Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM

60 posts, read 98,663 times

Advertisements

It depends on whether you enjoy having a steady flow of snow during the winter. Personally, I don't feel much of a difference when it comes to 40 vs 20 degrees in the winter, and I feel that a summer that's even a little bit more mild than Atlanta's wouldn't really be a bad thing.

It's all preference I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
7 degrees when talking about statistical averages is actually large....

Remember, if forecaster say a winter will be 2 degrees warmer on average, that generally means more days of warmth and if they say it will be 2 degree colder, it will mean more days of cold. Winters where it is super cold generally only have averages of 2-3 degree colder.

7 degrees is massive...don't underestimate it...
But most of that 7 degree variation is due to the colder winter, which BryantM pointed out above. NYC is about 10 degrees colder than Atlanta in winter, the rest of the year (other seasons) is pretty much a wash. It is quite often MUCH hotter in NYC in summer than ATL.

I've got both Atlanta and NYC (among other cities) weather on my iPhone App and compare the temps daily. It's shocking how often the weather here in Savannah is cooler than NYC.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times
Having moved here from NYC metro (northern Jersey) in August, I'd put summers fairly even. Humidity is brutal over about 85 no matter what. And winters up there can be awful. It does vary, but there are years when NJ gets hit with a worse winter than the Boston/NH area. (My family lives there...)

So far, I'm loving fall into winter here. No complaints. I went to college in upstate NY, where it started snowing in October and stopped in April. That's where I really learned to hate winter.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
But most of that 7 degree variation is due to the colder winter, which BryantM pointed out above. NYC is about 10 degrees colder than Atlanta in winter, the rest of the year (other seasons) is pretty much a wash. It is quite often MUCH hotter in NYC in summer than ATL.

I've got both Atlanta and NYC (among other cities) weather on my iPhone App and compare the temps daily. It's shocking how often the weather here in Savannah is cooler than NYC.
I don't think you understand how this works.

That graph clearly shows that there is a significant difference in the average highs/lows for most of the year and not just the winter. Ant was right.

There will be some days where Georgia is cooler than New York, but on average, NYC is a much cooler city. Atlanta's climate is no more like NY than it is like New Orleans, for example:

Climate Comparison for Atlanta, GA and New Orleans, LA

Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 AM

111 posts, read 166,952 times
The only similarity NYC and Atlanta have is that they both have moderate climates for their location. NYC could be much colder and Atlanta could be much hotter.

SUMMER:
In the dead of summer, Atlanta is 5-7 degrees hotter than NYC on average.

This is because Atlanta is hot and humid more consistently and for a longer period of time.

NYC can be as hot and humid as Atlanta at times but it seems to get breaks often with much more bearable weather with the highs reaching low 80s/high 70s throughout the summer. The average high in NYC is about 84 in July and 82 in August, so there are many days in that only get to the high 70s to offset those really hot days.

A lot of people talk about the unbearable heat of NYC in the summer because they only remember the worst days. This is further exacerbated by the dense population, traffic, lack of central AC in most homes, etc... Atlanta is better equipped to handle the heat.

FALL:
The cool weather arrives MUCH sooner in NYC. Atlanta's average high in September is NYC's high in the middle of the summer! HOWEVER, the lows in both cities are pretty similar during this time. So, Atlanta gets much warmer in the day but falls back to very cool nights. Atlanta's highs in the fall are pretty much summer by northern standards, with the exception of cool nights.

WINTER:
NYC has a moderate winter for its northern location, but it is much colder than Atlanta. Atlanta's high in February is 15 degrees higher on average than NYC. That is really significant! NYC also gets a fair amount of snow (over two feet) versus a sprinkling once in a while in Atlanta.

SPRING:
NYC has a true long spring (in my opinion). Atlanta basically has summer weather starting in late April. In the spring months, Atlanta's highs are 10-15 degrees warmer than NYC. Summer doesn't start in NYC until early June.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
It snowed last night in Cobb even if u had to look real hard to see it lol

Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Ridiculous comparison unless you prefer Winter weather with a lot of snow?

I just looked at the 10 day forecast for both cities and Atlanta is looking at high temps in the 50's almost every day (and this is January!) whereas NYC is looking at highs in the 30's.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:33 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
You can get summer days in NYC just as hot and humid or more so than ATL but not as consistently or for as many months. Not even the same Koppen classification. The high temperatures aren't very comparable. Now the lows aren't as far off. Much more massive heat island effect and right on the coast.

Back to op... Really depends on what you like. I hate winter so of course I think ATL has a better climate. And it's really not that hot. SE Texas is way worse. September there is like August here. Sometimes worse.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
NYC stays below freezing for 4-6 weeks every January. April is cold and rainy with an occasional snowstorm. Memorial Day weekend has nights in the low '40s.

NYC has 5 warmish months per year and 7 coolish months per year.

NYC has 2nd highest amount of rainfall in the country after Miami. Seattle is 3rd.

NYC's summer is short and sweet. Atlanta's winter is short and sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta