Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times

Advertisements

16 states are predicted to reach population milestones this month VIDEO VIDEO - The Business Journals

1 California
2 Texas
3 New York
4 Florida
5 Illinois
6 Pennsylvania
7 Ohio
8 Georgia
9 North Carolina
10 Michigan

On January 27, 2013 we're expected to have over 10 million people in Georgia. My question is where is this growth attributed to? Young and middle aged families moving to OTP Metro Atlanta's suburbs? South Georgia maybe to the quickly growing Augusta? Are they moving to neighborhoods in Atlanta? If so, midtown and Buckhead or College Park?

What do you think this will mean for Georgia? With more people brings more money into the state, more political power for the state and more opportunities for the state.

That is, if we're getting decent people moving here. If we're getting section 8 jobless muppets moving to southwest Atlanta..then we're probably not going to be better off.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Section 8 jobless muppets? You had to put that in there? How about racist uneducated tea partiers from surrounding red states?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Section 8 jobless muppets? You had to put that in there? How about racist uneducated tea partiers from surrounding red states?
Ah yes. I nearly forgot. Alabama fans. How careless of me. Thank you rorqual.

Them too

In all seriousness, what's going to happen?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Most of it is natural growth (births minus deaths). International immigration and domestic migration also play significant roles.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
What was it 10 years ago? It isn't relevant without knowing where it was and how far it has come.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM

Well I found this document from 1997. Georgia was on the higher end of the projection then. I know GA also upped it's electoral college vote count.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2/pop/p25/p25-1131.pdf

Obviously the population has increased, but I don't know how much in comparison to other states and the nation's 10-year average.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
I would like it to be a top 5 populous state with a diverse multi ethnic educated population...I would also like GA to invest more in education and R&D and move away from hating on schools and higher ed ("liberal indoctrination centers") so that the next Google can be from here.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I would like it to be a top 5 populous state with a diverse multi ethnic educated population...I would also like GA to invest more in education and R&D and move away from hating on schools and higher ed ("liberal indoctrination centers") so that the next Google can be from here.
Thankfully they are! At long last. The Georgia Economic Forum highlighted research and support for technological and healthcare investments. Georgia won't survive without modern day installments. I'm glad they're finally warming up to it.

Georgia, in comparison to other southern states, is more friendlier to higher ed. So we have that to be thankful for.

I think Georgia's population growth will be beneficial. We are seeing a big influx of international immigration. Sandy Springs and North Fulton is home to many Korean, Chinese and Indian Americans.

I'm sure we're getting some people looking for jobs. It's only natural, but I do think Georgia's in for a good bit of development and growth over the next 5-10 years

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Two points of clarification: According to both the Census and the link you provided, Georgia is already the 8th most populous state. Also, your link reports that Georgia already passed the 10 million mark. However, the Census estimate of July 1, 2012 (released in December) gave the population at 9,919,945. Believe whichever guestimate you want.

In answer to the question: Most population growth in Georgia (and elsewhere) is by natural increase (i.e. births minus deaths.) Net in-migration is increasing but still has a long way to go before returning to pre-recession levels. Also, while Metro Atlanta will likely always lead the state in numerical growth, percentage-wise healthy growth continues throughout the state, especially in Savannah, Augusta, Gainesville and Warner Robins. Some people mistakenly believe that Georgia growth is stagnant outside Metro ATL.

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-03-2013 at 03:23 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
With the increase in population Georgia needs to get a handle on its traffic issues and start investing in some form of rail-based transit. Commuter Rail and inter-city rail connecting towns and population centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta