Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times

Advertisements

Well $200M of the stadium cost is expected to come from seat licensing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How much are tickets going up to pay of the stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Here's some food for thought....

But how many jobs will be lost at the Georgia Dome?

We couldn't even hang on to an NHL team. Who cares about a soccer team? With the crowd that would draw, they could set up bleachers in Piedmont park and play there.

That was only because Atlanta wanted an Olympic bid, which would have been impossible to achieve without the stadium. There's a big difference between getting an internationally lauded event that lasts 3 weeks and attracting a new game or two.
THe Dome was built way before Atlanta even secured the Olympics.It was opened in 1992.Had nothing to do with the Olympics.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM

145 posts, read 361,532 times
YAY! Build it!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Quote:
We couldn't even hang on to an NHL team.
Having an ownership group consciously sabotaging the team to justify selling it off didn't help either. Ever seen the movie Major League? That's what happened here. We had plenty of fans here that realized what the owners were doing, and they boycotted. Winning also helps, and when the team was winning in 2007 (its only playoff season), the crowds showed up:

Quote:
Who cares about a soccer team? With the crowd that would draw, they could set up bleachers in Piedmont park and play there.
There are plenty of soccer fans here. If you were anywhere near town during the last two World Cups or at the sold out Georgia Dome during the international soccer games a few years ago, you'd know that. Soccer is the world's only truly global sport, and that's coming from a die-hard football fan. Don't be surprised when Major League Soccer surpasses the NHL, if they ever drop the puck again, as #4 sport in the United States.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
I am hoping this gets built because it is the only way we realistically can get an MLS team. One other thing I noticed that I thought was somewhat funny is the talk of the BCS NC game. The BCS is basically going away next year and the playoff locations have already been picked.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I am hoping this gets built because it is the only way we realistically can get an MLS team. One other thing I noticed that I thought was somewhat funny is the talk of the BCS NC game. The BCS is basically going away next year and the playoff locations have already been picked.
It's definitely a huge win that the stadium will meet FIFA standards, and that they'll consider an MLS team. (Seriously, couldn't Blank have mentioned some of this stuff in past articles and manage public perception a bit?)

Re: College Football, Atlanta has been shortlisted to be a semifinal location on a rotating basis (as I've argued that it most certainly should, given the proximity of fanbases and the high costs of travel to neutral fields). Finals, probably not so much. But the Dome is considered perfectly acceptable for CFB purposes so it's kind of irrelevant imo.

Blank optimistic about new stadium, seeks architects - Atlanta Business Chronicle

The fact that he says he's hiring top architects in the world is I guess a good sign too. I really want some amazing bang for the ($300 million) buck(s).

Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Having an ownership group consciously sabotaging the team to justify selling it off didn't help either. Ever seen the movie Major League? That's what happened here. We had plenty of fans here that realized what the owners were doing, and they boycotted. Winning also helps, and when the team was winning in 2007 (its only playoff season), the crowds showed up:

Oh man, that picture of the Thrashers playoff game makes me smile and cry at the same time. I was sitting right behind this camera's perspective. That was a fun time, and the crowd was awesome. Atlanta can totally support an NHL team as long as there is a decent ownership group.

I wish nothing but the worst for the Atlanta Spirit Group. I hope their holidays are terrible, their flights get cancelled, their presents from Amazon get lost in the mail, their tree is infected with termites, and the eggnog is spoiled. GTH.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Oh man, that picture of the Thrashers playoff game makes me smile and cry at the same time. I was sitting right behind this camera's perspective. That was a fun time, and the crowd was awesome. Atlanta can totally support an NHL team as long as there is a decent ownership group.

I wish nothing but the worst for the Atlanta Spirit Group. I hope their holidays are terrible, their flights get cancelled, their presents from Amazon get lost in the mail, their tree is infected with termites, and the eggnog is spoiled. GTH.
POST OF THE YEAR!!! I was sitting in row G behind Hedberg when the flukey goal bounces off the boards and went in the net. That building has never been louder than Game 1, even louder than the next year when the Hawks got to their first playoff game in a decade.

Here's what I want for the ASG:

Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
It's definitely a huge win that the stadium will meet FIFA standards, and that they'll consider an MLS team. (Seriously, couldn't Blank have mentioned some of this stuff in past articles and manage public perception a bit?)

Re: College Football, Atlanta has been shortlisted to be a semifinal location on a rotating basis (as I've argued that it most certainly should, given the proximity of fanbases and the high costs of travel to neutral fields). Finals, probably not so much. But the Dome is considered perfectly acceptable for CFB purposes so it's kind of irrelevant imo.

Blank optimistic about new stadium, seeks architects - Atlanta Business Chronicle

The fact that he says he's hiring top architects in the world is I guess a good sign too. I really want some amazing bang for the ($300 million) buck(s).
I heard the name Calatrava tossed around. Maybe he'll stay in town a little longer to design that new Symphony Hall too

Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
POST OF THE YEAR!!! I was sitting in row G behind Hedberg when the flukey goal bounces off the boards and went in the net. That building has never been louder than Game 1, even louder than the next year when the Hawks got to their first playoff game in a decade.

Here's what I want for the ASG:
Spot on my friend. That bounce was terrible. Honestly, that epitomized the luck o' the Thrashers. Anybody that thinks hockey will not be successful in Atlanta has not been to a good game. There was a lot of passion behind that team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta