Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 PM

9 posts, read 13,256 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am currently living up North and am planning on relocating to a warmer climate to seek new employment opportunities. I was an accountant years ago, but switched to teaching after my second child was born. Now that he's about to go off to college I don't have to worry about staying up North where the COL is killing me.

I recently finished an MS in accounting and am looking to get back into the field. I also plan on getting my CPA in the next couple months. I am targeting to relocate by the end of summer 2013 and Atlanta is on my short list. I'll have between 1 to 2 years living expenses covered so I will have some time to do some job hunting. My questions are as followed:

1) How is the job market for accounting/finance positions in Atlanta? Doesn't have to necessarily be a firm, would be interested in working for corporations, non-profits, universities, etc too. How about teaching jobs (k-12)?

2)Where would be the best place to live? My criteria:
Budget: 1300-1500 a month.

Style: Condo/townhome 2br 1-2 bath.

Other Prefs: Schools are not important but I do need a SAFE environment. This is the first time in over two decades that I'll be living alone. I would like to be inside the perimeter in a place where I could be in close proximity to shopping, dinning, entertainment, gyms/parks.

I know that where I eventually work will ultimately dictate where I live, but some suggestions of neighborhoods that fit my preferences would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Buckhead.

Possibly Brookhaven.

Decatur if you want more liberal.

Midtown if you want more urban.

But if you want to be in a totally safe area and are looking for the best place to meet middle aged single successful men, Buckhead.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,945 times
Plan a trip to come down and check out different areas. Midtown is more walkable than Buckhead and it's where Piedmont Park and the Woodruff arts center is located. Buckhead has the upscale shopping, but not as walkable.
I live in midtown and I love it, but I would recommend making a trip to see what area seems to suit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: