Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,699 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to stone mountain's industrial park area and I hate it. Its pretty ghetto over here, I have to take about 20 minutes of street to get to my apartment, and there's nothing nearby. Is any part of Stone Mountain more directly off the highway? Near a mall? In a good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,699 times
Or even Decatur.... I know Decatur has a bad rep but there has to be some good parts.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 17,517 times
The upper end of Memorial Drive is near hwy 78 but not so great of an area. I doubt there are any "Good" parts of Stone Mountain. There are some ok neighborhoods here and there but if you want a "Good" area you may have to look elsewhere. Downtown Decatur is a good area but not really near an expressway and fairly expensive.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

504 posts, read 1,546,256 times
Yeah, I don't know exactly where in Stone Mountain you are but the Industrial Park is pretty close to Hwy 78 on the map. So you must be a lot deeper in the neighborhood for it to take you 20 minutes to get to. It use to be a pretty nice area (decades ago), but like a lot of neighborhoods, certain portions have gone downhill. I've lived all over these areas (both Decatur Unincorporated and City of) for a long time. I'd say you may be happier living somewhere near where Lawrenceville Highway (Scott Blvd) and N. Druid Hills Rd. / Valley Brook Rd. intersect. I'm saying this because I don't know exactly where you commute to, but it is relatively close to Stone Mountain and is a little bit nicer. You may even look into Scottdale, but that can be hit or miss too. The farther up N. Druid Hills Road you go the nicer the neighborhoods get, but more expensive rents. Like others have said, if you had a little more money to spend on housing you could shoot for Avondale Estates, Oakhurst, or closer in to the center of City of Decatur. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,479 times
The problem is when you say "Stone Mountain", you are covering a LOT of territory. The city limits of the actual city of Stone Mountain are small. However, Stone Mountain mailing addresses stretch from some portions of DeKalb and Gwinnett near Tucker to some portions of DeKalb near Decatur all the way to some portions of DeKalb near Lithonia and the Gwinnett line on that end (i.e. the edge of Snellville and Lilburn). A lot of that area is not close to the interstate depending on where you are.

In terms of the city of Stone Mountain itself, that is just off of the Stone Mountain Freeway (Hwy 78).

Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattiepooh View Post
Or even Decatur.... I know Decatur has a bad rep but there has to be some good parts.
As I understand it, there is mailing address Decatur (larger area) VS actual city of Decatur. And I believe City of Decatur is the sought after one.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM

66 posts, read 103,645 times
I never liked Stone Mountain. I never lived there but spent some time living in Clarkston, and Tucker. Clarkston is off 285 but Stone mountain is further away. I never liked it there. Never seen that many roaches in my life like I have in Clarkston and Stone Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta