Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Holy cow! I just looked at the aerials and I never realized that the Scream Machine basically hugs the river at one point. What an underused resource, if nothing else, just for views.

Though I can understand the Fulton Industrial thing. I am a fan of the seedy and weird. I love Clermont Lounge and Cheshire Bridge Road makes me happy. I've gone to Bankhead Courts and Greenbriar Mall just to see what they're like...but even I have never ventured onto Fulton Industrial. The only time I have ever even heard it mentioned as a place people go is when couples mention it because I think there is a swingers club over there. Why the best swinging club in Atlanta is there, I don't know, but I have also heard it's one of the few places left where you can pick up a street walker and go to a local motel.

Of course, now my curiosity is piqued and I want to go check it out! To see the sketchiest and grossest parts of Fulton Industrial, what stretch of the road would you recommend?
Exit I-20 and you're there! I've had drug dealers approach my car at the traffic light at the bottom of the ramp. Turn left (south) and go to the 2nd traffic light and up on the hill is where all the private sex / swinger clubs are (yes .... more than one). No, I've never been. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Oh I love the contrasts of the world of family fun right next to the world of sleazy adult fun! Makes me smile!

I always feel bad for unsuspecting visitors that may find the hotels on fulton industrial, think it is a great deal and so close to the park and choose to stay there. I would hate this town forever if that ever happened to me. Hopefully the hourly rates would clue them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Though I can understand the Fulton Industrial thing. I am a fan of the seedy and weird. I love Clermont Lounge and Cheshire Bridge Road makes me happy. I've gone to Bankhead Courts and Greenbriar Mall just to see what they're like...but even I have never ventured onto Fulton Industrial. The only time I have ever even heard it mentioned as a place people go is when couples mention it because I think there is a swingers club over there. Why the best swinging club in Atlanta is there, I don't know, but I have also heard it's one of the few places left where you can pick up a street walker and go to a local motel.
We must be kindred spirits, I love that stuff too! Unfortunately, or honestly fortunately, I think I have seen everything. There really isn't much as far seedy goes around Atlanta. You have Cheshire, which can be rather pedestrian, the Bluffs which can be frightening, and Fulton Industrial. I have always wished I could check out NYC in the 70s to really see the seediness ooooozing out of that city.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I don't know how the Orlando theme parks manage to stay open year round, other than the fact they employ mostly adults willing to work for a pitiful wage.
Disney offers an internship to college students to work a couple of semesters, take classes during their off days, and get free admission for family to the parks.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What's "on the other side of the river" is the biggest problem with Six Flags. Fulton Industrial is absolutely one of the scariest, sketchiest, weirdest areas of all Metro Atlanta. It's the ONLY PLACE I've ever been where drug dealers and hustlers walk right up to your car in broad daylight soliciting with Fulton County cops sitting watching everything in plain view. Fulton Industrial at night is the only place in Metro Atlanta where i have ever felt truly afraid for my life. And you've got families with little kiddies enjoying a day at the theme park one exit over?! Creepy ... scary .... sad.
I had the same thoughts about FIB, but what I was proposing wouldn't touch on the actual road itself, just whatever is facing the bank on the other side. There doesn't need to be any direct access across the river, just that the view be pleasant. Wouldn't want a bunch of rubbish staring you in the face.

Google satellite image shows that there is a large row of trees facing the rive on the Fulton side, then a railroad track then a couple of blocks of industrial type buildings between that and the actual seedy stretch of FIB. Don't think utilizing the river front would encounter the sleaze anymore than the parking lot facing the river. I remember taking a picnic and getting a pass out of the park to go eat our lunch and sitting right on the bank of the river in the parking lot.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I really think it was better kept in the past. My mother was an avid gardener, she loved to go just to see the planting beds in the park. On a trip to Disney, she noticed that while it was indeed grander, we still had a great park back home. As a youngster, she instilled in me an awareness of details like this that most kids probably don't care about. This is the kind of deterioration I have noticed, the lack of money and time put into things like flower beds and just the general upkeep.... fading paint, dirty restrooms with broken fixtures, those little detail things that make a place seem past its prime.
I'm a fanatical gardener and I usedtonotice the same thing. The grounds were beautifully maintained. I haven't been since the late 90s and even then it was starting to show its age. The offspring is starting to ask to go, but if it's worse than it was then I'm thinking we should opt into Disney instead. My MIL lives there. Wonder if we can get the instate discount.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Not just Six Flags but why does everything in the Atlanta area close so early when the weather is nice for so long here? I had a relative visit here in September and could not take them to Six Flags outside the weekend because they had already drastically cut back there operating hours. Same thing went for Stone Mountain and the Water Parks and Lake Lanier had just about closed all together by then. Even the hotel my realative was staying in had closed it's outdoor pool for the rest of the year. All of this despite the weather being perfect to enjoy those places.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Not just Six Flags but why does everything in the Atlanta area close so early when the weather is nice for so long here? I had a relative visit here in September and could not take them to Six Flags outside the weekend because they had already drastically cut back there operating hours. Same thing went for Stone Mountain and the Water Parks and Lake Lanier had just about closed all together by then. Even the hotel my realative was staying in had closed it's outdoor pool for the rest of the year. All of this despite the weather being perfect to enjoy those places.
It can get colder here in October. I went to Fright Night 2 years ago. Riding the coasters in 30 degree weather was like needles.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
I think what makes them close early is the roller coaster (intended) type weather we have near the end of the year. It is totally unpredictable. I am certain that these companies have run many models projecting income and basing their closing dates off of that. It is costly to get a large park open and ready to go, probably not something they can do on the fly.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Exit I-20 and you're there! I've had drug dealers approach my car at the traffic light at the bottom of the ramp. Turn left (south) and go to the 2nd traffic light and up on the hill is where all the private sex / swinger clubs are (yes .... more than one). No, I've never been. LOL
you had a drug dealer approach you off six flags drive?? Thats weird...its such quiet area...its only crowded when the park is open.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
you had a drug dealer approach you off six flags drive?? Thats weird...its such quiet area...its only crowded when the park is open.
He is talking Fulton Industrial Boulevard and I-20, not Six Flags Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta