Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,828 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 28 year old single young professional female, and will be relocating to Atlanta for work. I will be working in Decatur (well really its located more in between North Druid Hills and North Decatur, not too far from Emory University).

I am looking for an apartment in a location where there will be lots of other young professionals (20's and 30's), and in a fun neighborhood where bars, restaurants, etc. would be within walking distance.

I would like to be in an area where the traffic doesnt make my commute to work horrible, but would be willing to add on a few minutes to my drive to sacrifice for a good location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
City of Decatur or Midtown would definitely work, but you haven't mentioned a price range.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks! As far as price I would like to stay around 1000-1300 a month, but I can be a little flexible...

Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoATL10 View Post
Thanks! As far as price I would like to stay around 1000-1300 a month, but I can be a little flexible...
You should be able to afford either Decatur or Midtown in that price range. Both should have nice complexes. If you want more of an in-town walkable neighborhood feel you can look at Virginia-Highland. If you need to cut back on budget some check out Old 4th Ward and East Atlanta Village.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 30,038 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am a 28 year old single young professional female, and will be relocating to Atlanta for work. I will be working in Decatur (well really its located more in between North Druid Hills and North Decatur, not too far from Emory University).

I am looking for an apartment in a location where there will be lots of other young professionals (20's and 30's), and in a fun neighborhood where bars, restaurants, etc. would be within walking distance.

I would like to be in an area where the traffic doesnt make my commute to work horrible, but would be willing to add on a few minutes to my drive to sacrifice for a good location.
Decatur is a well known lesbian area, so you should love it. I assume you knew that though.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
ummm anyways,,,I'd take advice from the serious posters here...

Decatur is a great area. It has a nice little town center with MARTA access to the airport and town. It is actually the oldest city in the area, not Atlanta.

If you want something further away from a town center and a bit more quieter there are tons of apartments in the area along some of the streets south of 85 and north of Decatur. There will be pockets of bad traffic, but your commute will be so short it will be fine. I'd recommend staying north of Decatur until you move here and get to know the area better. Decatur is a great place to start, even if you discover you like another part of town next year.

If you need more options and price points... Midtown, The Virginia Highlands around Ponce and further north is a nice area.

Lindbergh is a decent area with some new apartments, but I don't think it would offer you as much as being further East. It is more of a developing urban town center that is half way there, but good for taking MARTA into a job in midtown/downtown.

For $1000-13000 you should be able to find a nice new 1 bedroom and perhaps a 2 bedroom in an older or slightly less desirable location. If the rents are far cheaper in that area... you should consider it with caution.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Haha whatttt??? Seriously? No I had no idea, I've only been to Atlanta a couple of times. Alright so what is a good area for straight single women to live in lol.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM

11 posts, read 30,038 times
Quote:
Haha whatttt??? Seriously? No I had no idea, I've only been to Atlanta a couple of times. Alright so what is a good area for straight single women to live in lol.
Roswell, Viings is nice, Sandy Springs area, Dunwoody, Va Highlands.

Seriously though Decatur is a huge lesbian area, it's nickname is "Dikeatur", as you know Atlanta has a huge gay population, midtown has a lot of gays as well, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Yes, if you are not gay, Decatur is not for you. People will look at you funny when you patronize bars and restaurants in the area. Avoid at all costs if straight.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM

thanks for the info cwkimbro.

What do you guys think of Buckhead, it seems like a nice area with a lot going on. What would the commute be like in the mornings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta