U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM

64 posts, read 99,936 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am new to the area and in search of a used car. Can anyone share some experience of the good local dealerships? I found some good pricing at Georgia Best Motors. How is the dealership? Many thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM

10,646 posts, read 11,407,270 times
Honestly, I'd check out Car Max.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM

2,118 posts, read 5,985,218 times
They're all pretty bad.

IME, most of them make their money gouging people with bad credit.
They're not interested in making any deals.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM

262 posts, read 589,240 times
I bought my last car from a totally random place in Lawrenceville. It had the car I wanted at the price I wanted.

I did several things to ensure a safe purchase. First, I checked the BBB. Wouldn't do business with any lot that has a bad rating or complaints.

Second, I hired a mechanic to check out the car. Paid about $75 it was worth it.

Third, I financed through my credit union.

I bought a Toyota with 90,000 miles and have put another 70k on it since then, so I think I made a good decision.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM

2,118 posts, read 5,985,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
I bought my last car from a totally random place in Lawrenceville. It had the car I wanted at the price I wanted.

I did several things to ensure a safe purchase. First, I checked the BBB. Wouldn't do business with any lot that has a bad rating or complaints.

Second, I hired a mechanic to check out the car. Paid about $75 it was worth it.

I bought a Toyota with 90,000 miles and have put another 70k on it since then, so I think I made a good decision.
Excellent tips. Especially the bit about buying a toyota.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,823,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Honestly, I'd check out Car Max.
Car Max is pretty hit or miss. My cousin bought a '07 Impala from them and it was a complete lemon. I have literally never seen a car that had that many random problems. I bought an Impala myself about a year later from Hennessey Buick GMC for a cheaper price that what she paid and I got a better trim model and it still drives like a top to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post

That's the smart way to do it. It takes me a year or so to get a new car, because I just wait to find the deal I want. I've been looking for a Challenger RT under $15,500 for the last year. Seen a few but some had too many miles or were not the color I wanted. But I know sooner or later one will come along. If it takes another year so, so be it, I can wait. It should work out because Im selling my car over trading it in and it will probably take about 6 months to sell at least.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM

64 posts, read 99,936 times
Thanks guys, for the great tips. So anyone had experience with Georgia Best Motors before?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 11,581,076 times
I guess some people have good experience with independent used car dealers or they wouldn't still be in business, but if I was in the market for one would stick with Car Max or buy a certified used car from the used car lot of a dealership that sells that make. Meaning if I wanted a good Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, I would go buy a certified used Accord from a Honda dealership or a certified used Camry from a Toyota dealership.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM

192 posts, read 358,636 times
I bought my 2009 Altima 2 1/2 years ago from Enterprise. It had 30K miles on it at the time, and has been an awesome car.

No experience with the dealer you're asking about. I recently moved from the Atlanta area (Marietta) to Columbus, GA with my job.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

738 posts, read 1,271,029 times
I had great results with CarMax, and I love that there's no BS haggling - you either pay the price or you don't. I bought my Acura there almost 2 years ago and have had no problems with it at all.

As for Georgia Best Motors, read the reviews - some good, some bad: Georgia Best Motors reviews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>