Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Then why are you refuting my claim that more then half don't drive to work? You are proving exactly what I've been saying all along...

54% is over half the residents which I've been saying all a long.

This means their city is more transit-oriented then auto-oriented...If it were auto-oriented, the city would not be nearly as walkable as it is now. Every borough is walkable except Staten Island.

In Atlanta, the only place that are walkable are the Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead cores and some isolated spots like L5P, etc, etc.

And when people discuss New York City, most refer to the 5 boroughs unlike Atlanta, which most people include the whole metro area...

Face it. I'm right, you're wrong. You even bring facts that only support what I've been saying all along. You're arguing with me just for the sake of arguing with me so you can prove that I'm wrong.

Atlanta as a city itself can become transit-oriented and very walkable if it wants to be and gets the funding for it...It's possible...don't let anyone tell you otherwise...it just needs to development to support it.
You must have skipped the part where I stated that I wasn't just talking about the city limits, but about the entire metro area of NYC. That is nowhere near half of the population without a car...you really need to understand the discussion before you come back with a childish retort like "I'm right, you're wrong." You just lost all credibility here...not that you had any prior to this.

You just obviously know very little about Atlanta, and you constantly display that lack of knowledge. I'm not sure what you're beef is with this city, but why do you stay? If you want NYC, then go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It is really insane to try to compare Atlanta with New York.

First NYC is a Megapolis with 21 million residents, Atlanta is at 5 million. NYC is much older, have a ocean and is established, Atlanta is a fairly new city that will mature into its own identity, with the beltline being a good start.
I wonder why so many naysayers stoop to such a comparison? It's not as if anyone who loves Atlanta has fantasies that it is comparable to NYC. We aren't all untraveled hicks like some people tend to think.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
having lived in northwest georgia i always wondered (and wished) why there wasnt a train or bus service going from chattanooga to atlanta. I myself hardly ever drove into atlanta because of the traffic, speeding people and confusing roads. It would have been nice though to be able to hop on a train to goto a game or show in atlanta.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
having lived in northwest georgia i always wondered (and wished) why there wasnt a train or bus service going from chattanooga to atlanta. I myself hardly ever drove into atlanta because of the traffic, speeding people and confusing roads. It would have been nice though to be able to hop on a train to goto a game or show in atlanta.
Greyhound goes from Chattanooga to Atlanta. A bit ironic though there is no Amtrak Chattanooga Choo Choo.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You must have skipped the part where I stated that I wasn't just talking about the city limits, but about the entire metro area of NYC. That is nowhere near half of the population without a car...you really need to understand the discussion before you come back with a childish retort like "I'm right, you're wrong." You just lost all credibility here...not that you had any prior to this.

You just obviously know very little about Atlanta, and you constantly display that lack of knowledge. I'm not sure what you're beef is with this city, but why do you stay? If you want NYC, then go!
Quote:
I wonder why so many naysayers stoop to such a comparison? It's not as if anyone who loves Atlanta has fantasies that it is comparable to NYC. We aren't all untraveled hicks like some people tend to think.
And when I refer to NYC, I am talking about city limits, but since you want to go there, NYC area is not only served by subway, but also served by many commuter rail systems. What does Atlanta have as far as commuter rail? Zero. It gives their residents choice. Here, if someone chooses to live OTP which is undoubtly cheaper then ITP, you have no choice but to drive. I don't care about credility. Everyone OUTSIDE these Atlanta forums would agree with me, not you. You're just another Atlanta booster who boost this city to levels it won't ascend to for a very long time.

It's insane...when most people talk about NYC, they refer to the CITY LIMITS....8.2M live in the city limits...8.2M...that's almost half of what the NYC metro area has...meanwhile 400k live in atlanta, while 5.2M live in the metro area...that's LESS then 10%. The Atl city limits is much more significant then the Atlanta city limits to it's metro area.

You keep bringing up these silly arguments that have zero to do with the reason that NYC is not auto-centric. The fact you keep saying this to me...it's like...why? Almost everyone knows that NYC is not auto-centric. You're almost avoiding the obvious and stating things that has nothing to do with the subject.

And you keep saying "And you know nothing about Atlanta" and I keep bringing up "mis-information". Honestly, you're the prime example of an Atlanta booster and I'm tired of sitting here arguing with people like you because quite frankly, you will NEVER understand.

As I said before, the current state of the Atlanta metro area is not fine, and I worry for it's future as 3-4M more people are set to move here in the next 30 years or so....whether it chooses to densify or continue to expand it's metro limit is up for another discussion. It's time for change in Atlanta. It cannot sustain this way much longer. This means proper infrastructure and transit needed to better support the population.

I'll say this...watch what happens if Atlanta does not build proper public transit in the next 30 years without new transit. You think the traffic and gridlocks are bad now? This will be nothing compared to what we are going to see. If the leaders of this state and city truly care about the future of this growing metropolis, they will do the things necessary to support the growing population of the city of Atlanta and the metropolitan area of Atlanta.

Last edited by Ant131531; 10-27-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Quote for truth.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
I don't really see a boom in population for the current boundaries of the City of Atlanta anytime soon, but who knows? I guess some demographers can sort that out. Metro-wide, maybe a decent increase in a decade or 2, but that is a big "maybe." I think the metro area may keep gobbling up a few exurban areas, which skews some numbers in metro-wide populations. Or if the City of Atlanta starts annexing more areas to add to itself, that could increase the population numbers for the city specifically.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
I tired of hearing about NY no Atlanta posters wants Atlanta to be NY. We want Atlanta to grow denser in some areas with infill we don't want Atlanta to be paved out like NYC we like trees. And why is Atlanta a 160 years old 5 million sunbelt city being compare to NY a 300 + year old 19 million east coast city. Saying The NY metro area is auto-centric isn't comparing Atlanta to NY I don't even understand the logic how can one conclude that. It's simply pointing out most people in the NY area even with the super transit system most ride cars you can't get mad and start bashing Atlanta.

Atlanta needs to improve transit how ever we don't need a New York size transit system, NY is 19 million. The ARC does have plans to improve transit, create more TOD urban areas to combat sprawl. Rome wasn't built in a day it's going to take time to retrofit some things. Other than that most people in Atlanta like Atlanta, if don't like most things about a place then why you in that city.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I tired of hearing about NY no Atlanta posters wants Atlanta to be NY. We want Atlanta to grow denser in some areas with infill we don't want Atlanta to be paved out like NYC we like trees. And why is Atlanta a 160 years old 5 million sunbelt city being compare to NY a 300 + year old 19 million east coast city. Saying The NY metro area is auto-centric isn't comparing Atlanta to NY I don't even understand the logic how can one conclude that. It's simply pointing out most people in the NY area even with the super transit system most ride cars you can't get mad and start bashing Atlanta.

Atlanta needs to improve transit how ever we don't need a New York size transit system, NY is 19 million. The ARC does have plans to improve transit, create more TOD urban areas to combat sprawl. Rome wasn't built in a day it's going to take time to retrofit some things. Other than that most people in Atlanta like Atlanta, if don't like most things about a place then why you in that city.
Thank you! Of course Atlanta is not like NYC, but there are plenty of excellent things about our town.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Thank you! Of course Atlanta is not like NYC, but there are plenty of excellent things about our town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta