Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,446 times

Advertisements

Sept 5 2012 release date

This shows that the Atlanta Falcons are worth about 837 million making it the 28th most valuable NFL football team. I thought that was a little low? I mean the Lions and Chargers are worth more than the Falcons. How does that work?

Football's Most Valuable Teams - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
I don't see a lot of people wearing Falcons merchandise. Heck, the last Falcons related merchandise I had was a winter skull cap, and I gave it away.

The Falcons don't really engender a lot of local love. For myself, even though I root for the Falcons because they are a local team, I don't really care for the football sport in general enough to go out an purchase tickets to see them.

I don't know if many others feel the way I do. But if they did, I can only surmise that it's the sort of general malaise-type of attitude that doesn't enhance the value of a football team.

At least that's how I see it, anyways.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Really? I see plenty of people with Falcons gear. You probably don't encounter people who wear Falcons gear because you don't like football. I mean they're the Falcons! Everyone loves the Falcons...

That's why this was surprising. I mean the Lions are the butt of every joke of every sports fan in Michigan. Are they supporting their team more than we are?

The Falcons have nearly a million "likes" on Facebook. That's a lot more compared to other teams that are worth more.

This is really a brain teaser.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,048 times
The Falcons just don't have the revenue of some of the bigger teams. The main reason is stadium income because tv revenue is split between all the teams. The Falcons get very little revenue compared to most teams because the GWCC gets a big cut of game day money. That is really about 90% of the reason Blank wants a new stadium, he wants the control over it and money from it.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM

730 posts, read 827,610 times
Quote:
A prime example of what separates Dallas from the league’s other 31 teams is the more than $80 million in sponsorship revenue Cowboys Stadium rakes in from companies such as Ford Motor, Bank of America, PepsiCo, Dr. Pepper and Miller Brewing, almost $20 million more than any other football team. Sponsorship revenue, unlike the NFL’s national television fees with NBC, Fox, ESPN and CBS, are not shared equally with the other teams.
Dallas Cowboys Lead NFL With $2.1 Billion Valuation - Forbes

So basically you have to build your brand and get the advertising revenue. Since Dallas is a brand and they get a lot of the prime time games, they are able to attract lots of sponsors. The falcons have had a 50 year history of losing. In fact they only recently had their first back-to-back winning seasons. So obviously their brand is not very popular. If they win the super bowl this year and continue to compete (like the patriots or steelers), then their value will go way up.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
The Falcons just don't have the revenue of some of the bigger teams. The main reason is stadium income because tv revenue is split between all the teams. The Falcons get very little revenue compared to most teams because the GWCC gets a big cut of game day money. That is really about 90% of the reason Blank wants a new stadium, he wants the control over it and money from it.
This. Valuation is correlated to the popularity of the franchise, but the stadium deal is every bit as important.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times
Why? No championship rings. The end

Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times
I refuse to buy a falcons or hawks ticket until they win a championship

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Well we seem to be improving with that 3% increase..

Hope the Falcons get a new stadium

Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Professional Football just isn't as pervasive in our society and we have plenty of other sports. The Braves seem be much more pervasive in our society/culture.

My aunts and uncles are from New Orleans and I once told him I don't really follow the Falcons and they aren't a big deal here, like the Saints are in NOLA. He looked at me like I was crazy and making excuses.... I was like no really... everyone moves here from all over loves their old football team or just watches college football. The Braves, however, rule this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta