Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:22 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times

Advertisements

Below is an article related to a discussion about Buckhead potentially becoming a county.

Leader of civic group calls for County of Buckhead

"Buckhead Council of Neighborhoods Chairman Jim King is floating the idea of splitting Buckhead off into its own county. He said he wants to "put it out there, let it be vetted."

VIDEO: Leader of civic group calls for County of Buckhead | Reporter Newspapers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
No way. Buckhead would have to unincorporate from Atlanta and Fulton County. Then somehow get the law rewritten for the maximum number of counties in GA.
Atlanta has put too much money into Buckhead to let it split off.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
This state has too many counties. I think some should pool resources and consolidate, rather than break off.
In regards to Atlanta and Fulton county, I think it would help if some elected officals would remember that they are there to serve everyone, not just thier friends.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
ROTFLMAO!

The state Constitution strictly forbids the creation of any more counties. You'd think the people who propose this stuff would do their homework before making themselves look stupid.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta has put too much money into Buckhead to let it split off.
I think the way Bucckhead views it, they put too much money into the city of Atlanta and therefore they want to split off. I believe it is the same mentality shared by the northern suburbs that want to break away from Fulton County.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I think the way Bucckhead views it, they put too much money into the city of Atlanta and therefore they want to split off. I believe it is the same mentality shared by the northern suburbs that want to break away from Fulton County.
I don't think the folks in Buckhead mind continuing to support the city financially. They've been doing that for a long time and are pretty acclimated to it.

Nor are they interested in un-incorporating from the city of Atlanta.

They are just tired of getting poked in the eye by the city government when it comes to things like schools, police, zoning, streets, playgrounds and other quality of life issues.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,838 times
Crazy how North Fulton and South Fulton are so night and day.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
At least the North Fulton area has some justification in that Milton County did exist at one time before it became part of Fulton.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think the folks in Buckhead mind continuing to support the city financially. They've been doing that for a long time and are pretty acclimated to it.

They are just tired of getting poked in the eye by the city government when it comes to things like schools, police, zoning, streets, playgrounds and other quality of life issues.
Here's a typical example:

Buckhead gets 4 of the 112 surveillance cameras aimed at curbing crime throughout the city. Despite the fact that Buckhead resident Charlie Loudermilk contributed $1 million to fund the citywide monitoring station.

As I say, the folks up there don't mind carrying the lion's share of the load. They'd just like to get a little something back every now and then, especially when it comes to things like schools, parks, policing, transportation, etc.

Buckhead again gets poked in the eye by city on $2.5 million surveillance cameras purchase

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I live in Buckhead and this is my view. When people say Buckhead has so much less crime and more patrols it is because in most neighborhoods you pay for additional security that is why the city police patrol the main roads more. I believe it was almost 600 we paid this year for Thorpe and 350ish for the off duty APD(we join both because Thorpe cannot make arrests but, APD patrols less). So there is a lot of subsidizing Atlanta services being done in Buckhead. And if you really want to talk about supporting the city look at APS tax collection and enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta