Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times

Advertisements

Nope. Even if they did Woodward is paying them to be there. Just like any off duty assignment .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
But when a racially diverse school decides to collect funds to pay for extra protection for their students out of their own pockets, it's racism. Didn't you know?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
In my experience, the riders who behave badly on MARTA are often people who leave sports venues drunk and no fun to ride with. Otherwise, riding on MARTA is no big deal during day or early evening.
I witnessed this Saturday after the Decatur Win Festival. A group of middle-aged, middle income adults where yelling and just being disorderly while at the Decatur Station, I mean 1 guy hoisted a girl up on a light fixture to see is she could do a pull up. I would rather ride with people that know how to act on MARTA and come from less than perfect situations, than ride with obnoxious middle aged, middle income people that act a fool on MARTA.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
While traveling on the train from the airport around 4:00 pm. At College Park Station around 200 or so Woodward Academy Kids stormed the trained. I notice that Woodward Academy gets personal security by Marta Police on each school day. Does anyone have personal insight on why is this is happening.
Some kids are just more important than others, its apart of life, what's the thread for?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Maybe there have been problems with behavior on past rides home and the police want to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

I've never ridden the 4PM train from the airport with Woodward students because I don't ever get off work that early, but I have ridden many morning trains to the airport (~7:30) that are stuffed with Woodward students, as well as trains back from the airport later in the evening (~6:30) that have lots of students. I have never witnessed a police officer looking after the Woodward kids particularly. I see cops on those trains no more often than on normal trains.

The station attendants, who regularly hang out by the gates and on the platforms during peak hours to make sure there are no problems, definitely have their hands full with Woodward kids. The kids have a habit of hanging out near the ledge, or approaching the ledge when trains are nearing, so the station attendants are always yelling at them saying to keep away from the tracks.

I think paying extra attention to the well-being of more vulnerable riders (even if they are mainly more vulnerable because they might not fully comprehend what would happen to them if they fell off the platform) is sound policy. It prevents tragedies and keeps the system usable for a variety of people, and not just single guys who are more able to defend themselves. Sort of like how spending millions on elevators for disables people is sound policy (and required by law), even though such people make up only a small percentage of users. Same situation.

If Woodward foots the bill for police patrols (which is a common arrangement), all the better.
I must admit, I have actually seen this at College Park station, more than once, those kids to love the edge of the platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta