Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM

268 posts, read 945,596 times

Advertisements

If you aren't in line as soon as you finish your Thanksgiving Dinner then you can almost forget about getting what you go looking for with a lot of the stores opening at 8 P.M. on Thanksgiving night, which is so sad that they aren't letting their employees spend the holiday with their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,220,178 times
Sounds appropriate to me. Spend the day being thankful for what you have. Then immediately go out and buy a bunch of garbage for yourself and everyone you know. Mostly crap they don't even want or need, but that they're obligated to pretend to be thankful for.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,749,758 times
I would recommend the North Georgia Premium Outlet Mall

Premium Outlets – North Georgia Premium Outlets

Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'd rather be bleeding in a gutter with a gunshot wound while a bum urinates on me than go to a mall on Friday.

So, I'll go with the online option.
For anyone wondering, this is the correct answer.

America is in a sad state of affairs. Godspeed on Black Friday.

I am picking a washer/dryer this year. Should have pulled the trigger on Veterans Day ...missed out on some good ones.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 11-20-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,976,901 times
Quote:
Then immediately go out and buy a bunch of garbage for yourself and everyone you know.
I've noticed a growing anti-consumerism movement lately.

Maybe it's because of corporate greed. Maybe it's because of a new generation of people used to buying things without having a phsyical product to show for it. Maybe it's because people don't have money.

I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from, but I do know one thing: Before we put the kibosh on consumerism, we better figure out something other than cosumer spending to base our economy on and get in firmly into place.

For the current state of things, if you wish to keep the economy from slipping into recession again and want to keep unemployment in the single digits, you better hope that Americans spend, spend, spend this weekend!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM

449 posts, read 1,171,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
I went to the North Georgia Premium Outlets one time, been a few years back. It was nice.
I went to those outlets last year as well. Pretty good deals. I'm gonna do all my Black Friday shopping online this year tho.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've noticed a growing anti-consumerism movement lately.

Maybe it's because of corporate greed. Maybe it's because of a new generation of people used to buying things without having a phsyical product to show for it. Maybe it's because people don't have money.

I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from, but I do know one thing: Before we put the kibosh on consumerism, we better figure out something other than cosumer spending to base our economy on and get in firmly into place.

For the current state of things, if you wish to keep the economy from slipping into recession again and want to keep unemployment in the single digits, you better hope that Americans spend, spend, spend this weekend!
Nobody is "putting the kibosh on consumerism."

It's entirely possible to be a consumer without going out and spending a bunch of money on worthless stuff. Giving someone a gift card, or donating to a charity on behalf of someone else provide the same benefit to the economy as buying a van full of tacky clothes and cheap toys.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,976,901 times
Quote:
Giving someone a gift card
So they can go spend the gift card on tacky clothes and cheap toys themselves?

Quote:
donating to a charity on behalf of someone else
If someone did that for me, I'd punch them in the stomach and tell them to get out of my house.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

If someone did that for me, I'd punch them in the stomach and tell them to get out of my house.
I that case, you deserve no gift at all. From anyone, ever again. What a beautiful thing to say on the eve of Thanksgiving.

I make a donation to a charity that my parents are passionate about every year for chiristmas. They clearly find it more meaningful than whatever item I might buy for them. Likewise, I ask them to make a donation to an animal charity as their gift to me. I'd rather know some dogs and cats in a shelter are being cared for than receive some new shirts, or a set of screwdrivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: