U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,482,154 times

Advertisements

Gwinnett sees increase in students qualifying for free or... | www.ajc.com

This is never a good sign. Especially with how quickly it has increased.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM

16,213 posts, read 9,453,868 times
The job market has been poor and people are not making as much money as they used to. I don't understand the not being "in" thing. Do you mean that it is becoming a poor ghetto hood or something?

And I'm sure that it also has to do with a lot of lower income people moving to Gwinnet county due to its reputation for having good schools and poorer people also want their kids to get a good education so that those kids will have more opportunities to go to good colleges and score well on standardized test.

Really don't understand the concern.

Also wanted to note I find it ironic that this was posted when I was actually just looking at a school website for one I am considering moving my son to in the Chicago area. They were boasting that 98% of their kids received free/reduced lunch and that 100% of their 8th graders were accepted into selective enrollment high schools and some of the top prep boarding schools in the country. So income does not necessarily equate with lower academic achievement.

ETA: Also, 98% of the children at that school were black, 2% hispanic since I know for some that makes a difference. Poor people like for their kids to go to good schools and school districts as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM

492 posts, read 682,359 times
You guys didn't know that poor people ruin everything? Who want to deal with apartment kids?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM

846 posts, read 1,286,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
You guys didn't know that poor people ruin everything? Who want to deal with apartment kids?
All "apartment kids" are not on free or reduced lunch. Hell, most people in apartments these days may not even be "poor" or close to it.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 11,995,389 times
I don't think you can make a blanket statement about an entire county based on statistics like this.

I would think that if anything, Gwinnett will start to look more like Fulton county, where the wealth accumulates in one or two particular areas and leaves other areas in rough shape. Everyone knows that North Fulton and the Atlanta parts of Fulton are the best places to be. So maybe in the future everyone will know that West Gwinnett and maybe a few other parts of the county are the best places to live.

People have an ability to adjust to this sort of thing. They will convene in a good location, splinter off and create city school districts for incorporated areas (I'm sure it's very difficult but like anything else can be done if the will is there), and so on. I don't foresee the downfall of the entire county like you have seen in Clayton. Of course, there probably are a few decent parts of even Clayton county that the people who live down there know about.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM

31,048 posts, read 30,398,082 times
Gwinnett is in fat city as far as low income students. They're still in the lower echelon.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM

13,708 posts, read 19,291,805 times
Free and reduced lunch is one of the biggest entitlement scams going in America today. There is ZERO acountability at any level of the process -- because the law "protects" the identities of those who apply -- AND ONLY REQUIRES THAT 3 PERCENT OF APPLICATIONS BE VERIFIED! This means that ANY family -- from the richest to the poorest -- has a 97 percent chance of at least receiving reduced price lunch by simply filling out the paperwork! You'd be a fool not to see the obvious rampant abuse of this program.

The rise in F&R lunch rates always ALWAYS mirrrors an increase in minority enrollment -- even in places like Fayette and Forsyth counties where minority families have the SAME INCOME LEVELS (or higher) AS WHITES and the Census reports poverty almost nonexistent! Obviously, receiving F&D lunch is a CULTURAL thing that certain groups have learned to take advantage of because they know they won't be denied. In the black community, even among well-to-do blacks, it's viewed as an automatic entitlement.

Perhaps the worst flaw in the whole mess: F&D lunch rates are the primary measure by which the federal government declares individual schools and communities as "impoverished" (and thus eligible for additional funding through Title One programs and the like). Is it any wonder then why counties like Gwinnett don't get too upset about rising F&D rates? It means more revenue!!!!!

The whole system is whack. And this quite is laughable:

“We know that for many of our students, the meals they receive at school may be the only meal they eat during the day,” Roach said.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 5,535,755 times
For those of us who don't follow these numbers its shocking how high they are. Even the so called top areas like Cobb have 4 out of 10 students on free or reduced lunches.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM

13,708 posts, read 19,291,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
For those of us who don't follow these numbers its shocking how high they are. Even the so called top areas like Cobb have 4 out of 10 students on free or reduced lunches.
MY POINT EXACTLY! Forty percent of Cobb families are poor?! ROTFL! Folks, read this for what it is ... SCAM!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 11,995,389 times
Thanks for pointing that out, Newsboy! I also looked at the number and said no way 76% of the kids in Atlanta are below the poverty line, or more than half in Gwinnett county.

If people ar that poor anywhere, it is in the rural counties. And looking at the data, more urban/suburban counties have higher percentages of this. That means that these folks have figured out how to work the system.

As I was was looking at it, I was wondering how they figure out who gets a free lunch. It seems like an odd entitlement to me. I mean, I'd be more comfortable with us just saying you know what, everybody gets a free lunch just like everybody gets free textbooks.

And how does free breakfast work? I remember the bus dropping us off at school and we go to class and then class starts. Is there like a special early free breakfast bus that picks kids up extra early so they can go eat before class starts? So does that mean buses run twice, once to get the free breakfast kids, then again later to get the other kids? What if you don't get free breakfast but your parents are too lazy to make it for you? Are you allowed to go and purchase breakfast? And what is the free breakfast? Couldn't we just buy a huge industrial sized tub of oatmeal and give that to kids at a cost of about 2 cents per kid? Why not just let everybody have it, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta