Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 AM

114 posts, read 476,075 times

Advertisements

I bought my first home 3 months ago, and although I had what I thought was a very thorough inspection, I've encountered some major issues in the past few weeks (ahhh, first time homeowner woes...twinges of buyers' remorse, even though I tried to prepare myself for the responsibilites of home maintenance).

My two major issues of concern right now: Compressor in AC unit that needs to be replaced (or the whole unit itself), and major leaking in the roof/attic that's causing LARGE water stains on my ceilings and walls (this is scaring me).

Anyhow, I probably should have done this earlier, but I'm researching home warranty companies and plans right now. Seems liek American Home Shield is very popular, but which one do you use? Have you been happy with the contractors that they send out?

Thanks so much...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 AM

308 posts, read 1,038,344 times
AHS- They are automated and the service so far has been good.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,539,444 times
Typically these are a waste of money. First of all, those things you mention would not be covered since they exist before you got the warranty. Second of all, a typical rebuttal to the ever-popular compressor problem by the warranty company is "improper maintenance" which they will say nullifies the coverage. This whole industry is pretty much a scam - even if you get them to send somebody out, it will be a company/contractor hired by the warranty service and, believe me, they could not care less if they really fix the problem. Do some research on this and you will see this is a common complaint. We had it on our house when we bought it and our A/C unit kept cutting off (after only about 2 months of living there)...the vendor they sent out said the condensation pump was full of water. What does he do? He simply empties the water into the crawlspace and says "oh look, it's working now" then leaves with his $55 visit charge. Sure enough, 15 minutes later the pump is full of water again and the HVAC shuts off. My wife calls them up again (I was out of town for all this) and they say it will be another $55! She basically refuses to pay when they come out and say "oh look, the condensation pump wasn't plugged in!" So now it is fixed, but how do you not figure that out at the first visit??? These types of issues happen consistently, from what I have seen. I would personally save the money and use it for any repairs, which would be made by vendors YOU pick and trust.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 AM

66 posts, read 432,594 times
Don't get a home warranty. They are the biggest ripoffs around. They say that they cover items that break, but if you read the fine print, you will realize that they don't cover the items that could cause things to break. I would never even consider one again.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,839 times
Take the money you'd put towards a warranty and save it for the repairs as they come instead of giving away your money to a warranty company.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM

114 posts, read 476,075 times
So interesting...so I hear a lot of opposition to home warranty. Thanks for the insight.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
I have a home warranty with First American, and I too thought it would be a waste of money. However, we have had two major repairs in my place (the water heater busted and an AC problem), and I WELL made my money back on it. The water heater bill alone would have been $1200+, so paying $410 for the year saved me a lot (well, I had to pay a $75 service fee, but it still came out cheaper).

I do agree you need to read the fine print with it if you decide to use them. But it is like having insurance on your car or home, in a way. It's not useful if nothing happens, but if something does happen, then you get your money back and then some easily.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM

111 posts, read 532,335 times
Home are a lot like cars, you can't just drive it and think it'll be okay. I'm learning that you have to take care of your HVAC, water heater, ceiling fars, appliances and do so on a regular basis.

If you don't you'll get a very unpleasant surprise.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 PM

304 posts, read 1,431,044 times
We have American Home Shield (AHS) and have been very pleased with the service so far. We purchased our now 21 year old home about 2 1/2 years ago and have renewed the policy. Each year the warranty has more than paid for itself. We haven't had any problems with the company trying to get out of covering repairs done. We have been pleased with the various service people that have come to our home to repair items.

I don't believe a homeowner's warranty would cover your roof leak issue, even for future roof leaks.

As someone else mentioned, if you purchased a warranty now, it would only cover future items that break down; not pre-existing problems.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM

525 posts, read 1,852,182 times
They are a ripoff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: