Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Uh David, I never said I agree with the suit, I do live in Dunwoody after all. My point is it should've been litigated long ago. And where did I say anything about a racist enclave! Stop reading stuff I not only didn't say, but didn't even think. These cities are going to form their own school systems one way or another. Leaving their kids in Dekalb makes no sense. And this is when the big issues of resegregation will come up. IMO it's unstoppable, but unfortunately a ounty that is already broke is going to spend millions trying to stop it.
I didn't mean to imply that you thought Decatur was a racist enclave. My point is that Rev. Lowery and the others in the suit are making their case that Brookhaven is trying to infringe on the rights of minorities, yet they have never raised a finger in regards to the City of Decatur simply because they are a liberal voting community.

You are right that millions will be spent to stop it and in the end DeKalb won't have a case simply because of the existing municipalities in DeKalb. Also, it is pretty likely that many of the new cities - Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, etc. will form their own separate school systems. The citizens are concerned about quality education more than they are pleasing Rev. Lowery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Also, it is pretty likely that many of the new cities - Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, etc. will form their own separate school systems. The citizens are concerned about quality education more than they are pleasing Rev. Lowery.
My guess is that school quality is the single biggest driver of the new city movement. Other factors play a role, too, but schools are the rubber meets the road. Too many folks have seen the decline of schools in Fulton and DeKalb and they don't like it.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think the issue is that if whites start doing this in black controlled areas they are diluting the strength of overall black political power and siphoning off money for themselves.
Who says blacks can't be in the communities? No one is stopping blacks from moving to Dunwoody or Brookhaven.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Who says blacks can't be in the communities? No one is stopping blacks from moving to Dunwoody or Brookhaven.
Technically they can, but what about the economic barriers?

As I understand the argument it is that the people in these communities should remain subject to county control, instead of setting up their own little cities and siphoning off their money for personal use. Those funds should be flowing into DeKalb County coffers so that it can be spent as the county government deems best.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
Taxation without (real) representation...

Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Technically they can, but what about the economic barriers?

As I understand the argument it is that the people in these communities should remain subject to county control, instead of setting up their own little cities and siphoning off their money for personal use. Those funds should be flowing into DeKalb County coffers so that it can be spent as the county government deems best.
The blacks don't have any more economic barriers then the whites who live there. Heck, blacks live in those cities.

Why can't those cities spend thier tax the way they see fit. It's their money right?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Given the facts about the other DeKalb municipalities I have given, it is amazing that this case has gotten this far. It sounds like Lowrey (and others) are angry and want to get back at the citizens of Brookhaven. Lawsuits like this further the image that in Metro Atlanta, everything eventually gets back to issues of race.
That works both ways. Why do you think all of the white people keep running further out? Why else do you think whites in this state are so opposed to metro ATL public transportation? They're creating these 'cities' to cantonize pockets of white populations to avoid being governed by surrounding majority black population. Any white person posting on here who pretends otherwise is lying to him/herself. Just go to any rural community in this state, walk up to a native white Georgian over the age of 65 (folks raised to think more honestly about their race by a generation who at least owned up to their views), and ask them what they think of the Mayor of Atlanta.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Great post by the way.

It seems that after all of this time, we human beings still haven't truly learned how to co-exist with each other. The seeds of division that have been planted so firmly in fertile ground long ago have now fully blossomed into the ugliest of weeds. And no matter how much pesticide is used to destroy them, these weeds just keep coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiatransplant1 View Post
That works both ways. Why do you think all of the white people keep running further out? Why else do you think whites in this state are so opposed to metro ATL public transportation? They're creating these 'cities' to cantonize pockets of white populations to avoid being governed by surrounding majority black population. Any white person posting on here who pretends otherwise is lying to him/herself. Just go to any rural community in this state, walk up to a native white Georgian over the age of 65 (folks raised to think more honestly about their race by a generation who at least owned up to their views), and ask them what they think of the Mayor of Atlanta.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Of course I realize the Texas counties are much larger and thus lies the problems for Georgia. The Apples and Oranges here is the status Georgia has given to counties. Too many, too powerful. Their design is based off of 19th century needs, not 21st. I heard growing up that the reason Georgia has so many small counties is the county seat needed to be within a wagon's ride away from any citizen.

Do you realize Georgia has more counties than any state other than Texas at a quarter the size of Texas' land area? These too many-too small-too powerful counties are the reason metro Atlanta has so many competing interests.

This small, powerful countiy system worked for a rural agrarian past, is out of step in this day and age.
I agree with this but it is what is. Also Georgia has tiny cities this was my other point. Texas major cities are similar sizes to Georgia counties. Atlanta and Atlanta's suburbs need to annex more not create dozens and dozens and dozens of new tiny suburbs.

When I was younger before I payed attention to city limit size. I was living in a suburb of DFW call Mansfield TX now it didn't feel anything close to the size of Smyrna GA, Norcross GA, or Decatur, GA. I remember once I was searching up the population to my surprise everything in Georgia.. all the suburbs had way smaller population. When in real life these cities feel a hold bigger the Mansfield.

It was because Mansfield TX is 36.5 sq mi,

Decatur GA is 4.2 sq mi
Smyrna 16 sq mi
Norcross is 4.1 sq mi
Dunwoody 13.7 sq mi
Doraville GA 3.6 sq mi

And Mansfield is small DFW suburb by area
Plano TX 71.6 sq mi
Irving TX 67.7 sq mi
Denton TX 89.316 sq mi
McKinney TX 62.9 sq mi

Sandy Springs is among the largest Atlanta suburbs with 39.0 sq mi.
Arlington TX among DFW largest suburbs and it's 99.7 sq mi.

Atlanta is 132.4 sq mi
Fort Worth is 298.9 sq mi
Dallas is 385.8 sq mi

Brookhaven is only 7.8 sq mi, If you think the county system is odd creating a bunch of tiny suburbs don't help it's more balkanization. Because TX cities are the sizes of GA counties think of it like if Texas cities are slitting up into smaller suburbs. If this was Texas Dunwoody, Doraville, Brookhaven and everything between would be one large suburb. Alpharetta, Johns creek and Milton would be one large suburb. If not Atlanta then Sandy Springs would had been a part of Roswell I'm just saying.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Why can't those cities spend thier tax the way they see fit. It's their money right?
I'm not sure it works that way in a democracy. Generally the majority rules.

The people in these new cities are free not to work and thereby reduce the amount of taxes they pay. However, if they do work they're required to pay in, even if others don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta