Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times

Advertisements

there are a lot of idiots who have come in here and replied, and i assume that many of them have never been to either east point or college park because neither is hood or rough unless you're talking about way west of the downtown areas or up north around campbellton road. right around the downtown areas are some pretty nice and beautiful neighbourhoods that listening to a bunch of fools would make you miss out on. if you don't believe me, here are some google maps views:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

this is actually a neat house with a stream running under it:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

these guys are jerks for perpetuating the myth that college park is "hood". college park is only "hood" for someone who grew up safe but wants somewhere to rep to sound gangsta. college park did have some projects back in the 80s and before, but were in the aforementioned west and north parts of town and have been gone for years.

the only places you should look out for are cleveland avenue east of norman berry, down around camp creek parkway, and up around campbellton road, which is not east point anyway.

seriously, one of the most elite private schools used by folks from all over the metro (woodward academy) is located in downtown college park. you guys need to shut up and go back to johns creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree. I've known people that have lived in the older neighborhoods of both cities and liked it. You can have the feel of Virginia-Highland or Morningside for a lot less money.
There are some very nice historic neighborhoods in both East Point and College Park that I would easily recommend to anyone, but the city of East Point has issues and can't seem to get much of anything done due to conflicts between the city council and mayor. East Point had a lot of promise 15 years ago, but it has definitely declined in recent years. The best thing going for EP is the proximity to downtown/Midtown IMO.

As far as some of these posts calling EP/CP "hood" or "ghetto", these cities are just like any other - with both good and bad neighborhoods. There are areas of each that I would stay away from, but other areas that are beautiful. Usually people who bad-mouth these cities don't know squat about them, so I hope the OP will keep that in mind.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good post--there are actually a lot of white people that live in East Point and College Park and love it.
The white population of EP/CP is still pretty low (around 15%), but has grown a great deal in the last 15 years. When I moved to East Point it was less than 10%.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
We have several good friends who live in College Park and East Point and they are quite happy there. We used to have a good bit of family over that way but they've all passed on now.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I have a good friend who lives in East Point and has for the past 10 years or so.

He said College Park has some good areas and some bad. I know he feels pretty good about his part of East Point, but he did say that every street is going to have at least one loser living on it. I know that even though he likes it, he is also disappointed in how slow its progress has been.

One thing that I noted to him was that I have never really had a reason to ever go to East Point. Even if you don't live in East Atlanta, Little 5 Points, Inman Park, etc. you have probably been there for a festival, restaurant, store, or just something you needed or wanted to do there. East Point/College Park don't see to have any draw for anybody not living there. I don't know, maybe that's the way they like it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM

66 posts, read 103,537 times
I don't live in College Park but I have been there both during day and night. I also have coworkers from there and they said it's not that bad. I really think people shouldn't talk if they don't know for sure. There may not be a huge White population there but that don't mean it's bad or racist. I am not White but I know other Whites who been there and they never said they were threatened. Same with MARTA where I see many White people and others and I have never felt in danger. Maybe if we were talking about Chicago or some other city, then yes, but people really should stop exaggerating or speaking out of ignorance. Best way to know is to look around, ask others,(there are nice people) and then give it a try if you find something you like. I doubt you will have problems. Use some common sense as with any place.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 PM

937 posts, read 926,834 times
I have family who live in Jefferson Park in East Point and I can vouch that it's quite nice. It's near downtown East Point and never have it's NOTHING like some of the repliers on the board have claimed. East Point and College Park are seeing gentrification currently. College Park actually is having cookie cutter housing a la Marietta subdivision style. It's quite the opposite of what MANY people will tell you.
If the OP is interested, Hapeville near the airport is actually kinda nice. It has a classic feel to it.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
Ive got 2 words...ghe-tto...yea i said two words

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Ive got 2 words...ghe-tto...yea i said two words
Especially Old National & Godby Road. They kill people over there all the time. Camp Creek area is ok though. Its all still hood though.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Especially Old National & Godby Road. They kill people over there all the time. Camp Creek area is ok though. Its all still hood though.
yeah! and 3 miles away AND on the other side of the airport from downtown college park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta