Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Why do we always go so negative? I wasn't saying Atlanta TRIES to portray itself that way. But in all seriousness, OUTSIDERS in places like Philly, DC and so on still look at Atlanta through those "Are they a big city like us?" goggles. IMO, Atlanta's build is NOT A NEGATIVE THING!!! Can we stop assuming each other is going negative on Atlanta because of what we hear from all the other posters from other cities that try so hard to discredit Atlanta as a city? What we need is HONEST, SELF CRITICISM from an Atlantan's view to get to a better place. Not "You obviously know nothing about Atlanta blah blah blah..." crap, not "Atlanta sucks because it's not built like Philly" crap and NOT "Nothing's wrong with our brand" because that's not the truth either...
But OUTSIDERS in places like Philly, DC what do they think of most Midwestern cities though? Yeah you miss the point of what I was saying. Other than the Northeast cities most of American cities are dominate or have significant amount of dense single family homes. That's why I posted pics showing the midwestern cities to Atlanta. You kept calling Atlanta core suburban so I posted Midwestern cities that would be argue to death as urban. I was pointing out a double standard.

Quote:
This is the kind of rude post I'm talking about.
You're not saying anything new...

We don't need a history lesson of history we already know just to show you know a little history and we don't need a list of current neighborhoods... But I'll try to respond to a few points that I think you've made (if any)...

1) Your point 1 is an example of completely missing the point. Saying Atlanta is similar to some other Southern cities in build is not an all encompassing statement, but that's what you wanted to hear because it gave you a chance to give a history lesson. Fact is, Atlanta ISN'T anything like Memphis or NOLA, or Nashville, BUT there ARE similarities with Atlanta and Charlotte, Birmingham, Columbia, Raleigh and so on... SIMILARITIES, NOT IDENTICALNESS... But again, you missed the point anyway

2) Atlanta "RELATIVELY" young city... NOT in age smarty pants... But When compared to some of these urban cities that were established back in the 1600s and 1700s, Atlanta IS a relatively young. BUT, again that wasn't even the point. The "young" part refers to it's recent development versus the development of some other cities that hit their boom eras back in the early 1900s and mid 1900s.

3) Here you finally got to a point that I was making. The double standard. My point is screw their double standard and embrace what IS Atlanta... I see you have a knack for missing the point.

4) Those neighborhoods, regardless of how distinctive you think they are, the point is that an OUTSIDER doesn't easily distinguish them. Of course YOU see the distinctive personality of each neighborhood. You're supposed to but because I observe that outsiders have a hard time identifying them, doesn't mean that I MYSELF think they're all the same... Stop missing the point.

5) And OMG... Really? Is THAT what you hear? What retard from Atlanta doesn't know the Big Chicken isn't IN Atlanta? Thanks for pointing out... Guess we needed Captain Obvious to save the day again...
No, I'm not saying build a "BIG ZEBRA..." What would that have to do with ART anyway? How rude...

The point, since I have to make it clear for you, is that in Atlanta many people use landmarks (even if that landmark is just a local store) to give directions. Maybe not so much anymore due to GPS, but that's how we have been. I say that is one thing that we could embrace. Make a push for more PUBLIC ART (not more "Big" animals). Oy vey

I was about to go really hard but.... I doing to easy up. look Cincinnati's Over The Rhine neighborhood has the largest stock of italianate architecture. I sure they get some visitors for it but a lot maybe not. Just because there's history and culture doesn't mean it will be naturally value. architect77 made it very clear he don't care for Georgia history, Ignoring history or not caring about the history is not the same thing as saying no history. So yall need to stop with the Atlanta has not of history or no culture crap, and say yall don't like Atlanta's history or culture was my mind set. I guess I unfairly associate you with him because he was agreeing with you. But remember I said my reply was for you and him. Dude is still saying Atlanta has nothing historic when all those neighborhoods I listed are national historic districts.

I put this way Atlanta has much in common with other southern cities. As St Louis has with other Midwestern cities. How are those Midwestern neighborhoods unique from each other but southern neighborhoods aren't. How can super dense cities be unique from each other any more than Sun belt cities are from each other.

Which is why again I'm asking for substance. Naming neighborhoods especially southern neighborhoods. Since Charlotte, Raleigh, and Birmingham have similar neighborhoods as Atlanta what are they? There's a major historic difference between Atlanta with Raleigh and Charlotte. There's no O4W or cabbagetown like neighborhoods in those cities. And Birmingham was a planed city. The reason why I went in because posters be bashing the heck of Atlanta and other southern cities with that ignorance. But hold up

Charlotte

Dilworth - Google Maps

Dilworth - Google Maps

Dilworth - Google Maps

Elizabeth - Google Maps

Elizabeth - Google Maps

Elizabeth - Google Maps

Wilmore - Google Maps

Wilmore - Google Maps

Wilmore - Google Maps
Quote:
4) Those neighborhoods, regardless of how distinctive you think they are, the point is that an OUTSIDER doesn't easily distinguish them. Of course YOU see the distinctive personality of each neighborhood. You're supposed to but because I observe that outsiders have a hard time identifying them, doesn't mean that I MYSELF think they're all the same... Stop missing the point.
Outsider have a hard time distinguish them, because they never head of them or they don't know what Atlanta look like. If an "outsider" said they been to Atlanta and felt all the neighborhoods are the same yeah they are being a troll.

While looking at these Atlanta neighborhoods anyone can clearly see how they are very distinct from each other. They're clear have different architecture, different lay outs, different vibes and etc. Also want you contrast these with the few Charlotte neighborhoods above.

Cabbagetown - Google Maps

Sweet Auburn - Google Maps

Inman Park - Google Maps

Inman Park - Google Maps

Inman Park - Google Maps

Virginia Highland - Google Maps

Midtown - Google Maps

Midtown - Google Maps

Midtown - Google Maps

Also on the age thing, Again the double standard.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab11.txt

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab14.txt

My points was people have this off sunbelt view that sunbelt cities have no history. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, LA, and some what Miami do not belong in same historical context as Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Orlando and Tampa. And your right people do view Memphis as more historic than Atlanta, But this is a branding thread right? so something is clear wrong.

Back to the art thing, I was being sarcastic I should had put the smile icon. All I was saying enhance what there don't just put meaningless soulless stuff up. Imagine if there was like grand fountains in Ansley park and Virginia highland roundabouts, stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
This has been an entertaining read. LOL. Being relatively new to GA (9 years), I can say that it seems to me that some of the Atlanta naysayers on urbanism appear to be bashing Atlanta for not having the neighborhoods of older Northeastern cities...but those neighborhoods in NY, Philly, Boston, etc that some speak so fondly of were not "created" by city planners, they were created essentially by self segregation by ethnicity during a period of mass immigration to this country. That distinct neighborhood vibe in the NE is due in large part to the culture at the time, Italians here, Irish there, etc. That is a plus for those cities for many, BUT to knock Atlanta for not having as much of that is ridiculous. I have family from the Northeast who come to visit and they like Atlanta BECAUSE it is different from the Northeast cities. They like the trees, the parks, the quaint feel of many of the neighborhoods close in that allow you to forget you are in a major city, the newness feel of Midtown mixed with the closeness of historical areas nearby.

Some on here seem to be arguing that Atlanta needs to create areas more like the rowhouse districts in the northeast, but I would argue that Atlanta's selling points already exist...no need to try to become something else. Low cost of living (relative to many US cities), good weather (again relative to most), all things a person expects in a major city exist, great history, great neighborhoods, etc.

Are there things that Atlanta should work on, of course (public transportation, crime image, public school options in town, etc), but to deny the city's rich culture and history because it is different from that of NY or Chicago is foolish to me. Embrace the differences because those are what make you unique.
Which brings us right back full circle to the OP: Georgia (and Atlanta's) BRAND! After all this discussion, I'm convinced we have a lot of positive selling points. Finding our "brand" shouldn't be that difficult!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,120 times
It's all in the name of Southern Charm,that's what people came to see. If the state and cities stop promoting all these newly built areas,and just focus on the historic areas with real history......Then maybe we can have a good brand to run on.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Here's a fact: Atlanta won't appeal to everyone so get over yourself.
I completely agree. Our humble burg is not everyone's cup of tea.

Despite that Atlanta is clearly the dominant city in the Southeast. It has somehow attracted around a million new residents every decade for the last 40 years and scads of major businesses. We're a very popular domestic and international tourist destination. We're one of a handful of US cities to host the Olympics, and we've made major advances in the arts, science and education.

There's a lot that remains to be done here but I think we've made solid progress.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
This has been an entertaining read. LOL. Being relatively new to GA (9 years), I can say that it seems to me that some of the Atlanta naysayers on urbanism appear to be bashing Atlanta for not having the neighborhoods of older Northeastern cities...but those neighborhoods in NY, Philly, Boston, etc that some speak so fondly of were not "created" by city planners, they were created essentially by self segregation by ethnicity during a period of mass immigration to this country. That distinct neighborhood vibe in the NE is due in large part to the culture at the time, Italians here, Irish there, etc. That is a plus for those cities for many, BUT to knock Atlanta for not having as much of that is ridiculous. I have family from the Northeast who come to visit and they like Atlanta BECAUSE it is different from the Northeast cities. They like the trees, the parks, the quaint feel of many of the neighborhoods close in that allow you to forget you are in a major city, the newness feel of Midtown mixed with the closeness of historical areas nearby.

Some on here seem to be arguing that Atlanta needs to create areas more like the rowhouse districts in the northeast, but I would argue that Atlanta's selling points already exist...no need to try to become something else. Low cost of living (relative to many US cities), good weather (again relative to most), all things a person expects in a major city exist, great history, great neighborhoods, etc.

Are there things that Atlanta should work on, of course (public transportation, crime image, public school options in town, etc), but to deny the city's rich culture and history because it is different from that of NY or Chicago is foolish to me. Embrace the differences because those are what make you unique.

Partly true, but the neighborhoods don't necessarily have to have row houses.

For example, this neighborhood doesn't really have row houses, but it looks like a nice urban neighborhood.

Little Five points is another nice urban neighborhood. It's just a little too small.

A continuous urban wall is mostly what I'm talking about that is walkable and comes up to street level. That's mainly what I consider an urban neighborhood.

However, I do love the historic architecture of the northeast and midwest and why I have a bias towards those cities....I don't think the new buildings are nice to look at.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
A continuous urban wall is mostly what I'm talking about that is walkable and comes up to street level. That's mainly what I consider an urban neighborhood.
That is certainly one urban form, but if that is your exclusive definition Atlanta is not your kind of town.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM

367 posts, read 996,444 times
Lol yea Georgia needs a make over.I was due to move to Atlanta this summer but after spending a couple of days in Atlanta I declined.At first I was enthralled I thought Atlanta was so awesome but after a while I started to get bored and disappointed.Atlanta is Nice to look at with all those big shiny skyscrapers stretching from Buckhead to downtown but than what.The Aquarium was nice but after you ve done it its like been there done that. Than I thought Ah the mall's..Lenox was not as big as I thought Philips Plaza was uber nice but empty (of people)

Than I got to thinking
wheres the cultural vibe.like Boston or New York
Where's the party district like bourbon street
Where's the body of water like Lake Michigan or Mississippi River

I concluded that Atl wasn't for me after all

Than I thought about Georgia how come they only have one good city
Texas has Houston Dallas
Tennessee has Memphis Nashville
Georgia has Atlanta and ?...what other.metro over a.million

Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Lol yea Georgia needs a make over.I was due to move to Atlanta this summer but after spending a couple of days in Atlanta I declined.At first I was enthralled I thought Atlanta was so awesome but after a while I started to get bored and disappointed.Atlanta is Nice to look at with all those big shiny skyscrapers stretching from Buckhead to downtown but than what.The Aquarium was nice but after you ve done it its like been there done that. Than I thought Ah the mall's..Lenox was not as big as I thought Philips Plaza was uber nice but empty (of people)

Than I got to thinking

Texas has Houston Dallas

Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post

Than I got to thinking

Texas has Houston Dallas
Yeah, if you look at the Atlanta skyline, you would think you were in an incredibly vibrant, energetic and walkable city and that there would be many people on the street under those skyscrapers, but it really isn't the case.

Atlanta is a top 5 skyline for me in the U.S., but nowhere near top 5 for urbanity.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:04 PM

367 posts, read 996,444 times
Yeah its like Atlanta trys to fool you by have all their skyscrapers in a single line makes the city looks more urban than it really is.
It's like a single file line of skyscraper instead of true density.and walkability. But don't get me wrong there some real architectural gems there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta