Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM

472 posts, read 809,265 times

Advertisements

The Lakepoint Sports Complex is my favorite development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Under Construction

Elan Westside - 14th & Howell Mill

Walton Westside - Huff Road & Foster Street

Bohemian House O4W - Glenn Iris & Rankin :

AMLI Ponce Park - North Ave & Glenn Iris

92 West Paces - Buckhead :

Camden Paces - 77 E Andrews - Buckhead

Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times
Here's a residential development project in Buckhead...

Crescent Resources Starts Circle Terminus - Buckhead, GA Patch

Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I think these developments as a whole is going to take the metro area to another level.
The tourism here is going to be out of control soon once these projects open. I know new hotels are going to be needed around O4W and BA development. The area around 75/575 will be expecting over 8 million new visitors by 2014. Someone posted a thread about all the projects that were canceled. They will also complement each other. I'm sure the people visiting the sports complex will go shopping at the new outlet and they will probably want to go downtown to visit those attractions. These projects here are better than those projects imo. The Atl haters in other cities and countries that post in our forum are going to be mad
While being hated isn't the best, at least people are paying attention. In other words, it's better to be hated than ignored since it means that things are happening.

I don't know that these projects will take the tourism to another level, but at least there should be plenty more for visitors to do since there have been a couple of topics here lately that suggest (from both visitors and locals) that Atlanta doesn't have as much for tourists as its competition.

A couple of these projects are very similar to projects in my suburb of LA. We are also getting a Porsche track and a large outlet mall with condo's and apartments. I'm curious to see how each ends up comparatively. I'm hoping that we don't get low budget versions of what Atlanta gets, although I figure that ours will be smaller in size.

Out of curiosity how many of these projects are transit adjacent within 1/2 mile or so?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
While being hated isn't the best, at least people are paying attention. In other words, it's better to be hated than ignored since it means that things are happening.

I don't know that these projects will take the tourism to another level, but at least there should be plenty more for visitors to do since there have been a couple of topics here lately that suggest (from both visitors and locals) that Atlanta doesn't have as much for tourists as its competition.

A couple of these projects are very similar to projects in my suburb of LA. We are also getting a Porsche track and a large outlet mall with condo's and apartments. I'm curious to see how each ends up comparatively. I'm hoping that we don't get low budget versions of what Atlanta gets, although I figure that ours will be smaller in size.

Out of curiosity how many of these projects are transit adjacent within 1/2 mile or so?
Most of these projects will take tourism to a new level.

Ponce City Market is be the 4th relevant food hall in America and the only one in the south. The only other cities with one is San Fran, Seattle and NYC. Reports have shown that our food hall will be larger than all of the other food halls.

Buckhead Atlanta development will definitely have an impact on tourism. That area already has everything in place. This area has at least 20 stores that are closed in that immediate area. If you add the stores that are opening in this development plus the closed stores that will reopen that are currently closed, this will be a goldmine. People already travel to Buckhead from across the south to shop and this will only add to the tourism that is already here.

The two museums downtown will also bring in more tourist and help fill up the downtown hotels.

Lakepoint Sports Complex will surely bring in tourism. They plan having national tournaments their almost weekly. They are also expecting over 4 million visitors annually.

Emory Point and Avalon will not have an impact on tourism. These are mostly neighborhood projects.

The Outlet according to reports will have 4 million visitors per year. Im sure more than half will be local Atlanta residents but a good portion of people from Alabama, Tenn and from the rest of Ga will visit this development.

The only development near transit are the two museums in downtown.

BTW, regarding your statement about it not being nothing to do here. That statement is the same as if I said LA was boring because I judged LA because of the skid row section of downtown LA. You cant judge LA by downtown LA when the metro area has Santa Monica, Hollywood, Disney, Big Bear Mountain, etc.

Atlanta has plenty of stuff to do if you do your research. Most people just arrive in a city and judge the city by what is available 2 to 3 blocks around their hotel. Atlanta still has a lot of growing to do but compared to other cities we have the upper hand IMO

Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
ALL of these projects have either started construction or will very soon…
Given the history of some of the major projects, it might be prudent to count chickens after they are at least 25% done.

I think Buckhead Atlanta is only re-doing the parking area, in the block closest to Peachtree St. Early signs of confidence would be if existing buildings start filling up in that vicinity.

I doubt if Avalon has made any progress.

Lakewood Sports is really a concept IMO, until there it gets off the ground. Hopefully they execute. Looks like one of the promoters already has land in that area.

I think Ponce City market is being executed by some knowledgeable folks. Does the streetcar go there? I think it looks the most interesting. I have read articles questioning its location.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Given the history of some of the major projects, it might be prudent to count chickens after they are at least 25% done.

I think Buckhead Atlanta is only re-doing the parking area, in the block closest to Peachtree St. Early signs of confidence would be if existing buildings start filling up in that vicinity.

Lakewood Sports is really a concept IMO, until there it gets off the ground. Hopefully they execute. Looks like one of the promoters already has land in that area.

I think Ponce City market is being executed by some knowledgeable folks. Does the streetcar go there? I think it looks the most interesting. I have read articles questioning its location.
Go to the first page of this thread and read the links that I posted regarding the status of all of these projects. The only project that has not officially started yet is Avalon.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-06-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
To be clear I never said that Atlanta didn't have stuff to do, just that others have been saying it. But from a tourist perspective LA and Atlanta likely share some of the same problems. Attractions are spread out compared to places like NYC, DC, and SF. I know that they are here in LA and Atlanta seems like it may be similar.

Personally I'll be in Atlanta this summer for a family reunion and I'm looking forward to it.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM

101 posts, read 154,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post

Agreed. I don't think any of these will ever come to fruition. Why would Ponce City be the largest? Economically it doesn't make sense to the investors given the small and spread out population in Atlanta. You can't reach critical mass which is needed to make these projects thrive. Those other projects Tony listed have been touted for over a decade, and like most projects they're just hot air. They'll never happen. Investors take a look around Atlanta these days and don't want to risk their money in something going to fail.

They can see that the people in Atlanta these days aren't able to afford and support projects like this. Most all the new jobs are just call center jobs which I guess are better than no jobs. But they should stick to building new things like WalMart, Home Depot and Ross outlets stores in Atlanta. They carry a lower financial risk.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 AM

Did anyone actually read the links that I posted? You don't see the links that I posted regarding the status of each project? It's amazing how people choose to skip over certain parts of a thread. Go back and read post #4 because most of you all have no idea what you are talking about lol smh. Like it or not all of these projects are coming

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-07-2013 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta