Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 77,090 times

Advertisements

Ive never been pulled over before, but i was tonight. speed limit was 55mph, i was sitting in the right lane with a car on my left, and a truck tailgating me. i had to take a left turn exit up ahead and my choices were either slow down, with a tailgater, or speed up and overtake the car. of course i sped up, overtook the car, and wham, pulled over for driving too fast. they clocked me at 72, which is about right, i gunned it to get away from the tailgater (and i was doing 65 like everyone else does on 316).

anyways, i explained this to the officer, he was like, well, next time, dont worry about the tailgater, just slow down and move over when you get a chance instead of speeding up.

gee, thanks.

so, on the ticket he said i admitted my guilt, which i suppose i did, since i told him i had to speed up to get away from the tailgater and into my turn lane. does this mean i should just pay the fine and accept the points and get on with my life? is it worth trying to fight it since it says i have admitted guilt? what should i do? im a total noob when it comes to this.

EDIT: A few other things, yes, im manning up, this was totally my fault, the previous thing was an explanation of the circumstances, NOT an excuse. Secondly i live in gwinnett county, and this was about 3 minutes from my house, so im guessing the court stuff is in gwinnett somewhere as well.

Any idea what the fine will be? ballpark?

One last question, i know this thing has 2 points that comes along with it, and im not sure i want to waste my 1 "no lo" thing on this, just in case (especially since ive never been pulled over before) but how long does it take for those 2 points to come off my record?

Last edited by inferno272; 09-28-2008 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 AM

59 posts, read 228,183 times
I'm new to the area and don't know all the rules yet regarding these things but I would plead not guilty, mail your ticket in with a letter outlining everything that happened... basically what you wrote in your post, and hope for a reduced fine. You never know, the person reviewing might have done the same thing you have at some point in their life and have some sympathy for you.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 AM

97 posts, read 437,679 times
You can't plead not guilty in GA and mail in a letter.

Wait a few weeks as it will take that long for all of the paperwork to reach all of the necessary departments. Then, call the solicitor's office and ask to speak to the solicitor (the solicitor is like the DA of traffic court). Explain your circumstance and see if they'll lower it to 14mph over the limit. This will void the points, but the fine will stand. GA does not report to insurance companies until 15mph over the limit.

Do NOT plead NOLO for a speeding ticket of this stature.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 77,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbrad View Post

Wait a few weeks as it will take that long for all of the paperwork to reach all of the necessary departments. Then, call the solicitor's office and ask to speak to the solicitor (the solicitor is like the DA of traffic court). Explain your circumstance and see if they'll lower it to 14mph over the limit. This will void the points, but the fine will stand. GA does not report to insurance companies until 15mph over the limit.

Do NOT plead NOLO for a speeding ticket of this stature.
yeah, i figured using a NOLO here would be retarded. thanks for the advice. any idea what the fine would be, cost wise? times are hard (Arent they for everyone?) im hoping it wont be exorbitant. my brother got a ticket for failure to change lanes or whatever when he drove by a cop, and got a $500 fine. sheesh, im hoping this isnt as bad. honestly im hoping closer to like 150.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
Quote:

Wait a few weeks as it will take that long for all of the paperwork to reach all of the necessary departments.

A few weeks???

Maybe, it was because Rockdale is so small but when I received my first ticket, I had a court date in exactly 2 weeks....Which was a shock coming from MD....

17 over...? My fine for going 60 in a 45 was $108...

Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,779,916 times
You're not going to be able fight it unless you're clearly right and there are witnesses. The fact you admitted guilt makes it so at best you could negotiate it down. It's about making money.

Offering proactively to take defensive driving courses, etc, sometimes works to keep yourself from getting more points on your license.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
Quote:
GA does not report to insurance companies until 15mph over the limit.
This is a popular misconception, DMV does not report your MVR to your insurance company.

Your insurance company has to request and pull your MVR. You can call and ask.

My MVR hasn't been pulled for more than 2.5 years. I know b/c my agent told me when I asked.

Points on your license also has nothing to do with your insurance b/c it goes on your MVR and it's up to the insurance company to determine if your rate goes up b/c of a ticket.

Even if you were to plea no-lo and receive no points, the ticket would still go on your MVR and it's up to your insurance company on whether or not to raise your rates.

This is a 2 point ticket, you need something like 21 points in a 2 year period to lose your license so don't worry about the points so much.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM

244 posts, read 865,712 times
I have been to traffic court several times and the judge almost always sides with the police officer. I sat there once waiting for my turn and there was a woman involved in an accident attempting to plead her case. Although she brought witnesses to dispute the officer's report, the judge still ruled against her. Whatever the reason is, you were speeding. Like you said, "man up" and pay the ticket. Fines vary by county. I was pulled over in Fulton for going 72 in a 55 last year. The fine was almost $300. It hurts but it's the responsible thing to do.

Last edited by saharaga; 09-29-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 46,347 times
I would recommend buying a CD from thegeorgiaspeedingticketkiller.com It got me out of a 70 in 45 ticket. The CD shows you how to act in court and what questions to ask as well provides case laws to print out.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
I have received a fair share of speeding and other tickets, and always found it much easier to just pay them. Who wants to go through all the court process for a simple speeding ticket, unless it's going to cause you other major headaches like driving classes and such?

Only once have I had to go to court (because I don't think you can just mail in expired registration fines), and listening to these people try to defend themselves was laughable. Especially when they were asking for jury trials for a $100 ticket that they KNOW they were guilty of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta