Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM

4,764 posts, read 5,401,995 times

Advertisements

Synchronize bus and train schedules. Some times you must wait 20 minutes because a bus arrives a minute before a train just left. Also have bus driver wait a couple minutes if they realize their bus are empty and a train will arrive in a couple of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Um. Isn't that trying to legislate one's personal views? I fail to see how this would benefit MARTA. What are they gonna do, hand out citations for talking too loud? Have time-out corners at one end of the train?
That's not legislating personal views -- it's simply maintaining order in the public space. People are perfectly free to go somewhere where they aren't impinging on others and yammer their heads off.

And of course it's appropriate to call them down or issue a citation.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM

7,347 posts, read 6,490,502 times
At exactly what decibel level and duration at that, or various decibel levels constitute an affront to order in the public space? Unless you can answer that, you can't really impose a strict limit across the entire train. You might could create a single "quiet car" on each train, Amtrak and many commuter rail agencies do this, but that's a bit much for the short trips MARTA provides. Plus, again, you run into vigilantes, and cops who don't actually know the rules. These quiet cars don't outright prohibit talking, as long as you whisper it's ok, but people have been yelled at because they dared to whisper because the yeller thought quiet means silent. The current system is frankly fine, we shouldn't be trying to "solve" problems, that aren't really problems.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM

I say just enforce the rules we have now. Isn't already against MARTA regulations to play music without headphones? Just use the same volume level when it come to cell phone yakking.

If I see someone blabbing at high volume or otherwise playing the fool, I don't mind telling them myself to cool it. Why shouldn't MARTA officers do the same? I don't see them knocking themselves out with other duties.

It's all about quality of life. If public transportation wants to compete with the automobile then it needs to address matters of this nature. If someone was riding in my car and hollering into their cell phone at high volume I'd tell them to can it, or get out. In fact I have done that very thing a few times.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Quote:
I honestly don't recall being chatted up on a MARTA train.
People on MARTA are quit friendly and sitting next to someone can start up a conversion. I did notice riding MTA that nobody talked. I guess Atlanta is still a southern city, so people are more friendly here.
If a rider has an issue with someone talking loud, they can ask them to please be quiet or move to another car. Its that simple, we don't need a quiet car or stupid loud talking rule. Loud music is another story, if someone is playing music without headphones then they are breaking the rules and need a citation, but if someone has headphones with music turned up so loud other people can hear, then feel sorry for that person because they are just damaging their own hearing.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
...we don't need a quiet car or stupid loud talking rule. Loud music is another story, if someone is playing music without headphones then they are breaking the rules and need a citation, but if someone has headphones with music turned up so loud other people can hear, then feel sorry for that person because they are just damaging their own hearing.
I agree that we don't need a "quiet car."

But why is loud talking different from loud music?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree that we don't need a "quiet car."

But why is loud talking different from loud music?

Some people are loud talkers while others are close talkers.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM

4 Ways the Feds Are Making Transit Better - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
The Federal Transpiration Administration changes to the New Starts and Small Starts program will expedite the process of transit agencies to file grants. This should help streamline the process and make it easier for MARTA to apply for funding for projects.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Finally: A Transit Ticket on Your Smart Phone - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
Next great idea in mass transit? Less infrastructure for the transit agencies to maintain, less chance of riders losing breeze cars. I think it could work.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 AM

7,347 posts, read 6,490,502 times
Actually for a system like MARTA that already has the faregates, the better system would be to enable the faregates to read NFC, near-field communications. NFC and RFID are already largely compatible, so I doubt there would be much noticeable infrastructure change. This would also mean any changeover from Breezecard to smartphone would be relatively painless for the passengers, or MARTA could simply keep supporting both systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta