Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,654,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
i have to disagree with you there. Gru's undergraduate programs are essentially asu's undergraduate programs. So essentially you're saying that augusta state will be chosen over gsu, gcsu, ksu, ga southern etc. Highly unlikely if even possible.

Asu's campus will still serve asu students. The only new thing is this bs-md program, which many schools have. I highly doubt anyone would choose to live in augusta over college towns or atlanta. There simply isn't enough to do for the students..not professionally, not recreationally, not academically. Asu hasn't built up it's undergrad just yet.

But! What i do think will happen is augusta students who would otherwise go to gsu, ga southern, spsu, ksu etc. Might instead of choose to stay at gru. That number probably won't be significant to the overall system or population. However, it probably will result in some of the brighter students staying at gru(note the avg sat scores). But it's not like all the creme of the crop to the back up schools will suddenly flock to asu simply because they're mildly affiliated with a medical school.

Augusta's growth is phenomenal. Gru is a phenomenal choice for medical and dental students(especially considering the tuition), but not so much for undergrads.

Regarding gt and gsu, georgia tech's growth has been pretty steady over the past two decades. I mean, this is georgia tech we're talking about. They have the engineered-biosystems building, the carbon-neutral energy solutions laboratory, the new tennis complex, the clough study commons etc.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that gt would churn out top level discoveries if partnered with gru. The school is, quite literally, a gold mine for stem research. As for gsu, the center of behavioral neuroscience is based in atlanta. This essentially led to the formation of gsu's neuroscience institute. Then we have the new science building that will be coming up right next to the park place science center. Apart from this, gsu has mostly focused on it's housing. We have the two hotels converted into a new residence hall, and we have the old ramada inn which will be converted into a new housing place as well. They will also be acquiring a small facility near the gsu commons to serve as an administrative building, as an effort to expand north.

So let's hypothetically say that gru starts a "georgia medical research partnership" in-conjunction with all of our research universities. Uga will get it's own medical school, but after that gru could create a medical research only facility inconjunction with all other research universities as well as mercer and emory. Medical research would include biotechnologies and bioengineering(gt) to agricultural, biological, ecological and environmental health science(uga) to neurobiology research(emory, emory's yerkes and gsu) to pharmacology and pharmaceutical science inventions(mercer, gsu and uga)

it sounds absolutely incredible doesn't it? Atlanta is the perfect place for this. The only caveat is the almighty dollar, or lack of, and the fact that no school has any incentive to do such a thing. Also, the fact that the usg doesn't like having standalone research institutions. The skidaway institute of oceanography was the last one. They were merged quietly with uga's marine extension institute along with the rest of the university mergers.

I do, however, think gru should open up an atlanta campus. Uga will take it's medical school to high places. However, that move will leave gru where it was in 2005. Mercer did it, gru should as well. I really hope gt pushes for a medical partnership with gru though.
YES TO ALL!!! I think using GRU as a medical research powerhouse is a phenomenal idea. Think of what it would do to Atlanta and metro atlanta..the jobs...the businesses...the start ups..the reputation and prestige + for GA schools..the research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,099,932 times
Quote:
I know this will raise some question marks, but I would like to see a GRU-GT medical partnership that focuses on biotechnology, biomedical and biomolecular engineering, as well as genetic counseling and gene therapy. Maybe not a spinoff medical school, as Atlanta already has so many fighting for internships/externships/residencies/rotations..but a research partnership would sit well for the entire state. GSU, UGA and Emory could also get in on the research. Much like how UGA, Emory, CDC and GT are collaborating on malaria research.

Especially since Georgia wants to strengthen it's foothold in medical technologies. I think it would be a truly phenomenal thing.

Or maybe UGA could jump on that train. Someone should do it.
Georgia Tech and Emory already have a medical/engineering partnership. The State of Georgia closed its Mental Health Institute near Emory, and GT and Emory do research there and the schools offer dual degree programs so you can get a degree from GT and Emory at the same time. There's even a shuttle between the schools.

GT considered having a med school about 20 years ago but it was decided that an Emory/GT program was the better option. I agree with that. Let the schools work together each contributing its greatest strength.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM

472 posts, read 806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Georgia Tech and Emory already have a medical/engineering partnership. The State of Georgia closed its Mental Health Institute near Emory, and GT and Emory do research there and the schools offer dual degree programs so you can get a degree from GT and Emory at the same time. There's even a shuttle between the schools.

GT considered having a med school about 20 years ago but it was decided that an Emory/GT program was the better option. I agree with that. Let the schools work together each contributing its greatest strength.
I know Georgia Tech and Emory have a medical partnership. I've actually done work there. That doesn't mean GRU shouldn't get in on the research partnership. The two share a biomedical engineering partnership. If GRU wants to break into the Atlanta market, spending billions in operating costs and construction is not the way to go. Instead a partnership would be an ideal way to bring GRU's name(no pun intended) into the rest of the state. Neither Georgia State nor Georgia Tech will be getting a medical school per say, but a research partnership would be fantastic for everyone.

The CDC could also get in on the work.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I have to disagree with you there. GRU's undergraduate programs are essentially ASU's undergraduate programs. So essentially you're saying that Augusta State will be chosen over GSU, GCSU, KSU, GA Southern etc. Highly unlikely if even possible.

ASU's campus will still serve ASU students. The only new thing is this BS-MD program, which many schools have. I highly doubt anyone would choose to live in Augusta over college towns or Atlanta. There simply isn't enough to do for the students..not professionally, not recreationally, not academically. ASU hasn't built up it's undergrad just yet.

BUT! What I do think will happen is Augusta students who would otherwise go to GSU, GA Southern, SPSU, KSU etc. might instead of choose to stay at GRU. That number probably won't be significant to the overall system or population. However, it probably will result in some of the brighter students staying at GRU(note the avg SAT scores). But It's not like all the creme of the crop to the back up schools will suddenly flock to ASU simply because they're mildly affiliated with a medical school.

Augusta's growth is phenomenal. GRU is a phenomenal choice for medical and dental students(especially considering the tuition), but not so much for undergrads.

Regarding GT and GSU, Georgia Tech's growth has been pretty steady over the past two decades. I mean, this IS Georgia Tech we're talking about. They have the Engineered-BioSystems Building, the Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory, the new tennis complex, the Clough study commons etc.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that GT would churn out top level discoveries if partnered with GRU. The school is, quite literally, a gold mine for STEM research. As for GSU, the Center of Behavioral Neuroscience is based in Atlanta. This essentially led to the formation of GSU's neuroscience institute. Then we have the new science building that will be coming up right next to the Park Place science center. Apart from this, GSU has mostly focused on it's housing. We have the two hotels converted into a new residence hall, and we have the old Ramada inn which will be converted into a new housing place as well. They will also be acquiring a small facility near the GSU Commons to serve as an administrative building, as an effort to expand north.

So let's hypothetically say that GRU starts a "Georgia Medical Research Partnership" in-conjunction with all of our research universities. UGA will get it's own medical school, but after that GRU could create a medical research only facility inconjunction with all other research universities as well as Mercer and Emory. Medical research would include biotechnologies and bioengineering(GT) to agricultural, biological, ecological and environmental health science(UGA) to neurobiology research(Emory, Emory's Yerkes and GSU) to pharmacology and pharmaceutical science inventions(Mercer, GSU and UGA)

It sounds absolutely incredible doesn't it? Atlanta is the perfect place for this. The only caveat is the almighty dollar, or lack of, and the fact that no school has any incentive to do such a thing. Also, the fact that the USG doesn't like having standalone research institutions. The Skidaway Institute of Oceanography was the last one. They were merged quietly with UGA's marine extension institute along with the rest of the university mergers.

I do, however, think GRU should open up an Atlanta campus. UGA will take it's medical school to high places. However, that move will leave GRU where it was in 2005. Mercer did it, GRU should as well. I really hope GT pushes for a medical partnership with GRU though.
I don't see how throwing in GRU is so huge. Emory is a behemoth in medicine and it already has a partnership with Tech. It wouldn't hurt but I don't think it covers much what isn't done already. There are plans for biotech at the old Fort Mac site but last I've heard, UGA and GHSU weren't really interested as it would be so far away from their campuses. In this day and age, collaborations can easily be done remotely.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't see how throwing in GRU is so huge. Emory is a behemoth in medicine and it already has a partnership with Tech. It wouldn't hurt but I don't think it covers much what isn't done already. There are plans for biotech at the old Fort Mac site but last I've heard, UGA and GHSU weren't really interested as it would be so far away from their campuses. In this day and age, collaborations can easily be done remotely.
If GRU is to expand it's campuses, I think they should start with another partnership. It works well for them. They don't have the budget or funding to go build satellite campuses all around town.

Emory-GT partnership is great, but GRU is a public institution that focuses on research aimed at benefiting Georgians. The point of a public research university is to help conduct research for the state and it's people. Emory's research may overlap, of course, but the research isn't specifically designed for Georgia's benefit. GRU's dental and medical school research is. We want GRU to also move up don't we? Or do we not? Georgia State is a left behind as well. GRU's breaking into Atlanta could enable GSU to also get in on the action. Morehouse and Mercer as well. The CDC, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia Cancer Coalition, Georgia Research Alliance would certainly be interested in having another USG institution get in on the work.

And, of course, it would further fortify Atlanta's position in becoming a hub for healthcare and biotech companies.

What do you propose GRU do to break into the Atlanta?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,904,105 times
Quote:
If GRU is to expand it's campuses, I think they should start with another partnership. It works well for them. They don't have the budget or funding to go build satellite campuses all around town.

Emory-GT partnership is great, but GRU is a public institution that focuses on research aimed at benefiting Georgians. The point of a public research university is to help conduct research for the state and it's people. Emory's research may overlap, of course, but the research isn't specifically designed for Georgia's benefit. GRU's dental and medical school research is. We want GRU to also move up don't we? Or do we not? Georgia State is a left behind as well. GRU's breaking into Atlanta could enable GSU to also get in on the action. Morehouse and Mercer as well. The CDC, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia Cancer Coalition, Georgia Research Alliance would certainly be interested in having another USG institution get in on the work.

And, of course, it would further fortify Atlanta's position in becoming a hub for healthcare and biotech companies.

I think Atlanta is already at that level especially with all those assets you have listed. The only issue is the area has so many people that even with all those institutions, it really is not that recognized as a health care powerhouse. Augusta has a nice concentration of medical care and research. GRU would benefit in my opinion from a collaboration with Georgia State over Tech, let Tech and Emory work together, really no point in fixing what isn't broken and in a way further complicating things. GRU honestly wouldn't do much in terms of pure research that honestly have not already been done, it would help with the doctor and nurse shortage though. Just a thought, UGA has a campus in Savannah, why can't Georgia State or Tech or UGA come to Augusta to do research, just curious, the room and facilities are there?

http://augustachamber.net/community/health.html

Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I don't see GRU as a "game changer". It would cost a lot of money to get GRU into Atlanta and GRU has enough to do to develop in Augusta. We could work with what we already have and GRU can do its work in Augusta. What special research needs does Georgia have that necessitates GRU having an Atlanta campus? I don't see those organizations you mentioned needing GRU to get in on new research. If anything it is GRU that might want to get in on research being done in Atlanta. Better to spend the money intended to get GRU into Atlanta instead on what Atlanta already has. And that GSU flu vaccine research I mentioned earlier was a consortium between GSU, Emory, and two institutions in South Korea. Distant collaboration works.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I think Atlanta is already at that level especially with all those assets you have listed. The only issue is the area has so many people that even with all those institutions, it really is not that recognized as a health care powerhouse. Augusta has a nice concentration of medical care and research. GRU would benefit in my opinion from a collaboration with Georgia State over Tech, let Tech and Emory work together, really no point in fixing what isn't broken and in a way further complicating things. GRU honestly wouldn't do much in terms of pure research that honestly have not already been done, it would help with the doctor and nurse shortage though. Just a thought, UGA has a campus in Savannah, why can't Georgia State or Tech or UGA come to Augusta to do research, just curious, the room and facilities are there?

http://augustachamber.net/community/health.html
Well I'm not suggesting GRU open up another medical school in Atlanta. I don't think doing so would be a good idea. They don't need that. Atlanta doesn't need that. Frankly, it probably won't happen. Our underserved areas are not in metro Atlanta. They're in south and rural Georgia..which is why GRU sends it's students to serve those areas. It's a great experience for the med and dental students, and a good deal for GA residents seeking cheaper care.

What I'm suggesting a strictly research partnership. Georgia State wouldn't really bring much of anything to the table apart from a "me too" slogan. Georgia Tech on the other hand could start something pretty considerable. Something new. A center for biotechnology. Georgia State-GRU could not start something new. As mathman said, an individualistic partnership between those two schools would sort of be a more of an old situation. Maybe after the research partnership has some progress, they can expand into a full-blown medical education campus. Think of it like a stepping stone, sort of like the UGA-GRU Medical Partnership.

UGA doesn't have a 'campus' in Savannah. Georgia Tech does. UGA does work in Savannah. BOR have merged the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography with UGA. UGA currently conducts research and other work at the UGA Marine Extension Service.
MAREX Home

An Augusta based partnership could work, but it's just that nobody really wants to take the time to go down to Augusta and do it. There really isn't any reason to. By the way, there is always minor collaboration between schools. It's not like schools don't collaborate right now. GSU's chem department frequently sends things to UGA's chemists. They all work together. The rivalry is for the football field, not for the science lab.

As I've said many times before, GRU is perfectly fine in terms of expanding it's research image. They do good work there. If we're talking expansion, we should look at what's happening rather than dreaming.

This whole discussion started out by GRU's president's plans to expand GRU over eight regional campuses including Atlanta:

Azziz looks for even bigger statewide consolidated university by 2030 | The Augusta Chronicle

So that's why we're discussing the potential Atlanta campus. Without a doubt, the Augusta campus will continue to grow and expand. I think a next step for the UGA-GRU partnership would be to focus on ecological and environmental health science. That's a strength of UGA. It would be a fresh new facet for GRU to start working in.

We can expect the other eight campuses to be in the major Georgian cities. Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Athens, Valdosta or Albany. Who knows maybe even Sandy Springs or Alpharetta.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM

I'm still waiting for your suggestion mathman. How do you suggest GRU break into Atlanta?

Clearly you don't approve of any of my suggestions.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for your suggestion mathman. How do you suggest GRU break into Atlanta?

Clearly you don't approve of any of my suggestions.
I thought my implications were clear. GRU need not break into Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta