Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
In that I actually have a job to do and I swore to myself that I would stay out of this... I just want to quickly point out that the urban campus is a strength of GSU, not a weakness, and GSU is not looking for a suburban presence. While many on this board have quite a fear of downtown, GSU students don't. The firm contracted by the university to update its master plan found that the urban campus was a primary reason students came to GSU. And as soon as a dorm opens, it is filled to capacity. Moreover, GSU is anything but hemmed in by being in downtown. Over the past ten years, GSU has doubled the physical space it inhabits downtown. The new master plan identified three primary corridors for continued growth, one of which is the Courtland/Piedmont corridor. Come downtown at 10:00 at night and drive north on Piedmont from Decatur St. to Ellis St. (or walk it if you can get past your irrational fear!). You will be shocked by the amount of foot traffic. The dormitories have been a game changer.
Excellent, knowledgeable post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Why is everyone thumb upping this one post. It contributed the least to this entire thread.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Why is everyone thumb upping this one post. It contributed the least to this entire thread.
Because not everyone agrees with you, obviously.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Because not everyone agrees with you, obviously.
lol.. Hey man, this is MY school they're railing on. A lot of what they say is true though..as much as I hate to say it. Some dude walks in claims to be too important with his 'job' and throws out a bunch of opinions and suddenly he's a hero.

Go 'Murica.

mathman and DCM: "bunch of facts, statistics, links, opinions, history citations, in-field experiences etc."

some dude: ....no you.

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 12-22-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
lol.. Hey man, this is MY school they're railing on. A lot of what they say is true though..as much as I hate to say it. Some dude walks in claims to be too important with his 'job' and throws out a bunch of opinions and suddenly he's a hero.

Go 'Murica.

mathman and DCM: "bunch of facts, statistics, links, opinions, history citations, in-field experiences etc."

I'm not trying to rail GSU. This is all a discussion. I came across something interesting that even I didn't know before, so I went ahead and posted a thread on it. Of course, people will get upset if you point out flaws in something they care about. That's natural.

Granted, Mathman and I have been debating on how to improve the USG rather than improve GSU in particular. GGC-GSU v SPSU-GSU was the only related point.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:46 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I think the two will complement each other. Also since Atlanta is approaching 6 million metro, I think both school will be okay.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Georgia State marched in the CHOA parade today.

Yay for marching alongside the Distinguished Clowns... -__-

Am I the only one that prefers the actual GSU flame logo over the panther logo? The panther logo makes me feel like I go to some rachet school.

atlwarrior, location and population is not really a problem. GA's population boom is actually what's contributing to all this growth. But college enrollment.. It isn't like that anymore. Not for research universities. Obviously Augusta State and Macon State have students predominantly from that area, but GSU's student body isn't like that. Most feeder schools for GSU are in Gwinnett and Lawrenceville, but we do have a lot of Atlanta kids. Honestly, we don't WANT Atlanta kids lol those are the kids you see smoking weed and dealing in front of the library hahaha(yes this has happened before. No I wasn't a apart of it)

Merry Christmas USG debate team. To students applying to colleges...

May the odds be ever in your favor

Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 AM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I think the two will complement each other. Also since Atlanta is approaching 6 million metro, I think both school will be okay.
Unfortunately, that's the problem! GSU is a research university, while KSU is a state university. They aren't supposed to complement each other.

GSU should not actually be competing with GA Southern, KSU, SPSU, GCSU and UNG. I wonder how other 'state' Us fare in other states. Do people choose Wayne State U over Michigan State? Or Seattle College over Washington State?

They don't.

And Chef, I think the two logos are just for different uses. They have a football logo and they have a university emblem. UGA and GT also have their mascot logos. It doesn't detract from the school name.

I would think it's better if people automatically knew GSU from a blue panther rather than a bold sign that reads "GEORGIA STATE"

But I do agree, that in general, population growth is beneficial for schools. From potential donors, to students, to jobs..to more simpler things such as a stronger football viewership, Georgia's growth is a good thing.

Is it a good thing for GSU or GPC or Georgia Tech? I can't say.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM

I mean more people probably means a good thing for every school..at least in terms of money.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:

Go 'Murica.

It's your school and no one else's? I've got news for you...I went there too, so it's also MY school, and I totally agreed with the post I "thumbed up". Not everyone shares your little opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta