Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times

Advertisements

DeKalb students will have to pay for AP exams | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
$89 for the exam. The cost of a college textbook is more than that. Remember the purpose of AP is to get credit for 3-4credit hour college level classes. Sounds like a great bargain!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
I remember that we paid for AP exams many moons ago when I took them.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Yes. The state paid for them for a while and then stopped. DCSS continued paying even though the system is broke. Now they are really broke, so there is no choice.

Students on free and reduce lunch can get a price break.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
$89 for the exam. The cost of a college textbook is more than that. Remember the purpose of AP is to get credit for 3-4credit hour college level classes. Sounds like a great bargain!
$89 is not a bargin for the 57% of DeKalb students on free lunch. This is not going to be good.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
$89 is not a bargin for the 57% of DeKalb students on free lunch. This is not going to be good.
I remember paying for the exam when growing up in another state, and I always that it was interesting (and possibly a good idea) for the state to pay for such exams.

Of course, I also think ACT/SAT prep classes are effectively cheating. If you can't do well on the test without such a crutch, maybe you shouldn't take it at all...

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
I couldn't be bothered with AP classes, just stuck to my regular honors and got As...with much more time to socialize and have fun. Wasnt in a rush to graduate college early (can't imagine why anyone would want to do that - just to do what - get a job and begin the daily monotone of life as an adult)? Anybody who is special enough to take AP classes, which is totally optional, should pay for the exam. It's a totally optional endeavor.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I couldn't be bothered with AP classes, just stuck to my regular honors and got As...with much more time to socialize and have fun. Wasnt in a rush to graduate college early (can't imagine why anyone would want to do that - just to do what - get a job and begin the daily monotone of life as an adult)? Anybody who is special enough to take AP classes, which is totally optional, should pay for the exam. It's a totally optional endeavor.
It's not only about finishing college early, it's about getting into top universities and possibly with scholarship. College tuition probably wasn't anywhere near what it is now from the time you reference. The above poster said that AP exams are bargins. Well, compared to the $162 you would spend on a single credit hour course at Valdosta State it sure is.

For the high achieving students in DeKalb who have money problems at home, this is not a good thing. For those who scored 1s on every AP exam they took, yes I suppose we save some money there.

Pros v cons. You weigh them.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
You lost me on that first part. What does AP credit have to do with being competitive to get into top universities? Maybe things are different nowadays but back in the early 90's that didn't seem to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
It's not only about finishing college early, it's about getting into top universities and possibly with scholarship. College tuition probably wasn't anywhere near what it is now from the time you reference. The above poster said that AP exams are bargins. Well, compared to the $162 you would spend on a single credit hour course at Valdosta State it sure is.

For the high achieving students in DeKalb who have money problems at home, this is not a good thing. For those who scored 1s on every AP exam they took, yes I suppose we save some money there.

Pros v cons. You weigh them.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
You lost me on that first part. What does AP credit have to do with being competitive to get into top universities? Maybe things are different nowadays but back in the early 90's that didn't seem to be an issue.
For some schools, a 4.0 GPA plus good SAT/ACT scores are a given, since most applicants will meet those requirements. It's the extra-curriculars and additional classes taken that can be differentiators.

I personally knew what I wanted to do and knew that a state university in my area would provide a top notch program, at least at the time. Some people want more. That's their issue as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta