Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,829,190 times

Advertisements

With Atlanta Neighborhood Charter Schools being all the rage in the Grant Park area, what do you think will come of King Middle School? What should come of it? Do you see it becoming a respectable educational institution in the foreseeable future, or just a dumping ground for "those other kids"?

(BTW, by those "other kids", I'm primarily referring to predominantly poor and/or black kids.)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,541,641 times
I hope nothing happens to it. I went to king middle school and it was a great middle school. Back in the eighties they had band, performing arts, choir, gospel choir and loads of other things to do. They also had a swimming pool which was part of the curriculum.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,770,666 times
As Jackson H.S. improves the middle schools will improve with it. Now that all SE neighborhoods are feeding into a single H.S. school, it should greatly improve the schools.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As Jackson H.S. improves the middle schools will improve with it. Now that all SE neighborhoods are feeding into a single H.S. school, it should greatly improve the schools.
I kinda thought it was the other way around... as the middle schools improve the high schools will improve with it.

I don't think Coan (for example) has as bad a reputation as King. I definitely know it has more community support. Secondly, everyone that I know in the Grant Park area refuse to send their children to King. For many, it is either Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School or private school. The other schools that feed into Jackson largely have community support. The parents can choose the one public school option or not. In the Grant Park area, there are two public school options, one the people like and respect, and one that they do not. When these are the choices, what happens to the latter?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,129,060 times
Equinox,
I really don't see the point of the post - except to start mess.
If people don't like King, they don't like it. What is the point?
If people want to send their kids to private school, so what. What is the point?
If "everyone" that you know refuses to send their kids to King, and they'll resort to private schools, and even if they have only public school as a choice and they go with the other public school, well, what is the point? Is there anything positive that can come out of this? It sounds like you obviously don't like the school either.
What are you trying to accomplish with this post/thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I kinda thought it was the other way around... as the middle schools improve the high schools will improve with it.

I don't think Coan (for example) has as bad a reputation as King. I definitely know it has more community support. Secondly, everyone that I know in the Grant Park area refuse to send their children to King. For many, it is either Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School or private school. The other schools that feed into Jackson largely have community support. The parents can choose the one public school option or not. In the Grant Park area, there are two public school options, one the people like and respect, and one that they do not. When these are the choices, what happens to the latter?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Equinox,
If people want to send their kids to private school, so what. What is the point?
If "everyone" that you know refuses to send their kids to King, and they'll resort to private schools, and even if they have only public school as a choice and they go with the other public school, well, what is the point? Is there anything positive that can come out of this? It sounds like you obviously don't like the school either.
The point is to come up with a solution to the problem. Do you think it is a problem at all? If a community invests in one school and not the other, then I would think the students at the latter school would suffer. I also think it splits the community racially and economically, thus widening the achievement gap. Should we just let that school and its patrons go to hell in a hand-basket? I am asking what can be done to improve King middle school. I think it is more of an issue of perception. Either way, what, if anything, can be done to improve that. If the answer is "nothing can be done and the school will continue to suffer from deinvestment", how does that help anyone? What if I wanted to move to GP and could not afford private school. Would I be in the wrong for inquiring about the future of the local public middle school? - I should also mention that everyone cannot attend the charter schools. I believe there is a lottery or something of the sort...

Last edited by equinox63; 11-29-2012 at 04:34 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Equinox,
Further, what if there are initiates to bolster the future of King Middle School that I am not aware of? For example, Jackson is in process of becoming an IB school. Will King (its feeder school) attempt to get IB MYP status? If you are put off by how I phrased the original question, I never gave my opinion. I really do not know enough about the inner workings of King to do so. All the opinions that I have mentioned are the comments that I have heard from local residents. . Even some teachers and administrators at King have said that they wish the local community that invests in the GP charter schools would have turned their attention to King first.

So if the future of King Middle is bright or dismal, how will I know unless I ask? And what is wrong with posing the question on a forum about Atlanta? When cqholt replied, I thought I gave a valid counterpoint (such is the case with these types of forums). I'm not sure how that is seen as rabble-rousing. The other poster discussed how they remember the school in the 80's. If I am off target with anything that I'm saying, this is the perfect venue to correct me, inform me, and point me in the right direction.

The positive thing that can come of this is attention, solutions, and an informative discussion. But I don't think ignoring it is the answer...

Last edited by equinox63; 11-29-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,770,666 times
Quote:
For example, Jackson is in process of becoming an IB school. Will King (its feeder school) attempt to get IB MYP status?
That is the plan.
I think that a better HS will encourage people to send their kids to the MS. MS seems to be where the issue is in APS. If the kids from Parkside do not ever go to King, how is the school ever going to improve if those great kids from ES are not allowed to move up through the grades? The kids from Toomer's improvement are just now starting at Coan and its make strides.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is the plan.
I think that a better HS will encourage people to send their kids to the MS. MS seems to be where the issue is in APS. If the kids from Parkside do not ever go to King, how is the school ever going to improve if those great kids from ES are not allowed to move up through the grades? The kids from Toomer's improvement are just now starting at Coan and its make strides.
I totally agree. The kids at Parkside do not ever go to King because the parents predominantly opt for the neighborhood charter school, a school out of their district, or private school. Your post is highlighting the exact issue that I am addressing. Toomer parents allow their kids to attend and bolster Coan. Parkside parents often do not do the same with King.

I spoke with a parent who lives directly across the street from King. His son attended Parkside, yet goes to middle school in the City of Decatur because he did not make it into the charter school. However, the father has high hopes for Jackson and plans to send him there when it is time for high school. Do you see my point?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,820,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I spoke with a parent who lives directly across the street from King. His son attended Parkside, yet goes to middle school in the City of Decatur because he did not make it into the charter school. However, the father has high hopes for Jackson and plans to send him there when it is time for high school. Do you see my point?
CSD has capacity to accept tuition students still? I knew that historically they did that, but I was under the impression it's increasingly rare due to space constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: