Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,957 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Atlanta from CT next summer. I've been doing a lot of reading about schools (I know there's a ton of info here) and I'm very interested in Morningside Elementary and Inman Middle School (and then Grady I think?) for my 2nd and 7th grade children. My husband is very worried about public schools in GA but we have always sent our kids to public schools in CT and had excellent results. I'm exploring all options but I'd like to know how parents from this particular district feel their school is as compared to other schools in Atlanta. I've read a lot of great things but am totally new to this board and this area so I'd appreciate any personal feedback from parents with kids at either school. We can afford private if need be but would prefer to stay in the public school system if it is good. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenissouth View Post
My husband is very worried about public schools in GA but we have always sent our kids to public schools in CT and had excellent results.

Get ready for a rude awakening. Don't get me wrong, Morningside elementary is a great school by Atlanta standards, one of the best. Just brace yourself.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,957 times
Yes, this is what we are worried about. But how would you compare this particular school to a school up North? What's the biggest difference? I really sense strong community and parent involvement but don't want that to eclipse the educational standards.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
jenissouth - My daughter attended Morningside 1st - 4th. We really liked it tremendously. Like up North, you can have both excellent and terrible schools. Morningside, however, is in the later category. The principal is devoted and involved, parents are involved and very active. We always liked the teachers. I have many friends who have sent their children on through Inman and then Grady. Inman is a good middle school. Grady has some challenges (but with thousands of kids, what school wouldn't?), but it also has a very good (and award winning) honors program.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:23 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
The only issue I have heard in regards to Morningside is that it is overcrowded. I have also heard that Grady has challenges, just today a friend of mine who lives in that district said she didn't send her son there because things she saw made her feel it wasn't worth the hype and she sent her son to a private high school instead.

In regards to the differences from up north, I'm not familiar with CT schools but I know they have a good reputation. As someone from the midwest, I can say that the standards here, and this is JMHO for those who may get offended, are not all that great. They introduced common core in APS this year so hopefully this will change, but just from what my younger family members were studying in OH versus here, I know they did more in school than they do here and they had more outlets in regards to extracurriculars as I feel those, and their quality is just as important as classroom work. One of my little cousins lives in Gwinnet County which is touted as being a great place for education, but even he did not have work that I would consider to be challenging or on grade level compared to my own education or that of my nephews and cousins in Ohio who are still school aged. Due to that, I have always done a lot of homeschooling for my kids myself so that when we move back up north they wouldn't be too far behind.

FWIW, the friend who I was speaking to about Morningside and Grady, loved Inman. Her son completed middle school there before going to a private high school. She also said it was overcrowded but that the staff/faculty there and the quality of education exceeded her expectations, and like me, she has high expectations in regards to the education of her child.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:03 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
jenissouth - My daughter attended Morningside 1st - 4th. We really liked it tremendously. Like up North, you can have both excellent and terrible schools. Morningside, however, is in the later category. The principal is devoted and involved, parents are involved and very active. We always liked the teachers. I have many friends who have sent their children on through Inman and then Grady. Inman is a good middle school. Grady has some challenges (but with thousands of kids, what school wouldn't?), but it also has a very good (and award winning) honors program.
Trust this.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times
Quote:
Like up North, you can have both excellent and terrible schools. Morningside, however, is in the later category.
Based on the rest of your post, I'm assuming you mean "the former category".

Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Based on the rest of your post, I'm assuming you mean "the former category".
Correctomundo. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 AM

Not that this has anything to do with Morningside Elementary, but there are two very disturbing articles in the AJC online about two very recent events at Pace Academy and Westminster. Hopefully isolated incidents, but it goes to show that elite private schools are not necessarily the panacea many think them to be. Sorry, but I don't have the patience to post the link using this iPad.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
Quote:
Not that this has anything to do with Morningside Elementary, but there are two very disturbing articles in the AJC online about two very recent events at Pace Academy and Westminster. Hopefully isolated incidents, but it goes to show that elite private schools are not necessarily the panacea many think them to be. Sorry, but I don't have the patience to post the link using this iPad.
You mean these recent incidents Pace and Paideia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: