Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:38 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,795,001 times

Advertisements

I saw a promo for a new TBS original series called "The Wedding Band" and it occurred to me that, other than the Tyler Perry stuff, very little (none?) of TBS' or TNT's original programming is shot in Atlanta -- though they've got that huge studio facility in midtown and would qualify for the Georgia tax benefits.

Anybody know or have a theory as to why? Or am I missing something? I know that the other Turner entertainment channels do a fair amount of original work here (especially Cartoon Network / Adult Swim). But it seems odd that the hometown network wouldn't base more productions in the city.

BTW -- I saw note on Rodney Ho's TV/Radio blog at AJC.com that 75-80 people are being cut at The Weather Channel, which has 700 employees in ATL. NOT GOOD! But BET is now shooting all of its scripted series in ATL at EUE Screen Gems, so that's good. New sound stages are under construction at Lakewood to meet demand. And Lifetime movie "The Anna Nicole Story" started shooting in ATL this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,030,094 times
Most (all?) of the original programming currently on TNT isn't produced by TNT. They just run it.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,975,542 times
That's right.

That huge facility in midtown contains a lot of offices and though I think some original Cartoon Network stuff may be done there and some live shows (mainly sports coverage, I think), I don't believe it contains the massive sound stages and equipment that would be used to produce the programming you are referring to.

Most of it is produced by outside production companies and TBS and TNT purchase the rights to run it.

If TBS could ever convince Conan to move to Atlanta and shoot here, that would be a major grab for the city, but I don't think that idea is even under discussion. I'm actually kind of surprised Conan didn't move back to NY because I'm sure TBS would allow him to work wherever he wanted to and I always got the idea that he never really wanted to move to LA and only did to get the Tonight Show. He's such an east coast guy.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

If TBS could ever convince Conan to move to Atlanta and shoot here, that would be a major grab for the city, but I don't think that idea is even under discussion. I'm actually kind of surprised Conan didn't move back to NY because I'm sure TBS would allow him to work wherever he wanted to and I always got the idea that he never really wanted to move to LA and only did to get the Tonight Show. He's such an east coast guy.
I imagine the reason he did that was to make it easier to get stars on the show.

But I wish Conan filmed here. I went to go see two of his live tapings in NYC, they were fantastic.
Downside to taping in Atlanta, most interviews would be from stars in zombie related films / movies.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Good points all. However, the short-lived "Mo'nique" late-night chat show on BET was filmed at TBS so they certainly have the facilities to do Conan. And I've heard of other shows and movies renting out their studio space. BTW -- I fully expect BET to up and move their entire operation to Atlanta eventually.

It was also a disappointment that Steve Harvey's daytime show wasn't based here, but seeing as how it's pretty awful and will probably be canceled that's no big deal.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 PM

937 posts, read 1,792,315 times
As far as studio space, I believe all of BET's orginal series, Lets Stay Together, Reed Between the Lines, The Game, and several new series are shot at an Atlanta sound stage. I read somewhere that after the monique show ended BET tore down her set and built the set for Reed Between the Lines.As to answer the question regarding TV shows at TBS they have the space I would image if Monique can pull it off there.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,697,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Good points all. However, the short-lived "Mo'nique" late-night chat show on BET was filmed at TBS so they certainly have the facilities to do Conan. And I've heard of other shows and movies renting out their studio space. BTW -- I fully expect BET to up and move their entire operation to Atlanta eventually.

It was also a disappointment that Steve Harvey's daytime show wasn't based here, but seeing as how it's pretty awful and will probably be canceled that's no big deal.
They make alot of their cartoons and late-night low-budget adult comedy programming.

A large amount of their programming is actually syndicated and I'm willing to bet they are shopping around for competitive prices. They don't quite have the clout the major networks and their parent have.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM

52 posts, read 102,859 times
My sources say -- 1) it's hard to attract recognizable talent to Atlanta. As much as people here like to think Atlanta is the greatest city ever, it does not have the same "Hollywood" pull as Los Angeles or New York. Yes, there are temporary things like movies and such, but that doesn't require a significant long-term investment in talent.

2) Actually, TNT/TBS is gaining in their own original programming. But even with their own shows, you fall into the trap of #1 above. Sure, you could get a bunch of no-name actors, but securing decent people and making them relocate here is almost impossible.

3) In reference to #2, TNT/TBS, etc. falls underneath the Time Warner umbrella. Time Warner also owns Warner Bros. and HBO thus making it easier to leverage their production infrastructure already in place in Los Angeles/NY.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,697,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin1229 View Post
My sources say -- 1) it's hard to attract recognizable talent to Atlanta. As much as people here like to think Atlanta is the greatest city ever, it does not have the same "Hollywood" pull as Los Angeles or New York. Yes, there are temporary things like movies and such, but that doesn't require a significant long-term investment in talent.

2) Actually, TNT/TBS is gaining in their own original programming. But even with their own shows, you fall into the trap of #1 above. Sure, you could get a bunch of no-name actors, but securing decent people and making them relocate here is almost impossible.

3) In reference to #2, TNT/TBS, etc. falls underneath the Time Warner umbrella. Time Warner also owns Warner Bros. and HBO thus making it easier to leverage their production infrastructure already in place in Los Angeles/NY.
I agree we are nowhere near the level of NYC and Hollywood, especially for this industry, but I'd say we are attracting attention from companies building permanent infrastructure that we didn't have before. They seem to be attracting talent and often tout that there is already some here to start with. So while, I do think being Hollywood or NYC in this industry is a distant plan/dream, I'd say we've started doing pretty well for ourselves in this regard.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM

All the actors I know would live ANYWHERE if it meant getting a TV series ... Living in Atlanta (or Peachtree City even) doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for the cast of "The Walking Dead."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta