Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM

17 posts, read 45,137 times

Advertisements

My mom has always loved the homes in Buckhead, but there are also a lot of homes she loves in Druid Hills. She likes how in Buckhead she could also go the luxury condo/townhome route. If you could buy in either location what one would you chose and why? Also would a Buckhead house or Druid Hills house hold its value better? My mom has been looking at houses in both areas bec. she may possibly be relocating to Atlanta she really likes the sidewalks in Druid Hills, but she likes how in Buckhead you are so close to all the shopping and restaurants. And not to offend anybody would Buckhead be more conservative than Druid Hills, I do not want to start a political war lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
There was some discussion about this on a previous thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...uid-hills.html

Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,128 times
I prefer Druid Hills myself, but both are wonderful areas. "Buckhead" has become a rather amorphous term. The Buckhead Village area is, of course, very congested and the business district is in a state of flux with the stalled development of the Streets of Buckhead. The more residential areas around Buckhead Village are lovely but it's definitely a car culture there. There are few sidewalks and lots of traffic.

Personally, I consider Druid Hills the best neighborhood in the city. You've got gorgeous homes on huge lots and it's super convenient to shopping & restaurants in Virginia-Highland, Midtown and Downtown Decatur.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
"Buckhead" has become a rather amorphous term.
Very good point made by Intown; it seems that 'Buckhead' has inflated over the time that I have lived here to include areas that I never would have considered part of it ie Lenox Road, Cheshire Bridge corridor and even LaVista Park (in DeKalb County, for Pete's sake!).
IMO Druid Hills really just consists of the mansion district (hemmed in by N Decatur, Briarcliff, Fairview, Ponce de Leon and Clifton Roads) and then some more modest (but still charming) neighborhoods to the north and to the east before you enter Decatur. There is no CBD (unless you want to count the very modest Emory Village).
Buckhead's CBD, on the other hand, is quite developed, dense and involves Peachtree Road almost in it's entirely from south to north. In terms of style, almost all of Buckhead seems to have a corresponding neighborhood somewhere in the city outside its' own boundaries:

Brookwood Hills = Ansley Park
Peachtree Park, Peachtree Heights, Garden Hills, Peachtree Hills = East Morningside, east Druid Hills, Decatur
Haynes Manor = West Morningside, Druid Hills, Lenox Park
Tuxedo Park = Brookhaven
West Buckhead/30327 = Sandy Springs

To me, however, the quintessence of 'Old Atlanta Money' would be Tuxedo Park...it's the type of neighborhood where the same family might live in the same home for generations, and would find peer neighborhoods in places like Lake Forest, IL, Hillsborough, CA, Greenwich or Darien, CT, Grosse Pointe, MI and the Main Line Suburbs of Philadelphia.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,885 times
This is an old thread, but that profile on Druid Hills was an interesting read.
That said, the rental buildings recommended at the end of the article are nowhere near Druid Hills. Especially Highland Walk.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJ2013 View Post
I agree with IntownHomes247. Druid Hills is the nicer option: it has just as many amenities and conveniences without the congestion. And in my opinion, the people are more kind, warmer, if that makes any sense.

The profile on Druid Hills will give you an idea of what to expect when living there. It's well-planned (hence less traffic), has more historic value than Buckhead, and it's nearer to other active fun neighborhoods with character. Buckhead is near Dunwoody and Alpharetta but those are OTP and I don't think they have much character.

God luck!

Just for the record, lumping Dunwoody and Alpharetta together is way unfair. Totally different communities.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJ2013 View Post
Buckhead is near Dunwoody and Alpharetta ...
Buckhead is about 8 miles from Dunwoody, but Alpharetta is more like 20 miles. I guess it depends on how you define "near."

I have lived in both parts of town and can't say I've noticed any difference in the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta