Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM

368 posts, read 539,277 times

Advertisements

^It's possible, but not ideal.

Have you tried Hotwire? Just for example, they have a 4 star hotel in Downtown (likely the Sheraton or Westin) for the first weekend in February for $57 a night. Even though it's downtown (instead of midtown) it should be fine - walking distance from the Aquarium, World of Coke, and CNN Center; and an easy MARTA ride to either the airport or Midtown (High Museum of Art, Fox Theatre, Botanical Gardens). The nightlife in downtown is limited, but it's much better to be staying there than out by the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 AM

83 posts, read 207,107 times
Thanks I did see there are some good hotels downtown as well at good prices but somehow it almost seems people weren't too crazy about downtown, is it because its a dangerous area? i am guessing if its safe and close to midtown (accessible via Marta) downtown shouldn't be so bad then.....

Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post
Why are people so down on downtown? I sure as hell wouldn't get a hotel there, but I LIKE the "character" and the architecture down there. I suppose if you're not into that (or industrial photography) it's a pass, but I dunno. . .

Thank god no one suggested Virginia Highlands. Before I came here I kept on seeing that suggested as a "tourist" spot to visit and I don't get it. I still don't get it after having been a couple of times.
virginia-highland is a nice little neighbourhood with historic buildings filled with shops, restaurants and bars, get out of your car and walk from the fire station down to ponce de leon— there's plenty to do, there's nothing to "get". it's not a museum.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ8lbb View Post
Thanks I did see there are some good hotels downtown as well at good prices but somehow it almost seems people weren't too crazy about downtown, is it because its a dangerous area? i am guessing if its safe and close to midtown (accessible via Marta) downtown shouldn't be so bad then.....
Quote:
Thanks again! One quick curve ball though, I have been looking at prices and seems due to our schedule being over the weekend, staying Midtown is proving to be pretty pricey. It seems we can get much better pricing by staying around the airport for example but not sure how feasible that is. I understand some hotels have complimentary transportation to the airport and MARTA. Would it be feasible to stay for example at Marriott Airport hotel and from there take the MARTA to midtown in the morning spend the day there and then take the MARTA back up at night? Still without needing a car?
Or is this not worth it or not feasible?
I guess we're looking also for alternatives to staying in Midtown but still be close to MARTA to where we dont need a car to reach Midtown which is where we'll be spending most of the day.
Again if this is not worth it, or there's a better alternate area you'd suggest feel free to say so, just brainstorming here....
Thanks!!
if it's a money situation, all things being equal i'd recommend you stay downtown instead of out by the airport. most of the hotels around the airport are nice, but there are some real flophouses the airlines will put unsuspecting visitors in— for example the travelodge off of cleveland avenue, which was actually just featured in the movie "flight" as an "hourly" hotel, if you know what i mean.

the marriott sounds like it would be fine, but if the prices are the same, you would have a lot more fun staying downtown, feeling part of the city and all.

if you've got any more questions, feel free to ask us! i hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Downtown is not on the same level of prestige of Midtown, but its not dangerous. Defiantly stay downtown than airport, at least there you'll be minutes away from midtown and tourist areas instead of 15 minutes. MARTA runs until around 1am so it'll be easy to be in midtown or decatur at night, then catch MARTA downtown.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 AM

16 posts, read 39,910 times
Georgia Aquarium
Atlanta Botanical Gardens
Atlanta Zoo
Piedmont Park

If you want some good photos of the skyline either go to Stone Mountain or the top of the Lindbergh Marta Station parking deck or the balcony of a hotel in Buckhead (if you end up staying there).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 AM

66 posts, read 103,575 times
Quote:
I don't think downtown is dangerous so much but more that most people don't chose to live there and others are simply ignorant or scared. I have never had any problems in downtown nor felt in danger but some parts do look rough. Midtown looks nicer and is more alive at night. But there are bars and restaurants in downtown that stay open late but it seems like most people recommend midtown because of the reasons above. To me is not about dangerous but more about where there is more to do at night. I have seen many foreigners in downtown by themselves and never heard anything bad happening to them. I recently saw three Germans in downtown at night and they were walking around as if they were right at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta