Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because I'm being honest? Should I be more specific and say, Africans Americans?

Tell me then. Why is it always AA who commit crimes on GSU students?
Nice troll job, buddy.

Are you from Europe? Someone check this posters IP address. Posters from certain European countries always add an 's' to the end of certain words.

For instance, I have French buddies that would type "70 millions dollars" or "You're of Aricans decent"

Could just be a typo from Ant tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Nice troll job, buddy.

Are you from Europe? Someone check this posters IP address. Posters from certain European countries always add an 's' to the end of certain words.

For instance, I have French buddies that would type "70 millions dollars" or "You're of Aricans decent"

Could just be a typo from Ant tho
It was a typo. My mistake. If I were living in Europe, I wouldn't waste my time posting here in Atlanta forum.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
What the census considers the metro area is about as real and objective as you can get. If you want to make up your own boundaries and classifications then feel free , but the census determines what any reputable sources uses to define a metro area.
There are areas closer to Atlanta than Jasper that aren't in the MSA like Gainesville, Cedartown, and Lagrange is just as close. You can even get to Alabama in a shorter distance than you can getting to Jasper. Do you count Adairsville, Athens, or Forsyth(not county) as part of Metro Atlanta? They are just as close as well and no one with a brain would consider any of those places part of Metro Atlanta.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM

492 posts, read 790,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
There are areas closer to Atlanta than Jasper that aren't in the MSA like Gainesville, Cedartown, and Lagrange is just as close. You can even get to Alabama in a shorter distance than you can getting to Jasper. Do you count Adairsville, Athens, or Forsyth(not county) as part of Metro Atlanta? They are just as close as well and no one with a brain would consider any of those places part of Metro Atlanta.
Well if you think the census bureau are wrong or "brainless" take it up with them. I didn't decide this.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree with your point that people from different cultures may have very differing ways of acting and seeing the world.

However, I don't believe that ever excuses violence or criminal conduct. (And I don't think that's what you were implying).
Not at all.But he is SAYING that race does have a bearing. Thats absurd. Environment shapes people behavior.Patterns are repeated by those closest to behavioral patterns.Such as poverty breeds more poverty and wealth creates more wealth.These patters can be broken but its not the most common route.
Another issue is education.It you are educated ,your children chances of being educated will MORE likely be educated.At the end of the day,it does come down to the individual.However when its one segment that seems to be higher in numbers than others in criminality,its not race but an environment that fosters ill behavior in some groups.
A JUST Society DOES owe it to those who it fails to hold true the promise of its fruits that fall from the tree called "oppottunity". A tree where the fruit has been reaped before the other groups come to gather is a tree that does not represent opportunity,but instead,a cruel reminder of what was never offered.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,841,604 times
That same saying "All this BLACK crime" was being said down here in Columbus. Until CPD start releasing mugshots monthly.

NEW: Spotted @ the Muscogee County Jail | Mugshot Galleries | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

The mainstream media is bias.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Because I'm being honest? Should I be more specific and say, Africans Americans?

Tell me then. Why is it always AA who commit crimes on GSU students?
What about the victims when they are black?Whats your answer for that?I was a recent victim of a crime and the perpetrators were also black.Should I a black male be scared I will hurt myself. lol

Were you raised in a bubble or do you not realize that the poverty rate and available usage of drugs fuels this need for people to commit crimes.Does it further escape you that the poverty rate among blacks and other minorities is higher than that of whites?Do i need to go further as why these disparities exist?

How many poor whites people do you see downtown?Its like going to Mexico City and complaining that only the darker Indians-Mexicans create all the crimes but the Spanish-Mexicans are always the victims.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Looks like the crime is creeping into the suburbs without the help of MARTA?! The suburbs are no longer a non-minority, middle and up class, crime free haven of the 1960's. The suburban counties will have to deal with the same issues of the urban cities; homeless, poverty, crime, and diverse population.
Crime has been in the Atlanta suburbs for years, long before this stabbing. I lived in a complex on Delk Road in Marietta, and I know someone who used to live on Franklin Road. Those are sketchy areas. I few weeks after I moved in(in 1996), a convenience store clerk was killed in an armed robbery, right across the street from where I used to live.

Now I live in Paulding County. When I moved out there, you could find drugs out there. In fact, a few weeks ago a man was killed in a drug bust a mile from where I live. When I was 17, I became a victim of Black on Black violence. I got jumped in my subdivision, by five teenagers, all of whom went to my high school. Before that, most of the people who caused crime in my subdivision were White kids. A few houses were burglarized for a time, and vandalism started happening. I was a victim of some of those crimes too. My house got vandalized and one kid shot me with a paintball gun, just as the school bus left. My neighbors let their son live with them. He was a drug dealer and he committed an armed robbery in Paulding County, in 2003.

When I lived in Kennesaw for a time, I saw some crime out there. In 2010, a 60 year old man got fired from Penske Truck rental. He murdered three co-workers later on. This guy came all the way from either Carrolton or somewhere along the far western periphery of metro Atlanta. I was even robbed in Kennesaw. Crime has been spreading out for years. All of this without MARTA. Douglas County has issues with crime, and MARTA doesn't go there either.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
But you can't deny it...blacks commit a large portion of the more serious and violent crimes around the metropolitan area.
I personally believe the issue is cultural and not due to genetics. The same people growing up in a different place would likely be quite different. Of course, I'm living in the 21st century and not the early 20th, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its only now, becoming more common as the population diversifies. Not trying to make anything negative about it. We have all read the articles about poverty rising, homelessness and other typical urban problems rise in the suburbs now.
Not true. I lived in Gwinnett throughout the 90s and there was plenty of diversity and crime then. If you have a source for this assertion, I'd love to see it. Everything I've seen shows that Gwinnett crime rates peaked around 2003 and are consistently trending down. For 2011, violent crime in Gwinnett was down by more than 20% from the previous year.

I suspect you are generalizing, in order to support your belief that city crime is unavoidable, that it's only a matter of time before the suburbs follow suit, and therefore, people might as well live in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta