Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

Which side do you stand on???

1) Atlanta is just fine the way it is and needs no improvements?
2) Atlanta needs a lot of work?
3) Atlanta is fine the way it is, but there's nothing wrong with making a good thing better?

My point is exactly #3... I don't understand how some hear another poster's criticism of Atlanta (THEIR OWN HOME) and get so offended. Just because a native Atlantan, or even a transplant to Atlanta feels like "Atlanta needs better neighborhoods," "Atlanta could use a makeover," "Atlanta isn't as urban as other cities," etc... DOES NOT MEAN THEY DO NOT LIKE ATLANTA, NOR IS IT AN INSULT.

A wise man told me once, "gold must be refined by the fire..." Meaning, Gold is nice the way it is, but if you want that gold to be more pure, you must put it through fire.

I LOVE Atlanta. I'm sometimes nicknamed "ATL" or "Mr. Atlanta" cause I'm Atlanta everything everyday. I never go a single day without something Falcons related on my person.
HOWEVER, I look at my home and feel such an urge or want to see it made much better. I also (maybe some of you are going to say "dude, stop worrying about that" and maybe you're right, BUT) feel like Atlanta does not receive the respect I feel it deserves and want so badly for Atlanta to receive higher level of respect Nationaly and Internationaly. So, when I say something like "Atlanta needs......." trust it doesn't mean I dislike Atlanta. To me, there's no place like it. BUT, everything can be made better.

After leaving ATL at 19, I've lived in San Diego, Italy, DC, Brooklyn, The Bay Area, LA and Phoenix. And I will tell you that ALL of those places could use an improvement also. I can NOT STAND life in NY. Horrible. BUT it gets a worldwide respect that I honestly envy a little. San Diego is great, but it can be a lot better. Phoenix is a bore of all bores, BUT it's nice yet it can still be a lot better. etc... I LOVE LA, but there are things about it that I hate and LA just like Atlanta, can stand to be refined by the fire...
Those others don't get to hear me criticise Atlanta. That's why I come here... Hopefully to find likeminded Atlantans that want to see Atlanta improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
THIS WORKS BOTH WAYS! How many places have absolutely incredible reputations, yet once you go there the first time they turn out to be major disappointments? San Francisco and New Orleans are two places that I find totally appalling compared to all the hype. And Los Angeles may be the most over-hyped city in the world!

Atlanta is unique among major US cities in that it's actually a much nicer place than its reputation...
News, I hear ya point. BUT I don't care about how those other places don't live up to their reps. That doesn't help Atlanta to me. And you're right that I also have known MANY people to come to ATL and be pleasantly surprised. But that isn't going to help bring in new outside dollars. I know some people feel like we should avoid trying to become a tourist trap, but one way for a city to be successful is to have a means to import money. Not keep spinning it's wheels having natives spend their money in their own town. We need to keep our money in Atlanta as much as possible, AND draw money from people in NY, LA, Miami, DC, Chicago, NOLA, etc... That will boost OUR economy which leads to a better life for us (well, some of us because it will also lead to higher cost of living and housing, but hey...)

I feel like Atlanta city officials have failed in the area of marketing for a long time... Atlanta definitely could be better presented to the world to draw more people, to be pleasantly surprised.

Hype is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, things are hyped for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's your opinion. Many people love San Francisco and New Orleans...
...If Atlanta wants to be more out there and get more genuine tourism, it needs to market itself better along with improving itself so that it has something to market itself off of.
Ant, I agree with this post a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Ant,

At the end of the day you have alot to learn.

You're arguments are pretty aggressive. You might want to tone it down a bit and try to be receptive of others opinions.

What is happening is essentially you're saying Atlanta is horrible and it must be so, but you leave no room for other people to say... oh no I love it, without having you aggressively argue back...
Let people have their opinions. We NEED to hear everyone's good opinion and bad opinion of Atlanta. That is how we find out what needs to be improved to make a better place to live.
Just like we NEED negative criticism, we also need those positive "this is a great place" posts as well. If not, we try fixing the things that aren't broken.

Quote:
It's more like, I'll say something negative(but sometimes actually a fact), then get attacked by the millions of Atlanta...

...However, I will try my hardest not to 'troll' or personally insult others...I rarely do now.
Dude, I get the same thing sometimes...
Some people get so insulted when you say the slightest thing about "their" city, as if it's not just as much your city.
Then you get all the "you obviously know nothing..." comments and all, going WAAAAAY off subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
This has been an entertaining read. LOL. Being relatively new to GA (9 years), I can say that it seems to me that some of the Atlanta naysayers on urbanism appear to be bashing Atlanta for not having the neighborhoods of older Northeastern cities...but those neighborhoods in NY, Philly, Boston, etc that some speak so fondly of were not "created" by city planners, they were created essentially by self segregation by ethnicity during a period of mass immigration to this country. That distinct neighborhood vibe in the NE is due in large part to the culture at the time, Italians here, Irish there, etc. That is a plus for those cities for many, BUT to knock Atlanta for not having as much of that is ridiculous. I have family from the Northeast who come to visit and they like Atlanta BECAUSE it is different from the Northeast cities. They like the trees, the parks, the quaint feel of many of the neighborhoods close in that allow you to forget you are in a major city, the newness feel of Midtown mixed with the closeness of historical areas nearby...
Found this to be a very interesting post. Great point.
It's great having those ethnic neighborhoods, however that is correct that it was the self segregation of ethnicities in the NE that created today loved neighborhoods. I would say that it's a good thing to be able to point out that Atlanta didn't have that self segregation problem, but that would be a lie. Atlanta didn't end up with those ethnic neighborhoods for a whole different reason other than being above segregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
1) I was pointing out a double standard.

2) Just because there's history and culture doesn't mean it will be naturally value. architect77 made it very clear he don't care for Georgia history, Ignoring history or not caring about the history is not the same thing as saying no history. So yall need to stop with the Atlanta has not of history or no culture crap, and say yall don't like Atlanta's history or culture was my mind set. I guess I unfairly associate you with him because he was agreeing with you. But remember I said my reply was for you and him. Dude is still saying Atlanta has nothing historic when all those neighborhoods I listed are national historic districts.

3) I put this way Atlanta has much in common with other southern cities. As St Louis has with other Midwestern cities. How are those Midwestern neighborhoods unique from each other but southern neighborhoods aren't. How can super dense cities be unique from each other any more than Sun belt cities are from each other.

4) Which is why again I'm asking for substance. Naming neighborhoods especially southern neighborhoods. Since Charlotte, Raleigh, and Birmingham have similar neighborhoods as Atlanta what are they? There's a major historic difference between Atlanta with Raleigh and Charlotte. There's no O4W or cabbagetown like neighborhoods in those cities. And Birmingham was a planed city. The reason why I went in because posters be bashing the heck of Atlanta and other southern cities with that ignorance. But hold up

5) My points was people have this off sunbelt view that sunbelt cities have no history. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, LA, and some what Miami do not belong in same historical context as Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Orlando and Tampa. And your right people do view Memphis as more historic than Atlanta, But this is a branding thread right? so something is clear wrong.

6) Back to the art thing, I was being sarcastic I should had put the smile icon. All I was saying enhance what there don't just put meaningless soulless stuff up. Imagine if there was like grand fountains in Ansley park and Virginia highland roundabouts, stuff like that.
Chiatldal, you don't understand that you understand me... If that makes any sense. You hear me, but are hitting on the wrong points. You're pointing out the non-points in my posts. I'll explain:

1) I agree that there is a HUGE double standard... I'm not agreeing WITH the double standard. I was using it as a point, saying that other's unjustly view Atlanta that way

2) I don't know where you got that from. I don't feel like Atlanta has no culture or history. I'm constantly an advocate for Atlanta's culture and history, HOWEVER, Knowing that the city has history and culture to me doesn't negate the necessity for improvements, even IN those historic neighborhoods. Fairlie-Poplar could be 10x better. I like Castleberry Hill, but could it be 30x better? HECK YEAH!!! etc...

3) Saying Atlanta has similar build with other Southern cities is not a statement that implies that Midwestern cities are NOT similar. Your reasoning sounds like a Fallacy of false cause. Just because it is my observation that it seems like Atlanta, Columbia, Raleigh, Charlotte and some other southern cities share similarities in build does not conclude that I do NOT feel the same about Midwestern, Northeastern or Western cities... Just take the statement itself for what it was and nothing more.

4) With Atlanta's neighborhoods, I'm NOT saying that all the neighborhoods are the same. Re-read the post. I say that "OUTSIDERS" have a hard time discerning Atlanta's neighborhoods. NOT ME. THEY do, and I think it's largely related to the fact that Atlanta does not have many natural features OR major avenues separating many historic neighborhoods.
A person from San Diego doesn't just arrive in Atlanta and suddenly have native knowledge to be able to tell Reynoldstown and Inman Park apart. Especially when in San Diego, they are used to many neighborhoods and cities being physically distinguishable. You can't drive through Mission Valley and mistake it for Coronado, or for Point Loma, or for Pacific Beach, or for Old Town, or for El Cajon. Non of those places look similar to even a blind man... But in MY home, Atlanta, you don't have to round a mountain to arrive in Edgewood from Candler Park. You don't have to cross any bridges to get to Morningside from Ansley Park. You don't have to drive down into a valley find yourself in Decatur (and yes, before you say it. I KNOW Decatur is NOT IN Atlanta, just like Coronado and El Cajon are not IN San Diego).
I feel like Atlanta can do a BETTER job at making our neighborhoods more distinguishable. Doesn't mean rebuild the entire neighborhood, but there are other ways... Some cities use different colored street signs. Some cities even list the neighborhood name on the street signs. Some cities actually have a lit up sign at the heart of the neighborhood. Some cities use completely differnt trees planted along the streets than the surrounding neighborhoods SIMPLY SO people coming to the neighborhood KNOW when they are there and WHERE they are. Sometimes, the mass transit buses have a notation of the area in the bus number such as the Q8 running through Queens vs other buses. We don't do these kind of things in Atlanta and wonder how come everyone seems to think there are LITERALLY 12 Peachtree STREETS and can't find their way from MLK Memorial to Midtown without complaining that things are confusing. It makes sense to US, not them. Simply, we can do better to make Atlanta more invitable to our neighborhoods.

5) I agree. Sunbelt cities get that "no culture" rap. I don't agree that sunbelt cities have no culture. But then again, I'm one that hates hearing people say LA has no culture, because it also does. My point is, people think that because we don't do a good enough job of marketing ourselves. And if it's that we don't want to commercialize, or let the "secret" out, then we can develop other reasons to draw their money to be spent in our city, and keep our local areas hidden.

6) Okay, I get your sarcasm... Ha ha. Funny funny. I wasn't saying, just throw some ol BS together just to have landmarks. I think we could use the fact (FACT) that Atlanta is among the hotbeds for today's artists. We can jump on that market and become America's center for artists. Phoenix does a good job at promoting artists. We could do a LOT better. Allow them to come and find work by placing their marks on the city in the form of public art. REAL ART. Not a city covered in Big chickens, zebras, dogs and whatever other big animals.

Personally, I think the city COULD use a large scale, landmark structure errected solely for the purpose of tourism, but that's just me. When I say that kind of thing, I usually get the "no culture" response from people. But those people also forget that the response they give to my ideas are the same responses that the Parisians gave to the construction of the Eiffel Tower, and now look at it. NOW, it's "La Tour Eiffel" (said in my snootiest voice). A lot of people sit on that anti-tourism high horse until it becomes convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I completely agree. Our humble burg is not everyone's cup of tea.

Despite that Atlanta is clearly the dominant city in the Southeast. It has somehow attracted around a million new residents every decade for the last 40 years and scads of major businesses. We're a very popular domestic and international tourist destination. We're one of a handful of US cities to host the Olympics, and we've made major advances in the arts, science and education.

There's a lot that remains to be done here but I think we've made solid progress.
I agree, however I was heartbroken to hear that there was an Atlanta Olympic bid bribe scandal. They say Atlanta bribed it's way into winning the Olympics. Whether it's true or not, it speaks to this weird, anti-Atlanta, oh Atlanta has no culture, Atlanta's not a real city sentiment that seems to perpetuate around the nation and the world. I mean, some International cities were actually OFFENDED that Atlanta won. Had New York bribed it's way into the Olympics, nobody would have ish to say... Double standard.

Though I think we've made some progress, I don't know if I'd call it "solid." I tend to feel like it seems like trying to get any progress done in Atlanta is like pulling grown men's teeth. ALWAYS met with SO MUCH aggressive resistance (no matter what it is) and takes forever.

Quote:
If Atlanta had all of the skyscrapers in downtown alone, then Atlanta skyline would be better IMHO...
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Piedmont Park + Ansley Park + Midtown Skyline = One of the most stunningly beautiful urban districts in the world!

How the Atlanta haters can't recognize this is beyond me.
Because it looks just like Central Park imo...You act like there are no other cities in the world that have a park with skyscrapers near it....It's like a water-downed version of Central park....

It's beautiful area to see, but not exactly much to see. I can get that experience and more in New York.

And yes I am responding to you because of your last statement as if other people can't have a different opinion.

Try seeing Hong Kong with the mountains behind the main dense CBD. Now that's beautiful. Truly beautiful and I've actually seen it in person.

That's stunningly beautiful IN MY OPINION.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This.

Atlanta's identity:

Atlanta
the city in a forest

Atlanta
Capital of the American South
--> Atlanta is the urban center/manifestation of everything Southern. Think Sao Paulo and how it represents Brazil as a whole. Same for Atlanta and the American South.

Atlanta
Urban brilliance, Southern Style

Identity subsets
*Southern urban culture
*History (Civil War to Civil Rights)
*Black/African-American Culture
*Center of Music (Hip-Hop, R+B, Pop, Southern Rock, Piedmont Blues, Country, etc.)

Atlanta
Urban brilliance, Southern Charm

Atlanta
Urban Bliss, Southern Charm

Atlanta
Urban Dynamite, Southern Charm

Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Lol yea Georgia needs a make over.I was due to move to Atlanta this summer but after spending a couple of days in Atlanta I declined.At first I was enthralled I thought Atlanta was so awesome but after a while I started to get bored and disappointed.Atlanta is Nice to look at with all those big shiny skyscrapers stretching from Buckhead to downtown but than what.The Aquarium was nice but after you ve done it its like been there done that. Than I thought Ah the mall's..Lenox was not as big as I thought Philips Plaza was uber nice but empty (of people)

Than I got to thinking
wheres the cultural vibe.like Boston or New York
Where's the party district like bourbon street
Where's the body of water like Lake Michigan or Mississippi River

I concluded that Atl wasn't for me after all

Than I thought about Georgia how come they only have one good city
Texas has Houston Dallas
Tennessee has Memphis Nashville
Georgia has Atlanta and ?...what other.metro over a.million
Illinois has Chicago and?
Minnesota has MN-SP and?
Massachusetts has Boston and?
Many states dont even HAVE a city over one million.
Atlanta metro is bigger than Nashville,Memphis and Charlotte combined almost.
SO WHAT?Whats your point?
TN and Tx also have some of the poorest areas in all of the U.S.So what?

You were bored because you were uninformed.Not many cities in the world have I have ever been bored.Sound like you want everyplace to be the same.With things familiar to you without exploring what is maybe more local.
Im glad you found out its not for you but,you are way off if you think there's no cultural vibe.You obviously did not know where you were.When I go to NYC i dont feel a particular cultural vibe until im in its neighborhoods like Harlem,Bronx,Brooklyn or China town. Not in Lower Manhattan or Staten Island.

That said Im not sure how you manage not to go to Sweet Auburn and the King Center.

,Cabbagetown,

Grant Park,Buford Hwy or the Westend

and not "get a cultural vibe".
The Historic Westside where people like WEB Dubois and Booker T Washington or Alonzo B Herndon,Atlanta first black Millionaire and fmr slave that founded what is today one of the largest black owned Insurance companies in America.His 1906 mansion is 4 blocks from my house.
The Original Building of Atlanta Life in 1910.

New Atlanta Life Bilding

Also close to the largest Concentration of HBCU's in the U.S.Enough culture that "A Different World" was shot and modeled after the life of its students.
Thats your fault,not Atlanta's.

Their are Party Districts all over Atlanta.Most noted is Crescent Ave in Midtown.Its every bit as lively as Bourbon Street outside of Mardi Gras which is on another level. Edgewood Ave,L5P,VA-HI.Whatever vibe you are looking for.

Body of Water?Really?Ok you got us!!All we have is Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee River that only supply water to more than 3 states.

Yes.Wow!!You really know everything about Atlanta on your 12 hour layover.
Lenox Mall may not be as big but maybe had you hopped back on Marta and went 10 minutes North ,you would have realized another large mall (Peremeter)with retail all around it is there

Last edited by afonega1; 12-26-2012 at 03:26 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Because it looks just like Central Park imo...You act like there are no other cities in the world that have a park with skyscrapers near it....It's like a water-downed version of Central park....

It's beautiful area to see, but not exactly much to see. I can get that experience and more in New York.

And yes I am responding to you because of your last statement as if other people can't have a different opinion.

Try seeing Hong Kong with the mountains behind the main dense CBD. Now that's beautiful. Truly beautiful and I've actually seen it in person.

Piedmont reminds me of not but Peidmont. Central Park is Central Park

Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Ant131531 is entitled to his opinion of Peidmont+Skyline.
Sure it's nice, but just because you think so, doesn't mean the rest of the world has to agree...
This speaks to Atlanta's problem. We waste time trying to argue with people and convince them to like what we DO have instead of creating the atmospheres that they like, that we don't have.

Afoneg1, Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee river are far from "water features..."
Sure it's water. Sure it waters 3 states, yet there can be a water shortage in Atlanta but no problem with water in the Florida Panhandle who is also watered by the Lake Lan/Chatt water flow...

Plus, what do they have to do with the "CITY ATMOSPHERE?" None at all. A "water feature" would be something like New Orleans' Riverwalk, Pier 39 San Fran, Even parks along the Potomac in DC and dirty C&O Canal. Catching a ferry across Puget Sound in Seattle. Crossing Manhattan Bridge in NY. Inner Harbor Baltimore. Navy Pier Chicago. Miami BEACH. 3 Rivers Park Pittsburgh. etc...
It's virtually impossible to have a "Spirit of Atlanta" boat cruise by any means... BUT... So, we don't have a water feature. SO WHAT!!! To argue that we do is proposterous. We simply don't We have less urban water feature than Phoenix. Doesn't make us any less of a city. It is what it is. We are just like many cities: Oklahoma City, Denver, Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc... It's OKAY... There are other ways... It's just not our thing.

Those things you point out are FAR from reasons that GA does not need a makeover. Simply put, we DO. Face it. We do...
Just because you love home doesn't mean it can't get any better.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:

ANT dude ... do you have any idea how often you contradict yourself?! You say Atlanta is not urban or dense, then turn right around and compare Midtown and Piedmont to Cental Park and Manhattan. You call Atlanta's skyline "too linear" and spread out, then declare it one of the 5 best in the country -- "and it would be better if all the buildings were clumped together." What? Second or third after Chicago and NYC?

This is why you have no credibility -- you cannot criticize ATL for not being more like NYC and then turn around and say it's "a watered-down version" of NYC! You don't like the things that make Atlanta unique, then say it's not unique enough! You can't seriously compare Hong Kong's mountains and ocean to Atlanta's rolling hills and tree cover. You pick and choose parts of Atlanta that don't fit whatever your definition of a city is, while ignoring the parts of Atlanta that do.

This has a absolutely NOTHING to do with you expressing your opinion, or others disagreeing with your opinion. It's all about your flawed logic and shallow thought process.

Last edited by Newsboy; 12-26-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Ant131531 is entitled to his opinion of Peidmont+Skyline.
Sure it's nice, but just because you think so, doesn't mean the rest of the world has to agree...
This speaks to Atlanta's problem. We waste time trying to argue with people and convince them to like what we DO have instead of creating the atmospheres that they like, that we don't have.

Afoneg1, Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee river are far from "water features..."
Sure it's water. Sure it waters 3 states, yet there can be a water shortage in Atlanta but no problem with water in the Florida Panhandle who is also watered by the Lake Lan/Chatt water flow...

Plus, what do they have to do with the "CITY ATMOSPHERE?" None at all. A "water feature" would be something like New Orleans' Riverwalk, Pier 39 San Fran, Even parks along the Potomac in DC and dirty C&O Canal. Catching a ferry across Puget Sound in Seattle. Crossing Manhattan Bridge in NY. Inner Harbor Baltimore. Navy Pier Chicago. Miami BEACH. 3 Rivers Park Pittsburgh. etc...
It's virtually impossible to have a "Spirit of Atlanta" boat cruise by any means... BUT... So, we don't have a water feature. SO WHAT!!! To argue that we do is proposterous. We simply don't We have less urban water feature than Phoenix. Doesn't make us any less of a city. It is what it is. We are just like many cities: Oklahoma City, Denver, Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc... It's OKAY... There are other ways... It's just not our thing.

Those things you point out are FAR from reasons that GA does not need a makeover. Simply put, we DO. Face it. We do...
Just because you love home doesn't mean it can't get any better.
Dude.Just stop it.I never brought up any of those things.It was in response to another poster.
>He stated there was no cultural vibe
>No river or bodies of water.No rivers
>He was bored even though it was obvious he missed half the city
>Lenox was small
>Georgia has only one big city yet Texas and TN have....
>No party districts?REALLY?
He was obviously trolling.I corrected him and exposed it.I dont see how I was boosting anything other than the truth.
Why would I bring up water when obviously Atlanta is landlocked.What can we do about that?Nothing so its like why bring it up?Why would you complain about a city becuase of lack of natural features

You asked:
Quote:
why waste time trying to argue with people and convince them to like what we DO have instead of creating the atmospheres that they like, that we don't have
WHY?Ill tell you why.Because the people who complain are not complaining about things we should change baut things they like that most of us dont want.
For example: Ant1530 says;
Quote:
Who wants to look a single family houses in Va-Hi and then there nothing else to do there
.REALLY?A very walk able area of the city with shops and restaurants full of people in the streets daily yet this is what he says.

Quote:
Just because you love home doesn't mean it can't get any better
I dont believe that we need a makeover more than a tweeking or fine-tuning.
Why is that Georgia tourism has increased every year over the last 5 years?Why is it that Savannah is all over the best cities to visit and best dining cities in America list nowadays.Even best nightlife.Last year Savannah,Augusta and Columbus had the largest increase in visitor spending.

Quote:
The $21 billion that tourists spent in Georgia during 2010 not only represented an 8.3 percent increase, but it also beat the previous record set before the recession in 2008

Quote:
Indeed, spending by foreign tourists jumped 15 percent, making Georgia the state with the fourth-largest increase.
http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2011...8#.UNs882-ADzk

I have not heard not ONE Atlanta poster say we dont need any change.We spend more time correcting and defending the very reason Atlanta is attractive than having a chance to talk about what we hate..We know what Atlanta could use and loose,but you have a lot of people just determined be right when they could not be further from the truth.

Last edited by afonega1; 12-26-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
ANT dude ... do you have any idea how often you contradict yourself?! You say Atlanta is not urban or dense, then turn right around and compare Midtown and Piedmont to Cental Park and Manhattan. You call Atlanta's skyline "too linear" and spread out, then declare it one of the 5 best in the country -- "and it would be better if all the buildings were clumped together." What? Second or third after Chicago and NYC?

This is why you have no credibility -- you cannot criticize ATL for not being more like NYC and then turn around and say it's "a watered-down version" of NYC! You don't like the things that make Atlanta unique, then say it's not unique enough! You can't seriously compare Hong Kong's mountains and ocean to Atlanta's rolling hills and tree cover. You pick and choose parts of Atlanta that don't fit whatever your definition of a city is, while ignoring the parts of Atlanta that do.

This has a absolutely NOTHING to do with you expressing your opinion, or others disagreeing with your opinion. It's all about your flawed logic and shallow thought process.
No, it's you being angry I don't like Atlanta and disagree with your opinions. I said it' lie Central park because the park is sided by highrises and skyscraper. I never said the whole city of New York was like the city of Atlanta. You're putting words in my mouth and twisting them for your own agenda.

2nd, yes, I think it's a top 5 skyline, but it COULD E EVEN HIGHER if the skyscrapers were more clumped together. Is this hard to understand?

I can make any comparison I want when you say things like, "None of you can disagree with me when I say that Piedmont Park + Midtown skyline is one of the most stunningly beautiful urban districts in the WORLD!". I can make any comparison because I've traveled over the world and seen cities far above Atlanta, Hong Kong being one and Atlanta has nothing on Hong Kong when it comes to beauty.

Get off my back. You're starting to irk me very much and I've never been irked this much in this forum.

I don't like Atlanta and I have my own opinions and you can't change them so shut the hell up. Stop taking it so personally....it's just a city. Me not liking Atlanta has zero effect on your personal life. You say I need to grow up, but look at you.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
I don't like Atlanta and I have my own opinions and you can't change them so shut the hell up. Stop taking it so personally....it's just a city. Me not liking Atlanta has zero effect on your personal life. You say I need to grow up, but look at you.
I don't like people like you and I have my own opinions and you can't change them so shut the hell up. Stop taking it so personally....you're just a person. Me not liking you has zero effect on your personal life. You say I need to grow up, but look at you.

Just kidding but you get the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta