Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the typical/average commute time leaving Haynes Bridge (Alpharetta) at 7:00am to Lenox Squar
<30 Minutes 2 16.67%
30 Minutes to 45 Minutes 4 33.33%
45 Minutes to 1 Hour 5 41.67%
>1 Hour 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 88,709 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved here to Atlanta from the San Francisco Bay Area. We have a 5 year old son and our number one priority is getting him in top rated public school. We have narrowed our search for homes down to two areas. We will be commuting to the Lenox Square area of Buckhead every morning (to work by 8am). We know that it can be bad for either area on occasion. We are interested in keeping our commute to 45minutes 3 or 4 days per week. Here is what we are considering:

OPTION 1: Peyton Farms on Mid Broadwell Road in Alpharetta (Fulton).

- It is 1.5 miles W of the Alpharetta City Hall/Farmers Market.
- It is 3.5 miles N of old downtown Roswell.

Schools Include (All 10's on GreatSchools):

- Alpharetta Elementary
- Northwestern Middle School
- Milton High School

Commuting Routes:

Alternate A: Exit 9 Haynes Bridge
Alternate B: Exit 6 Northridge Road

OPTION 2: Wigley Preserve on Wigley Road Northeast in North Marietta (East Cobb).

Schools Include (All 10's on GreatSchools):
- Davis Elementary
- Mabry Middle School
- Lassiter High School

Commuting Routes:

Alternate A: 92 E to Holcomb Bribge
Alternate B: Johnson Ferry Road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020rob View Post
My wife and I recently moved here to Atlanta from the San Francisco Bay Area. We have a 5 year old son and our number one priority is getting him in top rated public school. We have narrowed our search for homes down to two areas. We will be commuting to the Lenox Square area of Buckhead every morning (to work by 8am). We know that it can be bad for either area on occasion. We are interested in keeping our commute to 45minutes 3 or 4 days per week. Here is what we are considering:
I'd consider living in Buckhead. Smith and Jackson are both top rated elementary schools, and you'd have a 5 or 10 minute commute.

Jackson Elementary School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA - School overview

Smith Elementary School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA - School overview

Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks Arjay...we are renting an apartment in Buckhead right now and our son attends Sarah Smith. We do love it....And do love our current 10 minute commute. That said, we are not as enthusiastic about our middle and high school options. We really do not not want to have to shell out 20K+ per year for middle and high school if we can avoid it. The two other factors in play right now are the current low interest rates and the desire to have our Son grow up in one home with the same peers from grade to grade through high school. We have discussed having him attend Sarah Smith through 5th and then moving. The problem with that is not knowing where interest rates would be at that time and of course he would have to transition to a new area and make new friends.

Last edited by 2020rob; 11-12-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Poll for Marietta commute time can be found here...

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...e-leaving.html

Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM

924 posts, read 1,447,982 times
My guess is commuting from the Alpharetta one would be better but neither would be a good commute. Normally I would say East Cobb, but the area you specifically picked is so far away from highways and so far north that the Alpharetta one wins out in this case. Generally if you were looking at a house in the Walton or Pope districts I would tell you to pick those.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Westau...thank you for your reply. Your comment is consistent with what some of our friends have said. Typically 35 to 40 from that location with a few additional alternate routes is what we are told. Our first choice was (and in some way still is) the Walton school district. Our hang up is that we would really like to buy new, want a fair amount of land (wife wants pool) and need to keep the price at $500K. Both the North Marietta and Alpharetta give us 400 sq ft, plus basement and 1/2 acre for $500K. Not as many new options in Walton and the price is closer to $600K plus.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM

472 posts, read 805,085 times
I'd say depending how you drive an hour would be the average time. It's quite a commute, but many people do it.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM

924 posts, read 1,447,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020rob View Post
Westau...thank you for your reply. Your comment is consistent with what some of our friends have said. Typically 35 to 40 from that location with a few additional alternate routes is what we are told. Our first choice was (and in some way still is) the Walton school district. Our hang up is that we would really like to buy new, want a fair amount of land (wife wants pool) and need to keep the price at $500K. Both the North Marietta and Alpharetta give us 400 sq ft, plus basement and 1/2 acre for $500K. Not as many new options in Walton and the price is closer to $600K plus.
You are right about the new homes. Most new homes built in the Walton district seem to be Mcmansions about 20 feet from each other and a lot closer to $1 million than $500k.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,962,159 times
You are exactly right. Love Sarah Smith, you may.....but you will not love Sutton and North Atlanta.

I haven't mapped out the options that you have put forth, but my rule would be simple: proximity to GA 400. It's the surface streets that are going to nail you, so the faster and easier time you have getting to and from 400, that's going to be key, I would think.

I would do just about anything to avoid Holcomb Bridge. The getting on and off 400 is much easier at Haynes Bridge, in my experience, and it is up where exits are much closer together, so even though it is exit 9 instead of exit 7, it's really only an extra 2 or 3 miles as opposed to exit 6, which seems like it's 4 or 5 miles away from exit 5.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,797,882 times
I think you will love Peyton Farms, not only for the great schools, but more "country" setting. You're not far from Crabapple- some cute shops, restaurants (Sips, Can, Grand Champion Bar-B-Que, Miltons, and Old Dog and the ice-cream place). Close also to the whole North Point mega-shopping street/mall.
A very family friendly area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta