Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
No idea about that, but there are arrangements like this with many agencies not just the police all over the city, so it's not a real surprise.

One of those Woodward kids get hurt and WSBTV, FOX5, 11Alive and the other networks will kick up a fuss. Solidly middle & upperclass reporters identify with solidly middle & upperclass parents so the reporting will be intense.

Because of that aforementioned factor, middle & upperclass parents(especially white ones) can count on having the juice to bully these sort of arrangements out of agencies like MARTA Police, especially if they have a couple of like minded supporters on the MARTA board and on MARTOC.

This is the south, where feudalism politics rule the day. Money & class are upheld above all else. Don't count on this situation changing anytime soon.
Of course it is some racial conspiracy! You do realize Woodward is about 40% non-white? Are poor parents bullying when they demand better schools?

We have a son there and you pay for a pass through the school to use MARTA(it cost more than the standard MARTA Breeze Card). We don't regularly use it, but it is less expensive than the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Wouldn't 200 kids storming the train at the same time every day be reason enough for an extra cop to be in the station? There is a crossing guard in the morning and afternoon at the school by my house, too...
The Marta police are not just at the station, but actually board and ride the train to monitor the kids.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
The Marta police are not just at the station, but actually board and ride the train to monitor the kids.
It is possible that these are off duty MARTA police hired by the school, certainly paid for by the parents. Generally speaking, when an organization hires off duty police for a task, they wear their uniforms. On Sunday mornings when large churches have police directing traffic, they are always in uniform and often have their car with them, but they are off duty and paid for by the church at least in DeKalb.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Well neither is correct so neither. I don't know the details. I'd assume woodward has some sort of agreement with MARTA. You know, a business contract?

It was a joke. Woodward parents pay enough extra to get on the local news station once in a while.

No need to get mad at those students or parents. You get what you pay for always.
I never said I was mad at either. I certainly have no dog inthe fight, and expressly said I had no beef with it. I'm familiar with people hiring off duty officers for such things, which is why I asked.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Maybe there have been problems with behavior on past rides home and the police want to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

I've never ridden the 4PM train from the airport with Woodward students because I don't ever get off work that early, but I have ridden many morning trains to the airport (~7:30) that are stuffed with Woodward students, as well as trains back from the airport later in the evening (~6:30) that have lots of students. I have never witnessed a police officer looking after the Woodward kids particularly. I see cops on those trains no more often than on normal trains.

The station attendants, who regularly hang out by the gates and on the platforms during peak hours to make sure there are no problems, definitely have their hands full with Woodward kids. The kids have a habit of hanging out near the ledge, or approaching the ledge when trains are nearing, so the station attendants are always yelling at them saying to keep away from the tracks.

I think paying extra attention to the well-being of more vulnerable riders (even if they are mainly more vulnerable because they might not fully comprehend what would happen to them if they fell off the platform) is sound policy. It prevents tragedies and keeps the system usable for a variety of people, and not just single guys who are more able to defend themselves. Sort of like how spending millions on elevators for disables people is sound policy (and required by law), even though such people make up only a small percentage of users. Same situation.

If Woodward foots the bill for police patrols (which is a common arrangement), all the better.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Good post, Testa. I don't know why some folks make this an economic class / racial issue. It's nothing more than looking after a large group of vulnerable riders. Besides, those kids bring needed revenue to the system. That benefits everyone.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Okay that makes sense thanks Acidsnake, boy if Marta could provide security like that for the whole system, that would be awesome. You rarely see Marta police monitor the trains like they should be.
MARTA police are on the system, they will be on trains, at stations, and especially watching parking lots since there is a problem with break ins. The kids ride the trains in the mornings without personal protection and nothing ever happens to the kids at Five Points while transferring.
Quote:
Maybe there have been problems with behavior on past rides home and the police want to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

I've never ridden the 4PM train from the airport with Woodward students because I don't ever get off work that early, but I have ridden many morning trains to the airport (~7:30) that are stuffed with Woodward students, as well as trains back from the airport later in the evening (~6:30) that have lots of students. I have never witnessed a police officer looking after the Woodward kids particularly. I see cops on those trains no more often than on normal trains.

The station attendants, who regularly hang out by the gates and on the platforms during peak hours to make sure there are no problems, definitely have their hands full with Woodward kids. The kids have a habit of hanging out near the ledge, or approaching the ledge when trains are nearing, so the station attendants are always yelling at them saying to keep away from the tracks.

I think paying extra attention to the well-being of more vulnerable riders (even if they are mainly more vulnerable because they might not fully comprehend what would happen to them if they fell off the platform) is sound policy. It prevents tragedies and keeps the system usable for a variety of people, and not just single guys who are more able to defend themselves. Sort of like how spending millions on elevators for disables people is sound policy (and required by law), even though such people make up only a small percentage of users. Same situation.

If Woodward foots the bill for police patrols (which is a common arrangement), all the better.
Great post! As long as Woodward pays the bill, who cares?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM

668 posts, read 994,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Why not hired their own private security rather than using Marta Police which Dekalb and Fulton County taxpayers pay for. Does Marta contract out there Police officers ?
Is it fair that the Dekalb and Fulton County taxpayers also have to foot the bill for extra police (Marta to otherwise) to handle crowds of non-Dekalb and Fulton fans who attend Hawks, Falcons and Braves games?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Is it fair that the Dekalb and Fulton County taxpayers also have to foot the bill for extra police (Marta to otherwise) to handle crowds of non-Dekalb and Fulton fans who attend Hawks, Falcons and Braves games?
Those fans pay the fare to ride MARTA.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Those fans pay the fare to ride MARTA.
They also pay sales tax on everything they buy while at the games so MARTA gets the standard 1% of that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta