Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,081,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Wow. You would rather have a football field than multimillion dollar research facilities.

GRU doesn't need football. They need smarts. American colleges are becoming a joke.
Let's not get carried away with research facilities. It is not a bottomless pit of research dollars out there to fund all these new facilities.

Football might work in Augusta as it doesn't have any competing sports teams. Augusta has a large population with no sports diversions to speak of other than the Masters. Or do they have any minor league teams? Even so, college football would seem more legit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,081,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I have to agree with you some what, GRU starting a football team at this level is asinine. If GRU should build on athletics, they should start with it's strengths, which are basketball, golf and I believe baseball. If they can find success at the division I level then and only then should the idea of football arise. ASU already has a national championship golf team so those other sports should be next. I would personally like to see GRU break into the track and field and soccer world first. As for GSU, GA Southern and KSU, I personally can not speak on them, because I have not studied their athletic programs.

Another factor that might push GRU to start a football team is the creation of a team by cross town rival Paine College.
If schools take the, "let's focus on the sports we have first", approach. Football will never come. There's never a point where a school will say..."ok, our sports success is leading us to logically start football". Augusta is a city with no major competing sports diversions other than the Masters. Augusta is a mid-sized city so I would say to them about football, "Go for it".

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,007,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Let's not get carried away with research facilities. It is not a bottomless pit of research dollars out there to fund all these new facilities.

Football might work in Augusta as it doesn't have any competing sports teams. Augusta has a large population with no sports diversions to speak of other than the Masters. Or do they have any minor league teams? Even so, college football would seem more legit.
Baseball and hockey are the only consistent sports in town over the last few decades. We had arena football and basketball teams, but they come and go.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM

492 posts, read 785,951 times
Why do they needs sports? All it does is raise tuition and does nothing for academics.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,007,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Why do they needs sports? All it does is raise tuition and does nothing for academics.
They already have many sports, and the only big one left is football...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM

472 posts, read 805,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
If they can make it to a reasonably sized conference, that may spur academic and research partnerships along with increased alumni giving. The football money could also be used to support the campus life and academic life. Football also results in branding for the university and gives the students a sense of community and tradition.

All that, and then, it's simply fun.

However, in this case I would agree with what ChefRamsey said in the sense that we should focus on the academic endeavors first. GRU is not UCSF.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,652,180 times
It is now politically incorrect for me to reger to GRU as MCG or GHSU.

Regents give final OK to merge Georgia colleges | www.ajc.com

LOL JK politically incorrect. That's a play on words.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
It is now politically incorrect for me to reger to GRU as MCG or GHSU.

Regents give final OK to merge Georgia colleges | www.ajc.com

LOL JK politically incorrect. That's a play on words.
GRU | UGA Medical Partnership

Well, that was an awfully quick change in name.

UGA College of Medicine and/or UGA-Augusta, coming to a future near you.

The individual GHSU site still haven't updated.
GHSU | Georgia Health Sciences University

Interestingly enough, the BOR has decided to set aside planning monies for furthering along the Athens Regional and St. Mary's teaching facilities. The new residency and rotation spots will be used by other med schools in Georgia as well. Good news for Morehouse. They've been looking to expand out of the cramped and hectic Grady hospital. Mercer and Emory too. Good news for the underserved in Athens and surrounding areas and med students.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,652,180 times
Merges two entirely different schools..pissing off thousands over a name

Sponsors 10k run

-Troll Azziz meme here-

GRU to sponsor Augusta Half Marathon and 10K | ABC 6 WJBF-TV

Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Merges two entirely different schools..pissing off thousands over a name

Sponsors 10k run

-Troll Azziz meme here-

GRU to sponsor Augusta Half Marathon and 10K | ABC 6 WJBF-TV
I hope they stop with the name changes. MCG, to GHSU and now GRU. Any school sponsoring a 10k run is probably a healthy and appropriate thing. Especially for a health science university like GRU.

T-shirts, events promote GRU brand | Mobile Augusta

They are really pressing for branding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta