Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,898,263 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in this week's addition of Creative Loafing.

Secession!: Georgia's top politicians don't see eye-to-eye with inside-the-Perimeter Atlantans and don't seem to much care about it, either. Maybe it's time for us to turn the tables. Maybe it's time to declare our independence.: Cover Story: Cover:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,264,404 times
So, if the City of Atlanta is so dependent on funding from the state to cure all of it's woes, how would secession help? Where would the money to fund all of the transportation reforms, hospital bailouts, etc., come from? Maybe Atlanta could just jack up property taxes to cover them? The city would quickly find itself back to where it was in the 70's- a welfare state.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,425,883 times
I think he means the entire metro area.

thats over half the states population.

and it makes sense to me. city-states these days are far more important than states.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,207,977 times
Since I live SLIGHTLY outside of the perimeter, I would not support a secession that only includes ITP. It should include all of Dekalb, imo. I think, in terms of dollars (not counting federal money that is given to the state), the state needs Atlanta more than Atlanta needs the state. If I had to make a choice, I would live in the State of Atlanta and would not even consider living in an Atlanta-less Georgia.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM

348 posts, read 1,018,464 times
Maybe they should just pick it up and move it north

Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,296,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Since I live SLIGHTLY outside of the perimeter, I would not support a secession that only includes ITP. It should include all of Dekalb, imo. I think, in terms of dollars (not counting federal money that is given to the state), the state needs Atlanta more than Atlanta needs the state. If I had to make a choice, I would live in the State of Atlanta and would not even consider living in an Atlanta-less Georgia.
I concur. The City of Atlanta, all of DeKalb County, South Fulton, and the Tri-Cities should secede from the State of Georgia. There are too many windbag politicians in the statehouse that like to villify Atlanta without acknowledging who really butters their bread.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,264,404 times
So, regardless of the actual boundaries of this newly-established city-state, I'm still completely baffled as to how anyone thinks it's going to help. Other than a neat-o new name, what woes that currently exist is this going to solve?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,898,263 times
Default Metro Atlanta not City of Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So, if the City of Atlanta is so dependent on funding from the state to cure all of it's woes, how would secession help? Where would the money to fund all of the transportation reforms, hospital bailouts, etc., come from? Maybe Atlanta could just jack up property taxes to cover them? The city would quickly find itself back to where it was in the 70's- a welfare state.
I stated should the "entire metro area of Atlanta" split not just the City of Atlanta. Which would include the five core counties; Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton we would have 3.3 million people, bigger than 21 states. With the addition of the remaining counties on the Atlanta Regional Commission, we would have a nicely compact state of 3.9 million residents that would rank No. 25 in US population.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 10-11-2007 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: addition

2,138 posts, read 6,296,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So, regardless of the actual boundaries of this newly-established city-state, I'm still completely baffled as to how anyone thinks it's going to help. Other than a neat-o new name, what woes that currently exist is this going to solve?
Our tax dollars would stay here, we could choose how to spend those tax dollars, we could choose our own transportation policy, we could work on legislation that is progressive rather than regressive, etc.

1,576 posts, read 6,326,159 times
If you drive around in parts of north (including Clayton) and south Georgia (including Emanuel county), you will periodically see massive road improvement projects being done in towns with populations of a couple thousand. These projects are funded with millions and millions of dollars in state money, the large majority of which is gathered from the 5.1 million metro Atlantans who pay high income, property, and sales taxes. Yet, when Atlanta proposes transportation solutions, such as light rail or enhancing Marta, that are necessary to relieve the daily gridlock that Atlanta commuters face, the state legislators too often tell Atlanta to pound sand. It is a travesty. I'm not saying transportation projects shouldn't be funded in small town Georgia, but the state definitely needs to do more for its biggest tax base and economic engine.

Of course, it is ridiculous to carve out a plan to secede for ITP folks and not include OTP folks. LIke it or not, metro Atlanta includes 12+ counties and we are all in this together with respect to the transportation issues Atlanta faces. Places like Alpharetta, Suwanne, and Peachtree City are not immune to the consequences of poor transportation planning and funding in the City of Atlanta. The livability of these outer suburbs diminishes as the city as a whole faces increased traffic and commute times year after year. The legislature need to recognize that Atlanta money has supported the state of Georgia for a long time and it is now time for Georgia money to support the City of Atlanta. Atlanta is an economic and financial beacon for the state and the state should want to maintain its luster in the decades to come. A transportation plan is critical to sustain Atlanta's projected long term growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta