Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a huge problem and the situation you mention is a perfect example of it. Counting on people to exercise personal responsibility with guns is mighty risky business.

According to the CDC there were 335,609 deaths from firearms during the past decade. And there were another 755,959 non-fatal injuries from firearms during the same period.
How many of those involve police or other LEOs performing their duties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM

454 posts, read 821,216 times
Just went to my local Krogers and there must be ten different gun magazines in there on the shelfs have of which have assult style weapons on the cover and other provocative images. More gun mags than news mags or car mags! We have a serious problem with glamourising guns IMHO.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM

465 posts, read 528,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Yes its 2012 now not 1712 and not much chance of us being oinvaded by Canada

Its very true a majority of guns used in Mexico are smuggled in from AZ likewise guns used in crimes in NYC.

Just by tightening gun laws in AZ you could lower the gunshot death rate in the US and Mexico. Yet still all you hear from the lunatics in AZ is BS about their individual freedoms. Selfish to the extreme.
And I'm sure guns will magically start disappearing from Mexico and the criminals will give up. Because that's what criminals do right?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 10,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
What the shooter had was similar to the M-16 which is an ASSAULT rifle. I dont care whether its semi-automatic or automatic, the M-16 can pump out upto 60 rounds per minute which is deadly enough for school kids whether you agree or not.

With some people its never the guns fault...its always something else. Mental health, video games, bad parenting, etc etc. But its never the guns. The guns are untouchable. No matter that eons ago when the chinese invented gun power and guns it was for the sole purpose of killing people.

Semi-automatic can not pump out up to 60 rounds per minute. And the guns do not decide to shoot someone on their own. A PERSON pulled the trigger. What ever happened to being responsible for your own actions? I was raised in a house with fully loaded guns in various places in the house and I was taught NOT TO TOUCH THEM!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyelf View Post
Semi-automatic can not pump out up to 60 rounds per minute. And the guns do not decide to shoot someone on their own. A PERSON pulled the trigger. What ever happened to being responsible for your own actions? I was raised in a house with fully loaded guns in various places in the house and I was taught NOT TO TOUCH THEM!
You are one person...not everyone is like you. Sometimes people that aren't responsible for their own actions can get their hands on an assault rifle and we all have seen the results. It's really time to stop with the silliness and take a stand on this issue if we want to save lives - that's the issue now, not whether you have the right to own one.

When someone comes up with an actual valid reason for owning an assault weapon please let me know...and killing hogs is not valid.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
I hope you all know all these threats of banning guns do is convince people that were on the fence about buying one to go out and buy one or more due to the threat of a ban. Every time these rumors start swirling guns and ammo start flying off the shelf. I went to buy ammo today and they had nearly cleared out the store. But little do you know, that's the whole point of all of these gun ban rumors to begin with.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
When someone comes up with an actual valid reason for owning an assault weapon please let me know...and killing hogs is not valid.
I still think zombies should be reason enough.

More seriously ... the only people I personally know who own assault weapons are all former military, and I have no issue with them collecting weapons that they were formally trained for in the service of our country.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 PM

91 posts, read 297,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Stoping Statists and Fascists from abusing and murdering me and my fellow man. Gun rights are not about hunting they are all about stopping the government.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States." Noah Webster

Sad to see so many Fascists in this thread.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Let me get this straight - u think ur going to stop the GOVERNMENT by FORCE (i.e., use of gunfire)? U know the governmt has whole armies and FBI and CIA, right? I propose that u r no match, right? what do u think u r going to be able to stop/control/change as relates to government in 2013 (not 1713) with a GUN???????

For all of these ppl quoting the Constitution and all of these old quotes and ppl and ideas from the 1700s and 1800s, pls know that the law and the principles that guide it is a constantly moving target that is shaped by the latest case law (court ruling) on the matter. U can't just take the 2nd amendment, read it in isolation and decide u know what it means in all kinds of situations. The Constitution is written in broad strokes (that was intentional). Then, it is further elucidated by case law. To really know what gun rights exists, etc, u don't look at the Constitutional in isolation but, rather, the Const and then the recent cases in ur state/area, etc.

U don't interpret the law, judges do. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onni View Post
Stoping Statists and Fascists from abusing and murdering me and my fellow man. Gun rights are not about hunting they are all about stopping the government.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States." Noah Webster

Sad to see so many Fascists in this thread.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Let me get this straight - u think ur going to stop the GOVERNMENT by FORCE (i.e., use of gunfire)? U know the governmt has whole armies and FBI and CIA, right? I propose that u r no match, right? what do u think u r going to be able to stop/control/change as relates to government in 2013 (not 1713) with a GUN???????

For all of these ppl quoting the Constitution and all of these old quotes and ppl and ideas from the 1700s and 1800s, pls know that the law and the principles that guide it is a constantly moving target that is shaped by the latest case law (court ruling) on the matter. U can't just take the 2nd amendment, read it in isolation and decide u know what it means in all kinds of situations. The Constitution is written in broad strokes (that was intentional). Then, it is further elucidated by case law. To really know what gun rights exists, etc, u don't look at the Constitutional in isolation but, rather, the Const and then the recent cases in ur state/area, etc.

U don't interpret the law, judges do. Get it?
Your logic is flawed in many ways but ill just point out one. What do you think the odds of those FBI, CIA and even military members turning guns on their on own friends and family in the US because they were told to do so? And that's not the point here anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta