the difference is.

Research and Policy Analysis - Research and Policy Analysis - University System of Georgia

This AJC story gives GT's SAT as 1395

Georgia

It's prelimininary. UGA has 1273 and GSU 1107. Funny how after UGA and GT, there is a big drop off in SAT scores among the rest of the schools.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It's prelimininary. UGA has 1273 and GSU 1107. Funny how after UGA and GT, there is a big drop off in SAT scores among the rest of the schools.
They'll continue to go up though. They (KSU and GSU) have gone up a bunch in recent years. It isn't anything but a good thing IMO, but the state should recognize the brands that they have in UGA and GT and make sure to safeguard them some. Expanding engineering offerings at other schools sounds great, but is a weird thing to do at the 2nd best state school when the 1st best could easily handle the capacity. I would've leveraged the GT brand name rather than starting from scratch and trying to establish UGA as an engineering destination as well.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM

UGA wants to be more of a comprehensive university and they want in on that engineering research money.

GT is not much different. They broadened their academics so as to appeal to more of the less engineering and scientific oriented students. They also did it to retain students that later decided that science and engineering are not for them. US News values retention in their rankings.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
GSU has gone up significantly indeed. Below 1000 in 1990 to above 1100 now. Next step is for GSU to get ranked nationally. Them getting a football team in the FBS is a decent step at making it less of a commuter school, too.

http://www.gsu.edu/images/institutio...vgSATandFI.pdf

HOPE is like a perpetual motion machine. Cheap instate tuition > high quality students choose to stay instate > universities get more competitive > even higher quality students stay instate etc. These days going out of state from Georgia seems like a big luxury.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
They'll continue to go up though.
Eventually, there'll be an asymptotic effect and level off. It might creep up some more somewhat artificially if kids continue to do more and more prep for the test (i.e. learn how to take the SAT) The BOR and the Georgia Legislature will pressure GT to continue to accept Georgians in meaningful numbers so that might suppress the average.

Quote:
They (KSU and GSU) have gone up a bunch in recent years.
Creeping up at best.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
GSU has gone up significantly indeed. Below 1000 in 1990 to above 1100 now.
Actually, it probably hasn't changed. The SAT was recentered in 1995 so to compare you'd have to add about 100 points to pre-1995 scores. So even the GT kids aren't smarter now than they were way back when. Although from your link, it looks as if the blip increase didn't happen till around 1997-1998.

Quote:
Next step is for GSU to get ranked nationally.
They are probably close to breaking into US News' top 200 which would earn them a #rank. Trouble is, they'd have to improve more than their peers above them.

Quote:
Them getting a football team in the FBS is a decent step at making it less of a commuter school, too.
I think that only requires a good coach. Atlanta should be a good draw versus going to a cow-town school. GSU just needs to build an urban campus of some sort. I'm hoping that it can takeover Underground as that might give it more of a "campus". I'd like to see it merge with SPSU to keep up with UGA and Georgia Southern at least in the area of engineering.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Actually, it probably hasn't changed. The SAT was recentered in 1995 so to compare you'd have to add about 100 points to pre-1995 scores. So even the GT kids aren't smarter now than they were way back when. Although from your link, it looks as if the blip increase didn't happen till around 1997-1998.
According to the link, all scores shown on the chart are re-centered. The gains are real.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
According to the link, all scores shown on the chart are re-centered. The gains are real.
On the GSU chart you posted, the scores are re-centered and the gains are real. The student makeup of GSU has changed a lot over the last 20 years.

However, Mathman is totally right about the re-centering of scores in general that happened after 1994.

There may have been "some" gains--especially with UGA, etc., but nothing like 100-200 points.

In 1994, the non-recentered average SAT score for Georgia Tech was 1233. I think UGA's was somewhere between 1050-1080.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Sorry, missed that note. I guess GSU's SATs were helped as the BOR wouldn't allow the research schools to offer remedial courses. And I think that has extended to the state universities as well.

Now they are trying to push those needing a lot of remedial help to the technical schools. Our high schools are failing us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta