Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 AM

33 posts, read 28,082 times

Advertisements

Still being new to the ATL area, we are trying to find neighborhoods in our price range... here is what we're looking for:

1. West side probably. My husband works either around Fulton Industrial Blvd. or Chattahoochee Ave. while I commute up to Oglethorpe. Neither of us want to drive a whole lot (like, 1/2 hour in traffic is the ABSOLUTE most) and we definitely want to be ITP (currently in Smyrna/Vinings and hate it).

2. Rental budget of probably $1000 max. We need a house/duplex/anything with a fenced yard, as we have dogs.

3. In a perfect world, we would want to be in Virginia-Highlands, Inman Park, or something along those lines.... old houses, walkable, shady, safe, etc etc.... all the reasons those houses run half a million or more.

4. As far as safety, I want to be able to go running without fear of being mugged/raped, and we want to be able to leave our dogs in the backyard without worrying about them.

So where are the areas we could find something like this? We don't need a huge house, and probably prefer an old one. I found one house in Grove Park that looks lovely, what is that area like? Where are your favorites on this side of town?

As a side question, why does it seem like everyone in the Va-Hi, L5P, Candler Park, etc areas are so young and fun, just starting out like us, and yet these houses are so expensive?? Is this an illusion or are we just really poor compared to everyone else in their early 20's??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
It's just an illusion, most of the big homes in those neighborhoods are owned by old people. The younger people are renting with roommates or live in apartments. Or, you might think the people you see are 20 something but they are really pushing 40.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
I'll throw this out there, but it'll probably be shot down pretty quickly due to my lack of knowing exactly where the husband works-- East Point.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPHopeful View Post
As a side question, why does it seem like everyone in the Va-Hi, L5P, Candler Park, etc areas are so young and fun, just starting out like us, and yet these houses are so expensive?? Is this an illusion or are we just really poor compared to everyone else in their early 20's??
As pointed out, a lot of these people are renters. Also you have to keep in mind that most of the people you see hanging out in L5P, Va-Hi and Candler Park don't live there. A lot of people come from the 'burbs or other parts of town to hang out there.

I used to live in Va-Hi and would talk to the people who live in those big, expensive houses and they weren't young, 20 somethings--usually 40's to 50's plus professionals (doctors, dentists, lawyers, Emory professors, etc.), business owners or C-level execs. Also a lot of those people are from old money whose families owned those homes for year.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I'll throw this out there, but it'll probably be shot down pretty quickly due to my lack of knowing exactly where the husband works-- East Point.
Parts of East Point, the northernmost parts, might work, but I'm worried about the crime there? Maybe it's not as bad as it might seem, but the parts I've been to are...rough around the edges. Is that a misperception? Like I said, we are new to the area so I am still unfamiliar.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Parts of East Point, the northernmost parts, might work, but I'm worried about the crime there? Maybe it's not as bad as it might seem, but the parts I've been to are...rough around the edges. Is that a misperception? Like I said, we are new to the area so I am still unfamiliar.
Why don't you just rent an apartment in L5P, Candler Park or Va-Hi? There are plenty of places to walk your dog. You may not be able to just let the dog out and will actually have to walk it but the neighborhood is walkable, it seems like it's the place you want to be, and there's Freedom Park and other parks in the area to take the dog.

There has to be a trade-off somewhere.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Quote:
Everyone has different tolerance levels - I've actually never set foot in East Point. I did read on here though that gays are moving there, and they would not be unless they felt safe. Perhaps search the forum and ask around.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM

15 posts, read 21,635 times
Try Underwood Hills! We rent a 3/2 for $1475, but I've seen smaller duplexes in your price range. Extremely convenient, feels very safe.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It's just an illusion, most of the big homes in those neighborhoods are owned by old people. The younger people are renting with roommates or live in apartments. Or, you might think the people you see are 20 something but they are really pushing 40.
Many students, both undergrad and grad, live in Innman park, Virginia highlands. For the most part, they keep to themselves. It's not the young and reckless you should be concerned about OP.

I would not want to live in east point.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
It's not the young and reckless you should be concerned about OP.
I'm not concerned about them at all, I'd like to think I'm one of them! I just don't see how Va-Hi could fit our budget. Even an apartment seems out of our range unless it's 600 sq ft which will not work for us and two dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta