Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think most people tend to think in terms of subdivisions, cities, and other area definitions, not counties.
Since when?!

Forsyth is the wealthiest county in Georgia. Fayette is No. 2. Both subsequently have the lowest F&D lunch rates in Metro Atlanta. What part of that is hard to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Since when?!

Forsyth is the wealthiest county in Georgia. Fayette is No. 2. Both subsequently have the lowest F&D lunch rates in Metro Atlanta. What part of that is hard to understand?
Neither county is on my radar. *shrug* What you say is easy to understand, in terms of schools and lunches, but for the most part I think of smaller geographic locations around the metro when I think of areas with money in the general case. Buckhead, or East Cobb, or maybe John's Creek. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

What about that is difficult for you? Your apparent hostility makes no sense.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
o
Quote:
Yes, it is. Forsyth is No. 1 and Fayette is No. 2, having switched places since the 2000 Census. Thought this was common knowledge in the metro area?

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, I stand corrected.

No offense to anybody in Forsyth because it is certainly very, very nice but it doesn't "feel" wealthy to me -- more like solidly middle/upper middle class. I know that's subjective and I apologize again if I'm wrong.

Maybe the average income is high because there aren't many poor areas?

In any event, I would not be at all surprised to see Forsyth go the way of Cobb, Gwinnett and Henry. They all started out as prosperous enclaves but over time they apparently attracted a lot of lower income residents as well. (That is, if you can tell anything from the free lunch statistics).

Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Neither county is on my radar. *shrug* What you say is easy to understand, in terms of schools and lunches, but for the most part I think of smaller geographic locations around the metro when I think of areas with money in the general case. Buckhead, or East Cobb, or maybe John's Creek. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

What about that is difficult for you? Your apparent hostility makes no sense.
Where is the hostility? This thread is about Gwinnett COUNTY and whether it is going the way of other COUNTIES. It is not about subdivisions or neighborhoods or zip codes. This forum is dominated by discussions about COUNTIES. Perhaps you don't acknowledge that Metro Atlanta is a complex region made up of 28 counties, but most everybody else on this forum does -- and it enters into nearly every topic! What about that is difficult for you?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Ironically enough, a front-page article in today's AJC headlined "Asians gaining economic foothold" is all about the rapid influx of Asian families into multi-million dollar homes inside gated communities in South Forsyth. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be an online version of the story but there is a photo gallery:

Atlanta Forward: Asians gain economic foothold in metro Atlanta | www.ajc.com

Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
Ironically enough, a front-page article in today's AJC headlined "Asians gaining economic foothold" is all about the rapid influx of Asian families into multi-million dollar homes inside gated communities in South Forsyth. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be an online version of the story but there is a photo gallery:

Atlanta Forward: Asians gain economic foothold in metro Atlanta | www.ajc.com
Spearheaded by our own local Asian superstar, Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN !

Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 AM

492 posts, read 791,050 times
I wonder how folks expect to have grocery stores, fast food, clothing stores, gas stations, hair salons, barber shops etc in thier areas without poor people living there. Do you expect them to live in completely separate corner of town 40 min away and commute to the low wage service job of bagging your groceries and cutting your damn hair?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Poor people live in all areas of the state...no matter if the county is the richest or the poorest. What matters is if the percentage of poor people that makes a county affluent or not.

And many of the people who work those low wage jobs tend to be young, some in their teens and some in their 20s.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Where is the hostility? This thread is about Gwinnett COUNTY and whether it is going the way of other COUNTIES. It is not about subdivisions or neighborhoods or zip codes. This forum is dominated by discussions about COUNTIES. Perhaps you don't acknowledge that Metro Atlanta is a complex region made up of 28 counties, but most everybody else on this forum does -- and it enters into nearly every topic! What about that is difficult for you?
Where is the hostility? See above.

Since you've obviously lost the context, I'll help you out. If you recall, you asked the following question:

"Yes, it is. Forsyth is No. 1 and Fayette is No. 2, having switched places since the 2000 Census. Thought this was common knowledge in the metro area?"

I provided one reason why that fact might not be common knowledge. Many people don't generally think in terms of counties when thinking of wealthy areas. I, for example, might have thought the wealthiest areas were neighborhoods in Buckhead or something, and I had no clue about counties on the metro periphery. They aren't on my radar.

You obviously don't like that answer. If you have a problem with it, perhaps you need to ask a different question?

Reading comprehension. It isn't rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta