Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times

Advertisements

We are planning a last minute little day trip to Atlanta for Tuesday, November 6,2012. We have a 12 year old daughter and a 14 year old son. This is VERY last minute, with the kids out of school that day, for the elections. We currently live in Windsor, SC. That is about 50 minutes outside of Augusta,GA. Living on a very tight budget, we try to do little small visits places. We are hoping to find a couple activities that will not BORE the kids to death. I am hoping that there may be some useful suggestions for cheap, if not free things to do with the kids. This is an odd day and time of the year to do the trip, we know that much. But, trying to think positive and find something to make it worthwhile for the kids....any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Remember, these are 2 young teens...in the mindset of Facebook, twitter, cell phones, music, they also love to read and eat..LOL...I just need 1 thing or so to try to put a smile on their faces....checked out Aquarium tickets. The $30 a person was not in our little budget. Let us know if there is anything useful....Hoping to find something though...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Other then exploring different areas and districts, there just isn't much you can do here without putting out the dollas.

I guess Stone Mountain, but honestly, I just don't know....maybe other people here can give out better suggestions.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
You might want to check out City Pass Atlanta .Though a bit higher in price for the package deal than the Georgia Aquarium tickets - you get into 5 venues (CNN Center, The Georgia Aquarium, The World of Coke, The Atlanta History Center) . The adult tickets are around $65.00 and the children's tickets are 1/2 of that .You get way more bang for your buck doing this . They also feature deals on other places .

Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Cheap, and/or free does not exist in Atlanta. Not a particularly kid friendly place. It's difficult for my pre teen, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for a teenager. I can't imagine a couple of teens being entertained with the Aquarium and World of Coke. My 8yo loves World of Coke, but I think it's because we don't normally drink coke! I wouldn't fork out nearly $200 to go to any of that only to have the teens whine about how bored they are. What are your kid's interests? I think they might enjoy the Fernbank museum more if they're science oriented and the Aquarium, but only if you can score discounts of some sort. And for the love of God, don't eat lunch there, it is a total rip off.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Stone Mountain could be a possibility. If you're pinching pennies park in downtown Stone Mountain (free) and take the 1/2 mile walk to the base of the trail, then hike to the top. However, it looks like the weather is going to be pretty awful tomorrow (high of 50 with rain), so that might not work.

Most of our good cheap stuff to do is outside, I'm afraid. The CNN tour is on the cheaper side in comparison with other attractions in downtown ($15/person), and might interest them.

If one or both of them is into more alternative stuff, strolling down Euclid Ave in Little Five Points is something they'll probably never forget (well, they'll probably never forget it regardless).

They'd probably enjoy eating somewhere like Flip Burger. Extremely trendy and chic, but also approachable and not too expensive.

For situations like this it would be nice if Underground Atlanta weren't generally terrible. But alas, it is.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
If your kids like skateboarding, take them to the Old Fourth Ward Skatepark.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
World of Coke is around $15/person.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
If the weather cooperates, I'd recommend a trip to one of the many parks in North Georgia. Amicalola Falls State Park is a nice day trip.

In the rain, one of the less expensive options is the Atlanta History Center. It's about $13.00/pp and you can spend hours among the Civil War and Olympic displays. There is a replica farm attached to the site, and even a Chick-fil-a snack bar on the lower level. Parking is free. Google for discount coupons.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Obviously, Atlanta is not a tourist destination.

As far as finding things for a teenager to do; um, teenagers typically don't rely on mom and dad to find fun, nor do they typically WANT to hang around their parents that much unless its a big familiy trip and even then they normally wouldnt need you to find things for them to do.Teenagers would rather be with their friends/peers and find fun that way with whatever they are into.

I see this a lot if this forum. People trying to find things for teens to do.

Maybe I'm just young and not in the parenting mode so I don't understand. When I was a teen I typically asked to do things and with friends or alone,not wait for my parents.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
For about 5 bucks a person you can ride to the top (70th floor) of the Westin Hotel in glass elevators outside the building and look at the whole city from binoculars in the revolving restaurant up there. Better check to see if open that day and what the Views' The View Hours & Pricing schedule will be.

Hanging around in CNN Center is free but you will have to pay for a tour of the studios.

As for the Stone Mountain Hike. You can actually park inside the park at visitor parking for I think 5 bucks and it's a whole lot closer to the Mountain than Downtown Stone Mountain as suggested above. Then you can hike to the top for a breath taking view. I think you can ride to the top and back on the Skylift for $9 a piece or $5.50 a piece to ride up and hike back down.

If you've never rode before it might be fun to ride the MARTA train from either CNN Center (Ga Dome Station) or the Westin Hotel (Peachtree Station has a very interesting escalator) up to Lenox Mall for some window shopping. It's a very upscale but interesting mall so window shopping is about all you're going to do there for cheap. Marta tickets will run you $2.50 apiece for one way or you can ride all over the place all day for a $10 unlimited pass.

Window shopping at Atlantic Station is also a fun idea. Plus in addition to shops they have all kinds of restaurants, coffee shops, Movie theater and some times different festivals. You can drive there and Park free for 2 hours or you can take the train to Arts Center Station and catch a short free shuttle to it from there.

For just plain sight seeing of the city skyline nothing beats a ride up Peachtree Street (not West Peachtree, Peachtree Industrial, or one of those other Peachtrees but the original Peachtree) from Downtown on to Buckhead Atleast that's free. (except for gas that is)

Just a few suggestions for someone looking for entertainment on little cash. It can be done. Coming from a once struggling and bored college student in the city.

Hope the rain doesn't dampen your fun. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta