Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:46 PM

88 posts, read 726,211 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at a couple of condos lately in midtown ( spire, 805 peachtree, 860 peachtree ect..)and im getting tired of seeing condos that look like apartments or have been converted from apartments. Ive also looked into lofts but all the 2 bedrooms have that open slit at the top.. i dont want to hear my roommate doing their business . What would yall recommend
BTW i tried searching but i keep getting an error when i do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
I believe Plaza Midtown has full walls, not that 3/4 wall stuff.

Actually, I thought even the crummy Novare properties did full walls on the 2 bedroom units.

Higher end places like Aqua and Luxe are also going to have full walls.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucemoney View Post
i dont want to hear my roommate doing their business . What would yall recommend
A detached single family dwelling.
Apt life isn't for everyone. Even with full walls (full walls?) you will hear them doing their business above and below you.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
A detached single family dwelling.
Apt life isn't for everyone. Even with full walls (full walls?) you will hear them doing their business above and below you.
That's not necessarily true. Many houses, especially in warmer climates have thin walls and you can hear everything that happens anywhere in the house. This is true in the house I am renting, which was built in 1950. Same with when I rented in a home in San Francisco, and my sister's home in Australia is similar.

On the other hand, I looked at a rental in that building where Condesa Coffee is located, and it seemed like it was built with 1 foot thick concrete. Very unlikely you'd hear your neighbors. However, I do think it had those weird gapped dividing walls. The apartments I rented in Manhattan, I could only hear outside noise, never anything to the side or below me. Once in a while if someone dropped something upstairs, I could hear that. Similarly, my friends own a luxury condo in a new high rise in Brooklyn and it's like a sonic isolation chamber in there.

It's a factor of the construction of the building rather than the type of the building.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
That's not necessarily true. Many houses, especially in warmer climates have thin walls and you can hear everything that happens anywhere in the house. This is true in the house I am renting, which was built in 1950. Same with when I rented in a home in San Francisco, and my sister's home in Australia is similar.

On the other hand, I looked at a rental in that building where Condesa Coffee is located, and it seemed like it was built with 1 foot thick concrete. Very unlikely you'd hear your neighbors. However, I do think it had those weird gapped dividing walls. The apartments I rented in Manhattan, I could only hear outside noise, never anything to the side or below me. Once in a while if someone dropped something upstairs, I could hear that. Similarly, my friends own a luxury condo in a new high rise in Brooklyn and it's like a sonic isolation chamber in there.

It's a factor of the construction of the building rather than the type of the building.
I lived in a high rise for many years. The sound never came from the walls. It came from the ceiling most of the time. I recall laying in bed and hearing male urination (standing up) in the toilet upstairs and one room over, shoes and furniture moving across the floor above. God helpya if you got a smoker nearby.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Quote:
Ive been looking at a couple of condos lately in midtown ( spire, 805 peachtree, 860 peachtree ect..)and im getting tired of seeing condos that look like apartments or have been converted from apartments. Ive also looked into lofts but all the 2 bedrooms have that open slit at the top.. i dont want to hear my roommate doing their business . What would yall recommend
It depends on your price range and what amenities you are looking for. Most of the Novare properties look too much alike to me and have the three-quarter walls and soft loft look.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. I actually live in Viewpoint and had them customize my floor plan so it has full walls in my 2/1. (And coincidentally I just bought a new place and will be listing my condo in a few weeks, so your search is over! )

Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,126 times
^What 2/1 floorplan are you in? I only know of 2/2's in Viewpoint along w/ the 1/1 | 1/1.5 + study floorplans. The study units are usually ~1,000sf max and the 2nd "bedroom" some people claim is usually too small to be an actual bedroom along w/ not having doors and having the sloped 3/4 wall at most.

Most of the full size 2bdrs in Viewpoint (and most of those in Spire) had roommate floorplans w/ the bedrooms split on opposite sides of the unit. These are generally the ones on the corners of the building where they have access to that much light. From my past experience most of those tend to run close to 300k or more depending on upgrades/etc.

The cheapest 2/2 roommate floorplan I saw was a foreclosure in Spire at 240k in '09 but they had ripped out the closets to make the bedrooms bigger(the bedroom smelled like old shoes), tiled half the floor w/ a jagged edge of the original wood, and tore out a shower wall so it had 2 curtains and the bedroom had a view straight to the toilet for some unknown reason. Needless to say, I didn't make an offer.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM

oh I misread the OP.
It said roomate, not neighbor.

Please disregard my original comment and every comment thereafter. I don't even know what a 3/4 wall is! They didn't have those when I lived in a condo.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
^What 2/1 floorplan are you in? I only know of 2/2's in Viewpoint along w/ the 1/1 | 1/1.5 + study floorplans. The study units are usually ~1,000sf max and the 2nd "bedroom" some people claim is usually too small to be an actual bedroom along w/ not having doors and having the sloped 3/4 wall at most.

Most of the full size 2bdrs in Viewpoint (and most of those in Spire) had roommate floorplans w/ the bedrooms split on opposite sides of the unit. These are generally the ones on the corners of the building where they have access to that much light. From my past experience most of those tend to run close to 300k or more depending on upgrades/etc.

The cheapest 2/2 roommate floorplan I saw was a foreclosure in Spire at 240k in '09 but they had ripped out the closets to make the bedrooms bigger(the bedroom smelled like old shoes), tiled half the floor w/ a jagged edge of the original wood, and tore out a shower wall so it had 2 curtains and the bedroom had a view straight to the toilet for some unknown reason. Needless to say, I didn't make an offer.
My floor plan is one of the "one bedroom plus a den" floor plans. In the "10" stack if you know the building. I just had them complete the walls so the master was separate from the living room (The "den" / second bedroom already had full walls). The second bedroom is smaller,~10'X10' but I have had a roommate the entire time I have been here and lived in that room for over a year myself with a queen sized bed, night stand, and a desk in the room. The building agent actually really liked what was done and came and took pictures, so it is possible it was done in some of the other units too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta