Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times

Advertisements

Fear of suburban move could boost Falcons stadium deal

Keep pro sports downtown where they belong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Pro sports belong downtown.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Pro sports belong downtown.
Why so? Pro sports stadiums in Atlanta have tended to be a blight on already fragile neighborhoods. The community gets nothing but the back door and huge expanses of asphalt and concrete.

Why not locate the stadium at some place like Doraville? It would be closer to the fans and have plenty of room for parking. It would also have excellent access to the freeways and MARTA.

I honestly don't see any basis for the the assertion that pro sports "belong" downtown.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
I say that we should keep it downtown because Mayor Reed has already prostituted himself for the conservative legislature & the business community enough as is.

So he should at least get some kind of "win" for all of that stepnfetchin' during this whole crooked process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why so? Pro sports stadiums in Atlanta have tended to be a blight on already fragile neighborhoods. The community gets nothing but the back door and huge expanses of asphalt and concrete.

Why not locate the stadium at some place like Doraville? It would be closer to the fans and have plenty of room for parking. It would also have excellent access to the freeways and MARTA.

I honestly don't see any basis for the the assertion that pro sports "belong" downtown.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Most cities have at least one of their sports facilities either in their downtown area or somewhere that is in the city itself. It usually takes something extreme or a general lack of space for a team to move out of that city's downtown area to the 'burbs.

The old GM plant in Doraville was ruled out quite some time ago, so I'm not even sure why it is still used as a potential location in arguments. In terms of other Atlanta suburbs, aside from not having transit available you will also run into the NIMBY folks. I can't say that I could blame them since most people probably purchased their homes without the thought of a new stadium being built near their subdivision.

The traffic issues would also keep a stadium out of the 'burbs. Several months ago, there were traffic nightmares when a church in Gwinnett gave out food at Coolray Field in Lawrenceville. If traffic was atrocious with a food giveaway, then imagine trying to get over 70,000 fans to a stadium using some of the same highways and byways. If anything, Downtown works mainly because there will always be at least some fans who go to see the Falcons at the Dome or the Hawks at Philips via MARTA. If you've ever been to a Falcon game, then you've see the crowds coming in and out of the train stations. If you move to the suburbs, the vehicle traffic that you already see at the Dome will multiply exponentially.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I can't imagine what suburb would want a football stadium in it.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I say that we should keep it downtown because Mayor Reed has already prostituted himself for the conservative legislature & the business community enough as is.

So he should at least get some kind of "win" for all of that stepnfetchin' during this whole crooked process...
Mayor Reed was known to be pro business before the election. I know I would not have donated or voted for him if he was not pro business.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
I believe this is called "extortion" ...

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I read this .... and thought wow if our State house/senate see this, and go, wow he'll pay for the whole thing himself we dont need to give $300M to him. We can use that for my pet pork project.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Most cities have at least one of their sports facilities either in their downtown area or somewhere that is in the city itself. It usually takes something extreme or a general lack of space for a team to move out of that city's downtown area to the 'burbs.
Well, what about Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Miami, etc.? Don't a lot of cities have their football stadiums in the suburbs?

Another thing I have wondered about is why we haven't sold naming rights. Isn't that very common these days? That might bring in enough money to get the taxpayer off the hook for $300 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta