Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,217 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're relocating to Atlanta early next year and would appreciate some tips

1. Budget: <=$2,500 pm (rental)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House/townhome
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): Commute (workplace in Sandy Springs)
4. Children(public school vs. private): No children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: No strong preference, but lean towards suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Not important

We'd like easy access to a pool too (either community or private)

Any advice on areas would be great - is this scope achievable within 30 mins drive of Sandy Springs withink this budget?

Also, is it possible to rent furnished places or are the majority unfurnished? (We'd rather not ship furniture).

Thanks very much,

Des
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 AM

20 posts, read 66,031 times
Kennesaw, GA is a nice area kind of a mix of the suburbs and some city. Well not atlanta size haha no but still has that busy feel, it's no more than a 25min drive, to sandy springs area. 20 mins from atlanta, it has some good hiking close by, lots of shopping with a mall and resturants, they have a indoor ice rink and lots more. The housing isn't that pricey so consider your budget you'll be able to find a nice sized place. Atlanta just a heads up, is horrible at rush hour 6am to 8am into the city 4pm to 6pm leaving, try and avoid those times. Hope so of this helped you out, Goodluck!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Sandy Springs is a great place to live. You should easily find a community with a swimming pool.

Most furnished places are called corporate housing so you would want to search using that term. At 2500 furnished that would put you more in a townhome.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM

68 posts, read 134,153 times
Woodstock/ Towne Lake area is beautiful and one of the fastest growing suburbs in the country.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM

163 posts, read 431,433 times
I'm in Buckhead in corporate housing. It's a one-bedroom, $2,100/month, furnished and including cable/internet and utilities. Also includes all kitchen utensils, etc., and bedding. It's okay--the downside is that it really doesn't feel like home.

For comparison, I'm taking an apartment on a six-month lease in Inman Park starting in January. It's also a one-bedroom, and it's $1,395, which includes trash removal and nothing else. I'll get my own cable/internet and utilities, which should be about $200/month max. If I decide to rent furniture, I'll only get living room (shipping other furniture down--I am on a relo package), which is $150 per month. That saves me about $350 month. I only point this out because you may want to look into renting a place you like, and then furniture yourself rather than through a corporate apartment. For a couple of months, when I knew I wouldn't stay in Buckhead long, it made sense to go all-in on the corporate housing. Once I figured out where I really wanted to be and decided it was time to get my stuff down here from NJ, it made more sense to do it the other way.

PS--I'll also note that the corporate housing leasing place made it clear that if you do a lease under three months, you also pay tax on it. So, for the first couple of months, that $2,100 was more like $2,300. You're going to want to ask about that.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by netsirk; 12-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 AM

4 posts, read 5,217 times
Thanks very much guys, all advice much appreciated
I'll take a look at all the suggestions and post back

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 AM

91 posts, read 163,415 times
which part of England are you from and what is the industry you will be working in? I am hoping to relocate there too

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

15 posts, read 25,932 times
Default Good luck from a fellow Londoner!

It is a process but the weather is mostly lovely (if you can handle the heat). Lots of branston pickle and PG tips everywhere. You'll be fine with a cuppa.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM

100 posts, read 142,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckheadmama View Post
It is a process but the weather is mostly lovely (if you can handle the heat). Lots of branston pickle and PG tips everywhere. You'll be fine with a cuppa.
Yes but Publix sells Branston pickle as 'mincemeat'. Try putting THAT in a mince pie (I did, the first year I moved here )
To the OP: Where in the UK are you from? The UK definitions of 'suburban' and 'urban' are very different from here.

Last edited by kittyjo; 12-06-2012 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
I think around the Sandy Springs and Roswell area will be fine in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta