Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,654,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Two points of clarification: According to both the Census and the link you provided, Georgia is already the 8th most populous state. Also, your link reports that Georgia already passed the 10 million mark. However, the Census estimate of July 1, 2012 (released in December) gave the population at 9,919,945. Believe whichever guestimate you want.

In answer to the question: Most population growth in Georgia (and elsewhere) is by natural increase (i.e. births minus deaths.) Net in-migration is increasing but still has a long way to go before returning to pre-recession levels. Also, while Metro Atlanta will likely always lead the state in numerical growth, percentage-wise healthy growth continues throughout the state, especially in Savannah, Augusta, Gainesville and Warner Robins. Some people mistakenly believe that Georgia growth is stagnant outside Metro ATL.
This is really interesting. I'm happy to know that other parts of Georgia are also developing. I'm also happy to know that people are immigrating here(hopefully from other countries)

Do you have any sources for your info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,911,416 times
The Census projects that North Carolina will become the 7th most populous state by 2030 with 12.8 million residents.

I'm glad Georgia continues to grow, but remember, everyone on this forum is against building any new roads or any new taxes, so Georgia's ultimate success and prosperity and mobility will continue to be stymied by that mindset.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM

10,737 posts, read 13,302,131 times
Ugh, more people = more traffic. Thems be my thoughts...

Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The Census projects that North Carolina will become the 7th most populous state by 2030 with 12.8 million residents.

I'm glad Georgia continues to grow, but remember, everyone on this forum is against building any new roads or any new taxes, so Georgia's ultimate success and prosperity and mobility will continue to be stymied by that mindset.
Maybe the new people will vote democrat? It sucks because most GA republicans are pitifully stupid...especially the young ones..but I actually agree with conservative thought. I mean some GA democrats are stupid too. When Obama won every single hobo at Georgia State along with most of the student population was twerking and dancing on the streets. It was so embarrassing. The reporters took pictures too.

I wish we could get all conservative philanthropy offers fiscally and in terms of social responsibility just without the religion and right wing white people nonsense. Forget gay marriage, forget abortion, forget all that nonsense that polarizes social liberals.

I'm undecided on defense spending though. A country as hated as the US...cutting defense...as the rest of the world is developing...hmm. I don't know about that.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,904,105 times
Mobility, education especially higher, and health care are areas the state desperately needs to improve on if we hope to remain successful. Two of our advantages over states like North Carolina are our economic engine in Atlanta, and our port in Savannah, two areas they can not match, however their higher education and transportation infrastructure are better than ours. We desperately need to raise our gas tax and improve our roads especially in Atlanta, which is a mess. Augusta, Columbus, Savannah or Macon have to take a higher position in the state and really secure that second economic engine for the state, like Raleigh is to Charlotte.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,912,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Maybe the new people will vote democrat? It sucks because most GA republicans are pitifully stupid...especially the young ones..but I actually agree with conservative thought. I mean some GA democrats are stupid too. When Obama won every single hobo at Georgia State along with most of the student population was twerking and dancing on the streets. It was so embarrassing. The reporters took pictures too.

I wish we could get all conservative philanthropy offers fiscally and in terms of social responsibility just without the religion and right wing white people nonsense. Forget gay marriage, forget abortion, forget all that nonsense that polarizes social liberals.

I'm undecided on defense spending though. A country as hated as the US...cutting defense...as the rest of the world is developing...hmm. I don't know about that.
The word conservative by its very definition means let things be as they are. This inhibits progress. Everyone is different but my exposure to conservative thought around the world is that its just too harsh and limits equal rights, investment and trust in science, limits acceptance of ppl different than oneself, etc. Thankfully Atlanta is progressive enough that it believes in a diverse population, science and education, gay rights, clean air, etc. Hopefully as rest of GA becomes more diverse it will catch up to Atlanta.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Mobility, education especially higher, and health care are areas the state desperately needs to improve on if we hope to remain successful. Two of our advantages over states like North Carolina are our economic engine in Atlanta, and our port in Savannah, two areas they can not match, however their higher education and transportation infrastructure are better than ours. We desperately need to raise our gas tax and improve our roads especially in Atlanta, which is a mess. Augusta, Columbus, Savannah or Macon have to take a higher position in the state and really secure that second economic engine for the state, like Raleigh is to Charlotte.
Yup.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
The word conservative by its very definition means let things be as they are. This inhibits progress. Everyone is different but my exposure to conservative thought around the world is that its just too harsh and limits equal rights, investment and trust in science, limits acceptance of ppl different than oneself, etc. Thankfully Atlanta is progressive enough that it believes in a diverse population, science and education, gay rights, clean air, etc. Hopefully as rest of GA becomes more diverse it will catch up to Atlanta.

Ok. Is diverse codename for black? Because diversity does not mean black people. And "diversity" has not helped Atlanta that much. It has not helped Atlanta. Atlanta is NOT diverse. It's black, white and gay.

I would like to see more Asian and hispanic representation. Especially Asian since Asians are the highest earners, invent the most technology, develop the coolest things, are the most educated, the most well rounded, those who commit the least amount of crime, hold honor and family values high and still participate in organized religion and old-country culture. Plus the food and Donnie Yen movies.

We won't become like Cali or Washington, but if that population grows then it'll be a plus for Georgia. Less redneck trailerparks, more international students. Please and thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,912,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Ok. Is diverse codename for black? Because diversity does not mean black people. And "diversity" has not helped Atlanta that much. It has not helped Atlanta. Atlanta is NOT diverse. It's black, white and gay.

I would like to see more Asian and hispanic representation. Especially Asian since Asians are the highest earners, invent the most technology, develop the coolest things, are the most educated, the most well rounded, those who commit the least amount of crime, hold honor and family values high and still participate in organized religion and old-country culture. Plus the food and Donnie Yen movies.

We won't become like Cali or Washington, but if that population grows then it'll be a plus for Georgia. Less redneck trailerparks, more international students. Please and thanks.
Metro Atlanta is definitely not just black and white. Perhaps you missed the Asian and Indian population in Gwinnett?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Metro Atlanta is definitely not just black and white. Perhaps you missed the Asian and Indian population in Gwinnett?
Don't forget about the humongous Hispanic population growth either. Note the map at this link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post27524206
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta