Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,791,032 times

Advertisements

One's personal outlook on life changes the way things are seen and experienced. I learned this as a 13 year old on my first trip to Disney in Orlando.

Extended family went (kid brother, mother, grandmother, oldest brother and sis in law and their 3 year old). Stayed with relatives in Zephyrhills. Had to split up our trip to the Magic Kingdom because of the 3 year old. On the first visit, went with the little brother, my mother and grandmother. My grandma was a hoot, found all things interesting, was an avid gardener, pointed out all the different plants. Saw the little ski do's in the lagoon that were more like little boats and said "look at those people floating around in bedroom slippers." Amazed at all the little and big things. Her appreciation of all this made the day special.

The next day the little brother and I went with eldest brother and sis in law and 3 year nephew. They complained about everything. Lines too long, stuff too expensive, rides boring... "Six Flags has better rides than this." Constant griping.

Result? I went to the exact same place two days in a row but I felt like I had been to 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT PLACES!!!

To the OP and the GSU guy that hates Atlanta: Look inside and realize the lenses you put on will color what you see. Life is so much better if you will look for the interesting, the unique, the beautiful. It is there wherever you go if you choose to look for it.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM

492 posts, read 786,762 times
^^ Why do people have to be all philosophical to enjoy Atlanta? That in itself shows a issue, perceived or not.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,914,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Stand corrected I guess about the subway -- but go figure I lived in the ATL for 10 years. Have been at the Georgia Dome, the convention center, Phillips arena -- for hockey games, football games, marching band competitions. And when I say I have been -- we haven't just popped in once or twice. My kids had events at all those facilities and we were in the bowels of the building (always feels like that at those places -- underground -- ooh). Where the !@#$ is the station.
It would be the aptly named Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Station on the west, err, Blue line. There are two entrances to the station: One near the box office of Philips Arena and the side door of the CNN Center, the other at the end of the train platform at the top of a stair case that takes you to the Dome Box office and underneath the main entrance to the GWCC. Alternatively (and this is what I do on game day at the Dome to avoid the crowds), the entire complex is a short walk from Peachtree Center or Five Points station

Getting around by train to all of the major attractions in the city is really the easiest route to go. Only two venues in the whole city without direct train service is the Zoo and Turner Field, and both of those have direct bus lines to them and are a short distance away from a neighborhood train stop. Everything else from all of Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and most neighborhood districts have direct train access. You can go to a conference at the GWCC, eat dinner in Midtown, and shop in Buckhead without even having to look at a car. This is why I don't understand why people say this city isn't pedestrian friendly and thus bad for tourist. Maybe they're like you and just don't know how connected the city is by rail.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,221,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Getting around by train to all of the major attractions in the city is really the easiest route to go. [b]Only two venues in the whole city without direct train service is the Zoo and Turner Field
I agree with what you're saying, except for this. There are many more attractions in the city than just those two that don't have direct train service.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,727,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
^^ Why do people have to be all philosophical to enjoy Atlanta? That in itself shows a issue, perceived or not.
They dont.Its called context.You have to accept what a place as it is when visiting.Those that live here make the changes and they happen gradually.You can't expect where you came from is gonna be the same.
I also see often it being a double standard.Cities with say beaches and Mountain backdrop will get points for just having that.Even when getting there is not always easy.L.A. for example.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,914,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree with what you're saying, except for this. There are many more attractions in the city than just those two that don't have direct train service.
Such as? I'm limiting this to city proper by the way.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Such as? I'm limiting this to city proper by the way.
Carter Center
Fernbank
Virginia-Highland
Botanical Garden
Atlantic Station
History Center
MLK sites

Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,718,587 times
Quote:
Carter Center Bus Route 16
Fernbank Bus Route 2
Virginia-Highland Bus Route 2, 36
Botanical Garden 4 blocks from Arts Center and Midtown Station. Bus Route 27, 36, 99.
Atlantic Station Free shuttle from Arts Center Station, short 1/4 mile walk, Bus Route 37
History Center The Peach, Bus Route 101
MLK sites Short walk from King Memorial Station, Bus Route 99, 3
See bold for answers. Doing a little research on Google Maps\Transit layer will show the closest stop arrival times, and bus routes. Also, MARTA's website has a trip planner MARTA - Stop Lookup where one can enter the departure location and arrival locations to find the quickest, shortest walk, and least transfer routes via MARTA.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
See bold for answers. Doing a little research on Google Maps\Transit layer will show the closest stop arrival times, and bus routes. Also, MARTA's website has a trip planner MARTA - Stop Lookup where one can enter the departure location and arrival locations to find the quickest, shortest walk, and least transfer routes via MARTA.
That's all great, but taking a bus means there is not "direct train service" (waronxmas's phrase, not mine).

Also:
Lakewood Fairgrounds/Amphitheater
Chastain Park/Amphitheater.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,718,587 times
Quote:
That's all great, but taking a bus means there is not "direct train service" (waronxmas's phrase, not mine).

Also:
Lakewood Fairgrounds/Amphitheater
Chastain Park/Amphitheater.
Walking 1 mile is direct train service. For those more than 1 mile from a station it is not. The botanical gardens, AS and King Center are all less than 1 mile from a station. Most people are just too fat and lazy to walk that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta