Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
You do understand this is about politics not feasibility, right? This wouldn't be the first "Bridge to Nowhere" nor would it be the last. It's essentially about what the administration is willing to spend to turn Georgia blue. Most of the metro is already Democratic. Again, you would presumably have a Republican governor, several Congressional delegations and three mayors asking for this. Is it worth $5 billion to turn Georgia blue? Dunno, it might be when you consider the jobs created. Even with low ridership, which I don't think is necessarily a given, it's bound to spur interest in other states. You know how competitive states can be. If Atlanta had HSR can Charlotte and Dallas be far behind? I'm syre the numbers make no sense, but in my experience, they don't have to. I'll be very surprised if a Democratic president isn't willing to spend money for a chance to break the "solid south" once and for all.
I'm hoping that is an explanation and not a justification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm hoping that is an explanation and not a justification.
Of course, I hate the way politics work, but hey, it is what it is. Looks like Mayor Reed has decided to play the hand he's been dealt. Politics and sausage...

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Of course, I hate the way politics work, but hey, it is what it is. Looks like Mayor Reed has decided to play the hand he's been dealt. Politics and sausage...
It is a unfortunate game. Used to be upsetting, but it is a reality. I have become quite skilled and not caring after a point... makes life so much more enjoyable.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Take the $5 billion and build a statewide intercity rail system and Atlanta commuter rail system!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Take the $5 billion and build a statewide intercity rail system and Atlanta commuter rail system!
Atlanta is already blue. Won't get a Republican governor and three congressional delegations excited. Not to mention two mayors in red regions. Not saying it's not posdible, just explaining that the mayor's idea might not be as crazy as it sounds.

Not to mention, what other cities besides Atlanta want a rail system? I actually see rail between Atlanta and Chattanooga taking flight before that. I get the distinct impression that Atlanta is not particularly popular with her sister cities. No rail is going to happen inside the metro for all the reasons previously stated. Savannah seems to be the only city signing our dance card.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If they put in HSR to Savannah I would take it and I can think of several others who would too. I believe it would be a popular line.
Aren't you concerned about the ticket price? There is a price point for this to work. If Amtrak won't cover the route, why should we believe there is sufficient demand for a much more expensive HSR?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Something like this would make Georgia more attractive to tourists.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
The riders would gladly pay the fares. In terms of construction, there needs to be federal, state, and local investment and a successful public/private partnership. It would create thousands of jobs, jumpstart local businesses, and increase tax revenues as well as property values. Many other metro areas can do it...why can't Atlanta?
Why should that all happen because of Commuter Rail? The MARTA rail lines go through some pretty dumpy areas.

If rail is all that many of you guys think it is, we'd have rail lines blanketing every metro area in the country and it wouldn't have to wait for Federal funding.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Aren't you concerned about the ticket price? There is a price point for this to work. If Amtrak won't cover the route, why should we believe there is sufficient demand for a much more expensive HSR?
Well, how much will it be? I'd go $350-450, since it costs that much to fly and at least $100 to drive.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, how much will it be? I'd go $350-450, since it costs that much to fly and at least $100 to drive.
I just found a Delta fair for $261.

Driving for me would be under $60.

Lets at least use realistic numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta