Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times

Advertisements

Everyone, I was reading a thread on the forum that essentially asked the locale of a particular celebrity on Real Housewives of Atlanta. The thread quickly turned to whether or not the celebrity lives in the "ghetto" - and the comments implied a correlation between a minority community and the ghetto.

This was a little disturbing. Are our mindsets that narrow that we automatically assume that areas in which minority groups live are ghettos? Is this what we are teaching our children and presenting to future generations? If so, shame on us!

How can it be accepted for this term to be so prevalently used on this board as relates to minorities? Whether one is a member of a minority population or a member of a majority population, this practice should be disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I do feel that in general, many people in this country and I would bet a majority feels that if a neighborhood is majority black then it is "the ghetto."

I am black and that is just what I have seen. It used to bother me but it doesn't now and especially here in Atlanta metro area, I feel that being considered "the ghetto" just because it is a black neighborhood does have its advantages. One can find a nice house in a quiet place very inexpensively just because it is a black neighborhood. And since I am black and I like black people lol, I don't mind living next to them.

I will admit that it was weird for me living here so segregated when I was younger and it used to upset me that my kid couldn't go to an integrated school, but I have gotten a little bit used to it.

To many black equals "bad" and as such if there are large concentrations of us we will be considered "ghetto." IMO the people who think those things have issues, but they are not important to me in regards to where I live, who I associate with. It is disturbing to me as well, but I only challenge it on an individual basis and the whole black equals "bad" thing is just ridiculous to me and if people want to continue to think such things, then they can continue to be disturbing individuals. And FWIW, a lot of black people think that large concentrations of black people equal ghetto as well, it is not just a non-black thought/perception.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Sorry to tell you, but a ghetto, by definition, is where minorities live. It started out as a term to describe Jewish parts of town, but now can apply to any minority.

From Webtser: "a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure"

When most people talk about the "ghetto" what they really mean is "slum" which is definted as: "a densely populated usually urban area marked by crowding, dirty run-down housing, poverty, and social disorganization"

However, nowadays when people describe something as "ghetto" it is a term to describe something that contains undesireable qualities associated with people who are unedcuated, poor, and lack moral integrity. Of course, there can also be implied racial connoatations to the term which makes sense given the actual defintion of ghetto. Calling something "ghetto" is sort of an attempt to say "I associate this thing with poor, uneducated black people, but not all black people." The racial implications of that description could certainly be debated, but that's what most people mean.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,689 times
That is actually the dictionary definition of "ghetto", but I get that you are perceiving it in a pejorative way.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
People tend to throw "ghetto" around pretty casually these days. It's kind of rude if you think about it but it's probably not worth thinking about too much.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Everyone, I was reading a thread on the forum that essentially asked the locale of a particular celebrity on Real Housewives of Atlanta. The thread quickly turned to whether or not the celebrity lives in the "ghetto" - and the comments implied a correlation between a minority community and the ghetto.

This was a little disturbing. Are our mindsets that narrow that we automatically assume that areas in which minority groups live are ghettos? Is this what we are teaching our children and presenting to future generations? If so, shame on us!

How can it be accepted for this term to be so prevalently used on this board as relates to minorities? Whether one is a member of a minority population or a member of a majority population, this practice should be disturbing.
People who say these things, say them based on comfort. Comfort is different for everyone. When people are nervous or anxious they tend to use words like ghetto or hood to describe a certain setting. For example Lil 5 Points is not considered ghetto by many its considered bohemian/hipster, then you have districts like Midtown that must would not consider ghetto.
We live in. Time where many people see black people doing negative things & assume that all blacks are alike. Some elitest like to call these said people idiots, ignorant, out of touch etc etc. The truth is people feel what they feel. If someone feel uncomfortable & call the setting ghetto. If someone wants to call poor areas ghetto, let them.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I do feel that in general, many people in this country and I would bet a majority feels that if a neighborhood is majority black then it is "the ghetto."

I am black and that is just what I have seen. It used to bother me but it doesn't now and especially here in Atlanta metro area, I feel that being considered "the ghetto" just because it is a black neighborhood does have its advantages. One can find a nice house in a quiet place very inexpensively just because it is a black neighborhood. And since I am black and I like black people lol, I don't mind living next to them.

I will admit that it was weird for me living here so segregated when I was younger and it used to upset me that my kid couldn't go to an integrated school, but I have gotten a little bit used to it.

To many black equals "bad" and as such if there are large concentrations of us we will be considered "ghetto." IMO the people who think those things have issues, but they are not important to me in regards to where I live, who I associate with. It is disturbing to me as well, but I only challenge it on an individual basis and the whole black equals "bad" thing is just ridiculous to me and if people want to continue to think such things, then they can continue to be disturbing individuals. And FWIW, a lot of black people think that large concentrations of black people equal ghetto as well, it is not just a non-black thought/perception.
Like I said calling people names & acting like an elitest is also just as bad. I grew up in a really rough city, but I also grew up with a rough, abrasive dad. So many things don't effect me like that. Meaning I was never or rarely a victim of black peer pressure. Its hard living in areas where there is a surplus of low quality people no matter what race they are. The truth is ghettos do exist & IN AMERKKKA most ghetos are populated by blacks, mexicans & puerto ricans. Whites have their issues in trailer parks, but its not as reported like blacks are. I say if people are uncomfortable let them be. Its ok to not like whites, its ok to not like mexicans, its ok to not like homosexals AND YES ITS OK TO NOT LIKE BLACKS. Stop the kumbaya crap.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM

ATLTJL,

Yes, that is the dictionary definition of "ghetto." However, let's not get distracted with formalism, etc. This post is not about a dictionary definition - it is about the negative implication that has nothing to do with the actual definition of the term, and the implication that areas in which certain groups live MUST be ghettos (in the way that the term is actually used, not the dictionary, historical definition) - simply by virtue of there being a large group of a particular race living in an area. The nowadays part of your post. Why is that ok? I'm not understanding that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Sorry to tell you, but a ghetto, by definition, is where minorities live. It started out as a term to describe Jewish parts of town, but now can apply to any minority.

From Webtser: "a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure"

When most people talk about the "ghetto" what they really mean is "slum" which is definted as: "a densely populated usually urban area marked by crowding, dirty run-down housing, poverty, and social disorganization"

However, nowadays when people describe something as "ghetto" it is a term to describe something that contains undesireable qualities associated with people who are unedcuated, poor, and lack moral integrity. Of course, there can also be implied racial connoatations to the term which makes sense given the actual defintion of ghetto. Calling something "ghetto" is sort of an attempt to say "I associate this thing with poor, uneducated black people, but not all black people." The racial implications of that description could certainly be debated, but that's what most people mean.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Residing,

I see your point. But, I'm just thinking - about the neighborhood thing - the neighborhood is inexpensive because the property values have been de-valued. Is that ok to you that your property (and thus, part of your financial net worth) is de-valued simply because other people have these types of thoughts?

Quote:

Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying but it's hard to imagine anyone referring to very nice black areas like Lithonia or SW Atlanta as the ghetto.

I'm inclined to think the term (which I really dislike) has a lot to do with economic class, crime, school quality, etc. Or at least the perceptions of same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta