Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times

Advertisements

I agree.

In my honestly lowbrow opinion, I'd say it really started dying around the end of the 90's decade. The 1996 Telecommunications Act that pretty much lifted the ownership cap got into full swing and radio seemed to start changing 2 or 3 years afterwards.

Media survey ratings companies like Arbitron and Nielsen were given way too much power and sway over programming even before the 1996 Telecom Act. And the result was that for Corporate radio once they had largely completed consolidation, they could afford to ignore entire market segments if those segments were perceived to be not as numerous or profitable as others.

And Arbitron and Nielsen with their archaic and not very comprehensive population sampling techniques have certainly made sure to kill the educated black male segment as a potential profitable market.

So for Frank Ski(and Wanda) in the Morning, it meant that young black men who had at least a high school diploma as a market could be ignored entirely. At least that's how I see it.

And now terrestrial radio is mostly garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's radio. Didn't that medium die in the 90's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I actually like Frank Ski. He talked about some pretty heady stuff.

But I always felt like he had to really dumb it down a good bit for the audience. And when Wanda was brought in, that's when I for the most part tuned out. At that point Frank and Wanda really just became a show primarily for black females in their 30s and older and baby boomers in my opinion.

Not that I'm trying to be chauvinistic, but all I pretty much expected was a show heavy on issues about light skin/dark skin, good hair/bad hair, dating, reality show gossip, TMZ/Entertainment Tonight-type of crap, and not much more. And that's what Frank Ski and Wanda in the Morning became. Tragic.

Stuff like that is a rot on my brain cells.

And Ryan Cameron? Lord almighty. He is just one lame running joke after another. I never expect anything intelligent and topical to come out of his mouth, and I don't expect things to change if/when he sits in the big seat in the morning come January.

There is simply no programming out there in terrestrial radio that caters to college-educated black men. But other than that, I will miss Frank Ski.
As a college-educated Black man, I can agree that there really isn't anything gear towards us. However, I doubt that we are a key demographic. Most of the college-educated Black men that I know either listen to CDs/mp3 or satellite during their morning commutes. I typically either listen to mp3s or flip between Steve Harvey and Tom Joyner. Overall, although I listen to a lot of "old school" music (60's, 70's, and 80's), people like me are kind of in a "no man's land" in terms of morning shows. I feel like I am too old for the sophmoric crap that Rickey Smiley does, but I also find Tom Joyner to be lame at times. Steve Harvey is only slightly better than Tom Joyner, but that is mainly because his crew is slightly more entertaining that Joyner's crew.

Frank and Wanda's show ended up being a weird mixture of 30-and-over female topics and 25-and-under music. One of the reason swhy I can tolerate Harvey and Joyner is because they actually play some good stuff in between their drivel. On the other hand, Frank will either talk about himself or some dumb crap that doesn't apply to me. After hearing that, you then end up being treated to a song that only your much younger cousins would enjoy. Ryan Cameron is not great either, but he has always been more tolerable than Frank Ski in my opinion.

All in all, I think that V-103 made a wise decision in allowing Frank Ski and Wanda Smith to move on. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think that Frank Ski has the chops to have a strong national audience if he does end up being syndicated.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I agree.

In my honestly lowbrow opinion, I'd say it really started dying around the end of the 90's decade. The 1996 Telecommunications Act that pretty much lifted the ownership cap got into full swing and radio seemed to start changing 2 or 3 years afterwards.

Media survey ratings companies like Arbitron and Nielsen were given way too much power and sway over programming even before the 1996 Telecom Act. And the result was that for Corporate radio once they had largely completed consolidation, they could afford to ignore entire market segments if those segments were perceived to be not as numerous or profitable as others.

And Arbitron and Nielsen with their archaic and not very comprehensive population sampling techniques have certainly made sure to kill the educated black male segment as a potential profitable market.

So for Frank Ski(and Wanda) in the Morning, it meant that young black men who had at least a high school diploma as a market could be ignored entirely. At least that's how I see it.

And now terrestrial radio is mostly garbage.
Believe it or not, I actually received an Arbitron ratings survey back when I lived in Los Angeles. That was way back in 1995, so that was obviously before the 1996 Telecommunications Act. I don't recall knowing anyone personally who have participated in the Arbitron ratings since then.

I know that I have already responded to you on another post, but I do have a couple of questions about this one. For starters, I am not sure why the assumption is made that a Black man with at least a high school diploma (or a college degree based on your other post) would really seek morning shows other than what is available. As I stated in my other post, a good majority of the college-educated Black men don't really even listen to the radio on the way to work. Those that do simply choose between what is available. At the same time, outside of the usual ones there is also 102.5 if you are into Gospel and Jazz 91.9 if you just want mostly music in the morning.

One thing that didn't last long was back when one of the stations (I believe it was 97.1 before it became The River or 102.5 when it first switched to R&B) didn't have any deejays. That meant you got straight-up music aside from a few commercials here and there. That was what I enjoyed the most since I didn't have to deal with a "morning show" altogether. Naturally, we probably won't see that again in this market.

I guess the other question would be how one would even format a morning show that has "college-educated Black men" as one of its target demographics. Aside from the fact that college-educated Black men are not monolithic in tastes and desires, I also can't think of a current morning show host out there that could do the show without also having to rely heavily on educated and non-educated women to stay on the air.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Believe it or not, I actually received an Arbitron ratings survey back when I lived in Los Angeles. That was way back in 1995, so that was obviously before the 1996 Telecommunications Act. I don't recall knowing anyone personally who have participated in the Arbitron ratings since then.
Then you are a lucky person indeed.

I have never seen an Arbitron ratings survey or a Nielsen survey in my whole life. My parents have never seen or received a survey. My 1st cousins, 2nd cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents on both sides of my family have never seen these surveys, and believe me when I tell you, I have a huge family. My friends and co-workers have never seen them either; because if they did?

They would be talking about it the whole day.

This "advertisement drives the programming" excuse is nothing more than a big scam. American Corporate media to me is nothing more than a gigantic indoctrination mind-control program, which encourages if not force people to abide by a certain thought process. And these so-called marketing survey companies are in on the scam.

Until someone proves to me otherwise, that's simply my belief and I am sticking to it.

Quote:
I know that I have already responded to you on another post, but I do have a couple of questions about this one. For starters, I am not sure why the assumption is made that a Black man with at least a high school diploma (or a college degree based on your other post) would really seek morning shows other than what is available. As I stated in my other post, a good majority of the college-educated Black men don't really even listen to the radio on the way to work. Those that do simply choose between what is available. At the same time, outside of the usual ones there is also 102.5 if you are into Gospel and Jazz 91.9 if you just want mostly music in the morning.
Since these Media survey marketing firms won't make any meaningful attempt to find out, we really wouldn't know one way or another. And you may have your beliefs about what college educated black men would or would not listen to.

But I have my own, which apparently does not align with your thought process. And I suspect that if there was something for my market segment to listen to in the morning on the way to work, then we would tune in.

I tune in to shows like Corey Holcomb and The Young Turks on the internet because they provide the type of information I desire, but in a refreshingly honest and entertaining delivery method that quite simply, I will never find anywhere else.

Quote:
One thing that didn't last long was back when one of the stations (I believe it was 97.1 before it became The River or 102.5 when it first switched to R&B) didn't have any deejays. That meant you got straight-up music aside from a few commercials here and there. That was what I enjoyed the most since I didn't have to deal with a "morning show" altogether. Naturally, we probably won't see that again in this market.

I guess the other question would be how one would even format a morning show that has "college-educated Black men" as one of its target demographics. Aside from the fact that college-educated Black men are not monolithic in tastes and desires, I also can't think of a current morning show host out there that could do the show without also having to rely heavily on educated and non-educated women to stay on the air.
Like I said before, since no media surveying company is really even trying to capture a full picture of America's desires for media consumption then we wouldn't know one way or another, will we?

Aside from that, I'm not trying to suggest that mainstream terrestrial radio have a program for just the college-educated black male and that's it. That would be an unreasonable standard and would mean an instant death for that program.

But what I am saying is that with all of these generalized radio programs on urban radio stations like V103 and Hot107.9, I would think that there could at least be a little bit of something for the high school to college educated black male in one of the shows.

And yet, I don't even see that much.

I don't see people of my generation who share my background anywhere in any meaningful sense in either the mainstream radio stations or on television. But I certainly see a lot of shows that try to undercut men that look like myself at every opportunity.

And what's even more intellectually dishonest and morally bankrupt is that these shows won't even allow men of my generation who look like me a voice; or even a fair chance and ability to fight back. And that blows big time.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-19-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
As a college-educated Black man, I can agree that there really isn't anything gear towards us. However, I doubt that we are a key demographic. Most of the college-educated Black men that I know either listen to CDs/mp3 or satellite during their morning commutes. I typically either listen to mp3s or flip between Steve Harvey and Tom Joyner. Overall, although I listen to a lot of "old school" music (60's, 70's, and 80's), people like me are kind of in a "no man's land" in terms of morning shows. I feel like I am too old for the sophmoric crap that Rickey Smiley does, but I also find Tom Joyner to be lame at times. Steve Harvey is only slightly better than Tom Joyner, but that is mainly because his crew is slightly more entertaining that Joyner's crew.
I can't stomach Steve Harvey or Tom Joyner.

They cater to bitter women and mentally whipped old babyboom blackmen who don't want to upset their wives and girlfriends. Their shows cater to the superficial thought process and they never really get deep into a controversial topic, nor will they even invite the type of guests who are willing to go hard with a brutal truth on a subject.

They do everything they can not to upset women and yet go out of their way to join in the corporate mainstream media dogpiling when it come to lambasting young black men. I could say more, but you get the gist.

Joyner and Harvey just plain suck.

Quote:
Frank and Wanda's show ended up being a weird mixture of 30-and-over female topics and 25-and-under music. One of the reason swhy I can tolerate Harvey and Joyner is because they actually play some good stuff in between their drivel. On the other hand, Frank will either talk about himself or some dumb crap that doesn't apply to me. After hearing that, you then end up being treated to a song that only your much younger cousins would enjoy. Ryan Cameron is not great either, but he has always been more tolerable than Frank Ski in my opinion.

All in all, I think that V-103 made a wise decision in allowing Frank Ski and Wanda Smith to move on. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think that Frank Ski has the chops to have a strong national audience if he does end up being syndicated.
Ryan Cameron sucks. He is so jokey-jokey it's nauseating. I will never expect any heady subject to come out of his mouth.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I can't stomach Steve Harvey or Tom Joyner.

They cater to bitter women and mentally whipped old babyboom blackmen who don't want to upset their wives and girlfriends. Their shows cater to the superficial thought process and they never really get deep into a controversial topic, nor will they even invite the type of guests who are willing to go hard with a brutal truth on a subject.

They do everything they can not to upset women and yet go out of their way to join in the corporate mainstream media dogpiling when it come to lambasting young black men. I could say more, but you get the gist.

Joyner and Harvey just plain suck.

Ryan Cameron sucks. He is so jokey-jokey it's nauseating. I will never expect any heady subject to come out of his mouth.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Sometimes I can use a joke or two during my long commute to work, but to each his own.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Meh.

I've listened to funnier and substantive radio hosts. Corey Holcomb is one of them. But I realize though that Atlanta's urban radio market just ain't ready for the bigtime.

So just as you suggested, we will unfortunately, have to part ways like gentleman on this convo.

Peace.

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Sometimes I can use a joke or two during my long commute to work, but to each his own.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-20-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,705 times
At least on Steve Harvey I get some good music. As well as the occasional laughs.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM

54 posts, read 61,914 times
Quote:
Then you are a lucky person indeed.

I have never seen an Arbitron ratings survey or a Nielsen survey in my whole life. My parents have never seen or received a survey. My 1st cousins, 2nd cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents on both sides of my family have never seen these surveys, and believe me when I tell you, I have a huge family. My friends and co-workers have never seen them either; because if they did?

They would be talking about it the whole day.

This "advertisement drives the programming" excuse is nothing more than a big scam. American Corporate media to me is nothing more than a gigantic indoctrination mind-control program, which encourages if not force people to abide by a certain thought process. And these so-called marketing survey companies are in on the scam.

Until someone proves to me otherwise, that's simply my belief and I am sticking to it.

Since these Media survey marketing firms won't make any meaningful attempt to find out, we really wouldn't know one way or another. And you may have your beliefs about what college educated black men would or would not listen to.

But I have my own, which apparently does not align with your thought process. And I suspect that if there was something for my market segment to listen to in the morning on the way to work, then we would tune in.

I tune in to shows like Corey Holcomb and The Young Turks on the internet because they provide the type of information I desire, but in a refreshingly honest and entertaining delivery method that quite simply, I will never find anywhere else.

Like I said before, since no media surveying company is really even trying to capture a full picture of America's desires for media consumption then we wouldn't know one way or another, will we?

Aside from that, I'm not trying to suggest that mainstream terrestrial radio have a program for just the college-educated black male and that's it. That would be an unreasonable standard and would mean an instant death for that program.

But what I am saying is that with all of these generalized radio programs on urban radio stations like V103 and Hot107.9, I would think that there could at least be a little bit of something for the high school to college educated black male in one of the shows.

And yet, I don't even see that much.

I don't see people of my generation who share my background anywhere in any meaningful sense in either the mainstream radio stations or on television. But I certainly see a lot of shows that try to undercut men that look like myself at every opportunity.

And what's even more intellectually dishonest and morally bankrupt is that these shows won't even allow men of my generation who look like me a voice; or even a fair chance and ability to fight back. And that blows big time.
Impressive....Most Impressive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta